Development on IL-2: Battle of Normandy is now well underway with the developers beginning to show us aircraft and talk about other elements of the title that are now underway. This week we’ve learned about some of the work being undertaken and we get our first look at the AI-only C-47A.
First look at the Dak!
It’s the DC-3, or the C-47 Skytrain to some and Dakota or ‘Dak to others but one way or another, IL-2: Great Battles will be introducing another aviation legend to the series. The C-47 was used heavily in the transport and aerial troop transport role during World War II and in various forms was used by dozens of Allied nations and even Japan which produced the aircraft under license. Another license version, the Li-2, was used by the Russians as transport and light bomber.
The screenshots show a nearly finished exterior for this current AI only aircraft. I’m still hoping that we’ll be allowed to fly this as a counterpart to the Ju52 at some point in the future although it may be a while before that happens.
Other developer notes
Today’s update also included some interesting notes on development including:
- Work on ground vehicles is currently being contracted out
- Development work on buildings is underway
- The size and bounds of the new Normandy map are now finalized, work has begun on the map including airfields
- Squadrons for Career mode have been prepared
- Visual models on three aircraft have begun and the flight model for the P-47D-22 is also underway
In short, a lot of motion is now happening on IL-2: Battle of Normandy and it looks like the project is proceeding well despite any disruptions that the team is currently experiencing.