Do you fly the season that is outside?

I’m getting my first taste of fall this past weekend with a blustery fall day filled with rain showers and darkened skies. To get into the season I’ve found myself flying more autumn themed scenarios in the last few days to match. What about you? Do you tend to fly the season that is outside?

A career to match the weather

MiG-3-landed.jpg

To replace my Allied fighter pilot career (after my previous pilot came to an unfortunate end) I’ve started flying Battle of Moscow missions in with the I-16 and MiG-3 as my primary types. The skies are filled with clouds most days and the leaves have all turned in anticipation of the winter to come.

I-16-golden

It’s funny that I’m now drawn back to IL-2: Battle of Moscow and this scenario after flying most of my missions over a spring and summer Kuban all summer long. I find it interesting that, although not exclusively, I tend to fly my careers that way.

Its not limited to IL-2 either. I’ve been wanting to fly more missions over the Caucasus with the fall leafs and I’m definitely going to be doing more of that no doubt.

M2000c-Caucasus-autumn-takeoff

What about you?

I’m curious if others find themselves doing the same thing? DCS, IL-2, and Rise of Flight all have plenty of seasonal variations available with spring, summer, fall (or autumn), and winter scenery all available.

Do you seek out the same kinds of scenery as is outside? Or is it the opposite? Maybe you’ve never thought about it before and now I’ve planted the idea. Curious to know what others think.

1. Capt. Zoomy says:

Yeah, I feel compelled to do the same when the seasons change. I used to do this all the time in FSX. Flew only with the time and weather that it was at in real life where I was at.

2. Huckle says:

Same, and applies to any videogame with an obvious season/climate.

3. Habsburger says:

I have been thinking of starting a Rise of Flight-career in autumn 1916. This is the month when Oswald Boelcke’s Jasta 2 (including a certain rookie fighter pilot called von Richthofen or something) received their Albatros D-series fighters and started to wrest air superiority back from the Entente. It feels somehow fitting to begin the career now in the same month and same season.

Unlike the official career mode,Pat Wilson’s Campaign Generator (have you heard of it previously? Would make a cool blog post topic) allows me to fly with the historical aces and is fully customizable, so I can have the future Red Baron take my rookie pilot on a familiarization flight to the front lines.

I tend to fly all seasons whenever I feel like it, but there is definitely a compelling feeling to flying the same season as in the real world. (And same goes for flying night missions at night).

4. Nil says:

I fly mostly on summer, but, you game me the taste to fly other seasons! thanks! will try it out

Totally – baking flat / winter map is too much for my brain.

6. Michael Dwyer says:

The hardest missions I think I have done was Pe-2 bombing on the Stalingrad winter map. There are just no useful landmarks so you have to time everything and you can’t be sloppy with your holding a course. I did terrible but it was interesting to try. I might give it a go again now that I have the A-20.

Have you flown many winter missions since 3.001 came out with the updated winter lighting? The shadows and depth appear much better.