I’m a competent fighter pilot and a dedicated mud mover – I’ll fly attack planes and fighter-bombers at low altitude (in “the weeds” so to speak) all day long. But level bombing is something I always admired others doing and something I only achieved limited success in previous IL-2 games.
It’s taken me over two years (and very few tries) but I’ve achieved my first real successful level bomb sortie and I needed to write something about it.
I’ve missed the target, been blown off course, incorrectly calculated (or understood) the wind drift and generally flubbed most of my bomb runs. Today I managed to get it right. It’s thanks to dhillr’s level bomb tutorial. He made it for the Ju88A-4 but you can do it in the Pe-2 just fine as well.
My own suggestions are to:
- Study the map first and understand what and where your target is (and make a mental note of any nearby landmarks)
- Spend the time required to plug in all of the variables, get that wind drift calculation done right
- Use the view mode to spot your target, switch to targeting mode once you’re ready to actually drop the bombs
- Double check everything – heading, speed, altitude and get those bomb bay doors open (if you’re carrying bombs internally)
- Order your flight to do as you do, that way they will drop when you drop
Also… cross your fingers. I still have a long way to go!