The DCS: MiG-29’s improved flight model is now live

It’s been a long time but Eagle Dynamics has finally taken the wrapper off of the DCS: MiG-29 professional flight model update and brought the MiG-29A, G and S up to par with the Su-27, Su-33 and F-15 from the Flaming Cliffs 3 pack. It’s a great day for MiG-29 fans, that’s for sure!

Professional Flight Model

MiG-29S-over-water

The PFM system that Eagle Dynamics has been busy upgrading their older aircraft to is the best of what Eagle Dynamics can offer right now when it comes to flight model fidelity.

PFM puts a level of detail into the flight dynamics that make aircraft feel more real than anything else that Eagle Dynamics has been able to offer before and it works. The F-15C, Su-27, and Su-33 have all received the PFM treatment. So too has the A-10C and the F/A-18C DCS world modules which also use that same method.

The MiG-29 was the most glaring of the remaining aircraft with a flight model dating far back into DCS World’s past.

First impressions

MiG-29S-green-and-green

I’ve had less than 20 minutes with the new PFM model of the MiG-29 but I’m pleased to report that it works, there are some differences, and landings are a bit more interesting than before.

In all of its main attributes, the MiG-29 feels about the same as it did pre-atch. Powerful and capable in a turn and climb with effective elevators and incredible acceleration. The MiG-29 is an impressive fighter and remains so under the PFM.

The biggest differences I’ve noticed in flight are that the aircraft behaves with a little more weight and inertia. Hitting the rudder rapidly left and right induces oscillations in the direction of the aircraft that were not well represented before either. Rolling into a turn or pulling tightly can be achieved but it feels like you’ve got the weight of the aircraft behind you.

At the edge of the aircraft’s envelope where extreme angles of attack are experienced, the MiG-29 now behaves far closer to the real one where before the flight model tended to start doing “weird” things and flying in ways that didn’t seem very realistic. That’s all gone now.

And then there’s landing. I was warned that landing a MiG-29 would cause an unwanted bounce so I aimed for what should have been a pretty good landing. It wasn’t.

MiG-29S-bouncy

Granted, I’ve been spoiled by the F/A-18Cs fairly aggressive ability to absorb impacts without issue but this was a pretty decent landing plus an incredible bounce from the gear that translated into a minor crash causing a skid along the runway. It wasn’t an auspicious start and it remains to be seen if this is a problem with technique that many are experiencing or if this is a bug of some kind.

The damage model when interacting with the ground is now substantially better than before. Previous impacts like the one I sustained would have resulted in an instant fireball. This was far more nuanced.

One more change that I and others have noticed. With the center line fuel tank fitted, the MiG-29s air brakes are non functional. A realistic consideration.

Vapour effects too

MiG-29S-vapours

Another related update is that the MiG-29 now has vapour effects increasing the number of aircraft with that effect being displayed.

This effect helps bring the MiG-29 up to the same level as the other Flaming Cliffs 3 aircraft and paves the way for the release of Modern Air Combat still officially scheduled for launch sometime this fall.

Now what

With the MiG-29 now available with a PFM, it’s widely expected to be sold as an individual model and that may come as soon as the next stable patch comes out. Look for more news on that closer to the end of the week.

Will Eagle Dynamics now upgrade the flight models of the remaining types under earlier systems. That remains to be seen although the MiG-29 was by far the most deserving with the oldest flight model in DCS World.

It’s a new day for the DCS: MiG-29!

Video of the MiG-29 PFM in action

The DCS community has been quick to jump to creating videos showing off the new flight model in action.

1. boxcarleader says:

i love that airframe…so looking forward to it

I highly recommend checking it out. The MiG-29 is a real beauty and a high performer though a little twitchy.

2. Capt. Zoomy says:

Actually, I believe all the Flaming Cliffs 3 flyable aircraft now have PFM. The Su-25T was the first aircraft to be given one. It got it right from the start when it was launched with the Flaming Cliffs add-on for Lock On. The Su-25 (I suppose you could call it the Su-25A) got it’s PFM when it was made a stand-alone module. The A-10A, likewise, inherited the A-10C flight model when it was made stand alone. And as you said the F-15C, Su-27, and Su-33 all have updated flight models now. I believe the only aircraft lacking PFM or EFM(AFM, or whatever they want to call it) are 3rd party aircraft (I’m looking at you C-101) and their developers are all working towards that goal. I am, in fact, hoping we see the C-101 get it’s EFM before the end of the year.

I’ve been using this admittedly old reference list from Matt Wagner as my source: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=122801

That suggests the A-10C has PFM and the A-10A is AFM+ standard and that the Su-25T is the next lowest on the list with AFM (still a massive upgraded over SFM). I haven’t been able to find any details to contradict this but I’m happy to be wrong on this if there’s a better info source.

1. Capt. Zoomy says:

No you’re probably more technically correct. To me there really isn’t much difference, in practical terms between AFM, AFM+, or PFM. The alphabet soup of what they are calling it seems to change depending on who and when they are talking about it, but, in the end, they are all sophisticated flight models that attempt to model the physics of flight more realistically then the Standard Flight Model did and get a more fluid and less “on rails” feeling to flight. No matter which 3 letter code they have, I believe they are all now using something other than SFM.

3. Capt. Zoomy says:

What did you think of the cockpit? I’ve heard a lot of complaints that it looks unfinished, like there are certain layers that are missing.

I didn’t look closely at the MiG-29 cockpit so no immediate impressions other than it looks like it has for a while now. Decent but not the most beautiful cockpit.

I’ll give it some more scrutiny!

1. Capt. Zoomy says:

The bulk of the complaints I read seemed to be that under certain lighting conditions within the sim the cockpit textures look flat and cartoonish (essentially un-textured). Some folks had poked around in the PSD files and said that there are layers missing from the new cockpit files that were there in the older versions. Some of the screen shots I saw did look rather “unfinished”. I haven’t got into the plane yet myself in a long time and wouldn’t know how to fix the problem even if I did see it. I was just curious if it was obvious or not. Too me it seems far less of an issue than the flickering MiG-15 cockpit bug, for example, and it is still in Beta, so there’s at least half a chance they will devote some time to fixing it if it is truly a bug and not a feature.

I’ll have a closer look tonight and see if I can compare some old and new to see what the difference is.

4. So sad ED is not allowed to medel full fidelity MiG-29. The real MiG-29 avionics is completely different and it hardly resembles what we have now in DCS.

That’s definitely an unfortunate situation. Having a high end REDFOR aircraft would very much be appreciated by many.

The future JF-17 and MiG-23 are likely the closest we’ll see.

2. Capt. Zoomy says:

Yeah, my understanding is that the Russian government isn’t comfortable about revealing details about their more current avionics and are the main impediment to this. Personally, I’d be jumping up and down just to get a clickable cockpit version of current models of MiGs and Sukhois in the Flaming Cliffs.

1. Błażej Seremak says:

There was a discussion, it’s not about secrets of a plane from 1983, half of the world used MiG-29A. Russian materials would not be needed to model it. It’s a political issue, after the Crimea Russian government became paranoid.

It’s an interesting situation to be sure. While I don’t want to venture into politics at all on this blog, I do want to skirt the edge and say that my hope (and I am always a bit of an optimist) is that the current situation will eventually change in a more positive way somehow and that Eagle Dynamics will be in a position to model the Su-27 or MiG-29 to full DCS World level.

Until then we’ll have to be satisfied with the other options coming our way – of which there are many!