DCS: AJS-37 Viggen flash sale!

Heatblur made a surprise announcement that their DCS: AJS-37 Viggen module is now available on sale for 60% off the regular price knocking the module down to $23.99. That’s probably the cheapest I’ve seen this module.

Supersonic on the deck

ajs37-fullpower

The AJS-37 Cold War era variant of the famous Swedish jet fighter. The AJS-37 version is a 1990s upgrade and is optimized for low altitude strike and anti-ship missions. It particularly excels at flying along the surface of the ocean skimming waves at speeds above Mach 1. It also has legendary short field landing and take-off abilities thanks to its powerful engine and thrust reverser.

I own the Viggen but haven’t spent too much time with it yet. It’s ideal for the pilot who wants that 1960s-1980s feel to a jet with what is largely an analog experience (although the AJS-37 does have a flight computer bringing it up to 1990s era tech) with lots of dials and gauges and knobs to turn to make this jet do its thing.

Flash sale on Heatblur’s website

This sale is available via purchase on Heatblur’s website and can then be activated in DCS World after purchase.

More information available on the Heatblur website.

1. 79vRAF says:

It’s well worth every penny. I was getting into it and then, like everything else, Harrier appeared. Once you get your head around the analogue systems they’re not as intimidating as they at first appear. Starting it is easy and it seems to accelerate faster than anything in the game, on the deck! It has got the Maverick missile, but using that sight is a challenge!

Best thing to remember is that it is only evert meant to make one pass and then run away! Unload what you’ve got and don’t hang about!

2. Michael Dwyer says:

I need this sale to end quickly so I can stop resisting the urge to get this on sale. I haven’t gotten Tank Crew yet…damnit

3. Francesco Kasta says:

I am with Michael here, I am trying to resist the urge as well! The price makes it very appealing now but it really isn’t about the money to be honest. Even though it is one of the best modules out there, it is also one of those planes that I would only get out of curiosity and never put in the time to learn properly, which would be a shame.

I purchased almost every single module out there but I only ever use the same three aircrafts nowadays. That’s because DCS modules require considerable time and effort to become proficient with them, each module is an “investment” in every respect.

So true! I have the Viggen, think it’s very cool, but I haven’t invested the time yet. It’ll happen eventually and I keep tinkering with it here and there.

What are your three go tos?

1. Francesco Kasta says:

It is only with the Ka-50, the Harrier and the Hornet that I can manage to carry out a realistic mission… I am still learning the Hornet though. I used to spend a lot of time with the Mig-21 as well but it has been gathering dust since the Harrier was released and now I have already forgotten half the procedures.

Sometimes I engage in a Mig-15 vs Sabre dogfight just for fun but my knowledge of these two birds is very limited. I like them because they are pretty simple to operate and easy to learn.

Truth be told I have always been a WWII fanatic but DCS never managed to scratch my itch in that regard and, I hope I am wrong, I think it never will. Even in the Normandy map the air battles feel clunky and out of place.

2. Mischiew Rithe says:

That’s exactly how Francesco put it. I also have it but it has never been love on first sight. I went through some of the training missions a couple of times, months apart, and it’s not obvious why I only have only spent so little time on a module that seems interesting.
      In the end, and that’s very personal, I find that my time is much more a concern than the price tag, and unfortunately there’s too little time to go deep into several modules at once. Since being only superficial is not rewarding, as long as this learning barrier is not overcome the Viggen will mostly remain in the attic.
      Another important motivating factor is DLC, but probably for a later stage, to keep the interest going once the module has been extensively studied. I’m not sure it’s possible to appreciate the campaigns if one is not proficient enough with a plane or helicopter, that’s probably what puts many people off if they don’t have enough time and patience to study the aircraft first.
      Perhaps too many study-level modules is not a good thing, I’ve been too greedy 😉

4. Capt. Zoomy says:

I liken the Viggen to a Swedish F-105.Though the F-105 was designed originally to drop nuclear bombs and the Viggen to take out ships, they both opted for a high-speed (supersonic) low-high-low or even low-low-low mission profile. They are both crazy-fast for bombers, especially ones which spend so much time on the deck, and they both use radar as their primary sensor. And like the ‘105 there is something about it that is both primitive, but, at the same time absolute awesome. I’ve had the Viggen since it’s launch, though I haven’t done much with it. Lately, though, I’ve been thinking of using it’s similarity to the F-105 to recreate some of the missions depicted in the book “Clashes” by Marshall L. Michel III.

5. gflinch says:

Thanks, Bought! Now running from wife 🙂

Hopefully on the deck at Mach 1.1 🙂

6. Michael Dwyer says:

Well sadly I would have to say my top 3 are the Harrier, the A-20B, and Spitfire Vb (I know I am cheating on those answers, really I only have the AV8 for DCS).

I like MISCHIEW’s comments about DLC, the Tarawa added a lot to the Harrier, but I am not sure what would go with the Viggen, Swedish Bikini team anyone?

I have a few other modules I would like to add, one needs to be a helo, but I am not excited about any of the current modules. I recently found a photo of my dad standing on a carrier deck in front of an F-86/FJ-2, so I am drawn to that. Although I haven’t heard if the aircraft has a naval version available.

If the Super Tucano comes out I will get that. My pals and I flew a lot of missions in AT-6’s in Arma 3 and that would be great to have.