Flight Simulator celebrates 2-years with sale, announcements and live stream

If you can believe it, it’s been 2-years now since Microsoft Flight Simulator went live and shook the foundations of the flight sim world. In the two years since then, the sim has taken on a progressively larger audience bringing in veteran sim pilots and curious newbies alike. So for the team at Asobo and Microsoft, today was yet another occasion to celebrate the work done so far and highlight what they are up to next. There’s a lot going on so here are some highlights!

World Update XI: Canada!

World Update XI is… Canada! I am overjoyed and very excited to see what Asobo can do for the Canadian scenery experience in Microsoft Flight Simulator. I’m a little biased as I hail from there.

The new world update is due September 27 and will include the usual array of updated digital elevation models, 89 points of interest, 12 updated city photogrammetry, 3 landing challenges, 3 bush trips, 3 discovery flights and 5 new airports.

The remote Iqaluit airport is among them which is very exciting as this is an airport that see’s a wide variety of airplanes landing there if they divert during a long distance trans-atlantic flight. It’s also a key cold weather testing airport. Neat to see!

The Q&A

Asobo and Microsoft are back with Jorg, Sebastian, and Martial doing a new live stream Q&A to mark both the occasion and to update us on the latest. The complete experience is available on Twitch.TV right now with a YouTube version likely due in a day or two.

The Q&A was wide ranging bringing in the latest on everything from helicopters to the G1000NXi project.

Here are some key points:

• Sim Update 10 is delayed by two weeks (and will release in September).
  • They are working with nVidia to improve DX12 performance.
  • Working with AMD to bring in FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) for a future update.
  • WorkingTitle’s G1000NXi project is nearly complete and will replace the standard G1000 in Sim Update 10. The G1000NXi will remain in the marketplace until third parties have converted over to the new version.
  • ATR 72 project is well underway. Jorg mentioned it as being “done when it’s done” with a goal date somewhere around the end of this year or early next. It may be part of an “Expert Series” of releases.
  • VFR map updates were demoed offering a huge amount of additional features there.
  • The previously mentioned world update for Canada was mentioned together with a comment from Jorg that the DeHavilland Beaver was originally intended to be a local legend but now is shipping free with the 40th Anniversary update.

This Q&A also brought with it a short demo of the Cabri G2 helicopter. This is one of the two helicopters that they have announced for the 40th Anniversary update. We saw some visualizations of what the helicopter is doing with the flight model with each line representing the calculations that are going on to make this a realistic helicopter experience.

50+ items on sale

For two days, starting today, there are fifty plus items on sale in the Marketplace. These include discounts on the Premium Deluxe Upgrade, all of the previously released Asobo aircraft (i.e. the Aviat Husky A-1C, Model 18, Fokker F.VII, etc.), and the Reno Air Racing bundles and aircraft.

See the announcement here!

1. CanadaOne says:

Canada you say? That rings a bell.

Looking forward to that. Would love to see them really hit Newfoundland and the Yukon. And Montreal.

You may have heard of that country before ๐Ÿ˜‰

Curious to see where we have DEM updates. Flying up to Iqaluit the last time I did an airliner tour had so many weird peaks in the terrain.

2. James Cox says:

Canada eh? I always thought you were in the UK for some reason, ha!

I tend not to make where Iโ€™m from too big a deal – but when they announce Canada is getting a world update I sort of have to jump up and down for a moment! ๐Ÿ˜€

3. I’m stoked for the Canada update. I fly almost exclusively VFR in Canada.

4. Redglyph says:

For information, I saw that Steam does the anniversary sale too. For that kind of software, I usually prefer not to be attached to Steam, but some don’t mind or prefer to have everything there.

It’s nice to have one’s country getting a revamp ๐Ÿ™‚ I suppose that before those updates, you only have the raw result coming from Bing and their algorithm that retouches the scenery and creates the 3D items like buildings, trees and so on? Is it good enough or is the update really necessary to enjoy it?

Tricky question: disregarding the aircraft and perhaps the current discount, do you think that it’s better to get the premium or deluxe edition for their airports, or is it better to save the money and buy airport sceneries from an Orbx or similar vendor? Are those additional airports well made in comparison to an Orbx one?

That’s a really good question. At the time the Premium Deluxe was a good way to get some extra airplanes and airports. Now there are so many airplanes and airports that are arguably more detailed than the ones included in the premium pack that it’s a harder recommendation.

If you REALLY want to fly something/somewhere in the pack have a good hard look at it. Otherwise, stock up on some Orbx scenery and third party airplanes later.

2. t5s_blanco says:

Speaking from my perspective alone, I bought the full premium deluxe super duper edition on day 1 two years ago. I bought Premium for Chicago-O’Hare and the 787-10 and steam C172 largely, which is more or less my home airport, and a couple planes I wanted. O’Hare is decently modelled, and looks about right. But that said, most all of the expanded content are international airports, and I find I use those rarely as time has gone on overall, choosing to fly more regional and small airports or out in the bush in classic GA planes and such. I am not even sure I flew to all 10 of them even once. Probably not. The only plane from the collection I personally use some is the C172 classic with the “steam” gauges. Or as I call them, analog gauges. I’ve puttered around with the 787 some, but I mean like maybe an hour. So it became for me O’Hare and the C172 for $60 USD. So I don’t get a lot of value out of it. But YMMV as the saying goes.

I am not saying I regret anything (never regret a decision, life’s too short for that, just make new better decisions I always say), but you will probably get more value spending that money elsewhere on specifically what you want than you will on Premium deluxe. If there is a sale on the PD version, that helps the calculus, and/or if you have a bias for airliner flying and in particular long haul stuff to those type of international destinations.

3. Redglyph says:

Thanks both for your feedback! ๐Ÿ™‚

The available airports are a good indication, indeed. I’m usually enjoying smaller airports and flying with GA planes from specific vendors (A2A when they release the Comanche, Milviz’s 310), I rarely even try the default airplanes or only to test if the sim is installed correctly. So I’ll probably stay away from the most expensive packages.

4. Urgent Siesta says:

The Premium edition is a nice deal for the extra airports. The cool thing is that the extras are spread around the world much more than even payware airports are, so it helps encourage exploration far afield!
      The extra aircraft are nice, too, especially now that most of them have community improvement mods that increase their level of fidelity (e.g., Heavy Division 787).

The Hand Crafted airports are indeed payware grade (particularly in comparison to default airports in the older sims), though they are intentionally not at the new levels of high detail established by MSFS devs.

And here’s the real secret: there’s been an utter EXPLOSION of quality freeware airports available. So much so that there’s really no need to purchase any but a few of your favorite airfields where the extra detail is worth the cost.
      Check out flightsim.to and be prepared to be blown away ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m finding that what i’m purchasing these days instead of payware airfields are the regional scenery enhancements, like Orbx South America & Orbx Himalayas. As well as some of the City Packs.

1. Redglyph says:

That’s disturbing, do we still need regional scenery add-ons to make it look realistic in VFR?

No, not at all. Microsoft are releasing World Updates for different regions for free so if you want better meshes and more points of interest in your region these are very good to install. But even if you don’t, this sim still looks better than virtually anything you’ve ever seen. Especially out of the box.

There are places in the world, however, where the imagery is less good and it won’t be as impressive. And that’s where we have added scenery coming in.

5. Gamerdoc says:

They’d better have the Pearson and the Fairmont hotel in Lake Louise…