It was clear from the onslaught of videos over the last few days that the DCS: P-47 and DCS: Channel Map were coming very soon. Then yesterday they showed up on the Steam store with a June 3rd release date and it was unclear if that was actually going to happen or not – well… it has and here they are!
Thunderbolt’s across the channel
The DCS: P-47 and DCS: The Channel Map come alongside several dozen changes in the latest DCS Open Beta (version 184.108.40.206321) but of course the standout content are the two new pieces of content that add to the DCS: WWII theme in dramatic fashion. The P-47D-30 is launching into early access with some key features specific to this late war version of the P-47.
The D-30 variant specifically modeled includes:
- P-47D-30 late cockpit with K-14 gunsight
- New, round-shaped throttle
- Electrical bomb release selector
- The aircraft has a dorsal fin that improves directional stability
The following munitions are also modeled:
Not included are any rockets at this point although it is early access and I would guess that those will likely come later.
The Channel Map
Meanwhile, The Channel map also has arrived with its own impressive feature list. This second DCS WWII themed map covers a separate area from the Normandy map (making the two complementary) and has the potential for a more wide ranging set of narratives set during WWII. A key item that separates it from the Normandy map is the fact that it also features highly detailed areas on both sides of the channel map rather.
Here are the features as advertised by Eagle Dynamics:
- 40,000 square kilometres covering the English Channel region, set in the Second World War era.
- A new level of DCS World object detail that includes the Chain Home radar stations, cities and towns, ports, airfields, factories, and much more
- Authentic recreations of the ports of Dover, Folkstone, Newhaven in England and Boulogne-Sur-Mer, Calais, and Dunkirk in occupied France.
- The White Cliffs of Dover and the Seven Sisters – A detailed recreation of the Dover Castle complex and other fortifications
- Nine authentic airbases with grass and paved runways in England and Occupied France – Occupied France airfields include Abbeville Drucat, Dunkirk Mardyck, Merville Calonne, Saint Omer Longuenesse.
- Airfields in England include Detling, Hawkinge, Lympne, Manston and ALG USAAF High Halden.
- Inclusion of the V-1 Flying Bomb launch sites in Occupied France.
Both DCS: The Channel Map and DCS: P-47 are available on the DCS Store and on Steam. They are currently going for a $10 discount on each coming in at $39.99 for both individually. Although there was a little speculation of there being a bundle deal, at present there is not yet a bundle although it’s possible that we might see one later on down the line.
Of course, no DCS World launch is complete without a brilliantly executed trailer. Enjoy this trailer advertising both the new map and the P-47 and look out for plenty of updated shots of the DCS: Mosquito FB.VI that is planned for later this year.