DCS: A-10C Warthog is up next for free trial

The Warthog is still, many years after it’s release, one of the premier modules for DCS World. The in-depth simulation of the A-10C set Eagle Dynamics on a course to produce more modules and bring in third parties to build modules aimed at creating that same level of intense detail and systems interaction. The A-10 is really quite something special and for the next two days it’s available to fly for free.

Ultimate tank killer, close air support extraordinaire

Conceived as a tank killer and intended to help level the playing field against the superior numbers of the then Soviet military’s armored divisions, the A-10C Thunderbolt II is best known by it’s nickname – I am of course speaking of the ‘Warthog.’

Contrary to the fast jets of the USAF, the A-10C was purpose built for flying low and slow with an armored bathtub protecting the pilot, a massive 30mm rotary cannon runs the length of the aircraft, and on its wings can hang a variety of precision and less than precise weaponry. The A-10 is a beast of an aircraft.

The USAF has attempted to retire the aircraft time and time again but it’s superior close air support attributes combined with purpose built systems makes it a specialist that is hard to replace.

A-10 is available March 26 and March 27. Check the schedule to see what’s next.

Tutorials to get you started

The A-10C requires a lot of knowledge to really get the most out of it and I’ve never really had a chance to really get into the aircraft and learn it. But I have watched many tutorials for it and there are some excellent ones out there. Here are just a few!

Want to go more in-depth? Check out Chuck Owl’s Guide on the A-10C.

1. CanadaOne says:

Morning,

Now this one I’ve really been looking forward to. I really like the A-10A and I want to see the upgraded cockpit. After watching a few tutorials I’m pretty sure I don’t/won’t like the systems, but we’ll see. But I’ve always loved the A-10.

Another day off today, maybe I’ll fly this thing around a bit. Or a lot.

If you love the A-10, this is worth a look. It’s been difficult for me to really get into the A-10C but I have hopes that one day it will just click.

I need to spend more time with it!

Good luck!

2. CanadaOne says:

Thanks. Unfortunately, it’s a no go. The level of complication is way past me. I saw it right away. That said, I’d pay $10 to have that level of eye candy in the A-10A cockpit. I really like that plane.

Another demo down. I might be running out of planes that interest me. The Spitfire is the next I’d consider getting. Mind you, the F-18 was fun and with the carrier, it might happen.

“Thunderbolt II”, I think.

“Lightning II” is the F-35, though articles suggest that it has now been nick-named “Panther” by the USAF.

Well that’s embarrassing. Let me fix that one right up like it didn’t happen 😉 Thanks!

4. CanadaOne says:

Since we like your site so much, you are forgiven, sir. 😀

Oh thank you kind sir! 😉