New DCS: F-14 and MiG-19 videos surface, new F-14 RIO tease

The first month of 2019 has been dominated by news from Heatblur and RAZBAM with their respective DCS World modules taking up a lot of the attention. Both DCS: F-14 and DCS: MiG-19 are attracting a lot of attention as these two very different modules push forward towards release. New videos are out with new gameplay videos plus a teaser of the RIO position for the F-14.

RIO teaser

What we haven’t yet seen in all of the attention surrounding the F-14 is the back-seat. The RIO (or Radar Intercept Officer) manages the AWG-9 radar, the navigation systems, and helps keep the task of flying the F-14 manageable.

I should note for anyone who hasn’t read too extensively about this module – the backseat will be controlled by an AI called JESTER. If you want, however, you can hop back there yourself or in multiplayer you can fly as a two person team.

The RIO seat is still very much a work in progress but we’re seeing our first images of this area of the F-14 thanks to an update from Heatblur on their Facebook page.

Pair of F-14 gameplay videos

Jabbers and Ralfi took the skies of the Persian Gulf to perform a CAP mission with the F-14. You can watch the same mission from two different perspectives as both of these YouTubers recorded the game from their perspective. It’s a cool way to enjoy the F-14 while waiting for Heatblur to release it to early access.

And here is the same mission from Ralfi’s perspective.

Splashing Sabres in the MiG-19

Growling Sidewinder goes on a Sabre hunt in his latest video, this time featuring the DCS: MiG-19. This video features a couple of short fights with some F-86 Sabres and a surprising outcome with the R-13 missiles.

Release please?

I’m sure we’re all about at the same stage right now where excitement has reached that point where were ready for the modules to release already. The F-14 probably has several weeks of work still left to get it to early access and RAZBAM is doing everything they can to make the DCS: MiG-19P a full release right from day one.

Nice videos. The MiG looks like a load of fun.

2. 79vRAF says:

I’m becoming increasingly tempted by the Mig, it should make a nice change on the Cold War server to all the Mig-21’s you’re faced with…wonder how many will take it over the Fishbed though.

3. Francesco Kasta says:

The process of getting to know an aircraft and its systems is part of the fun but some modules are so complex and time consuming in this regard that I will personally never learn them in depth, having a very short attention span.

This is why I welcome aircrafts like the Mig. What appeals to me is that, being a fairly simple aircraft, it shouldn’t be that hard to learn. I could spend on it considerably less time and still have my money’s worth.

4. boxcarleader says:

YO Sham cant wait for the F-14 to show itself i love the mix of modern and analogue. Im hoping this aircraft fits me as i have been siming so long i know that finding the aircraft that fits you is way more important that forcing yourself to fly what you think is the best… A6M guy here many hours in it…. OH and also was tons of fun flying with you on the FC furball 1/27/19 hope to see you there again soon.

That’s definitely an important part of the flying process. Learning the aircraft that fits you the best can really make a difference. I’m finding when it comes to modern aircraft I like a lot but its the F/A-18C that is really the one that clicks with me. I’m curious to see how I feel flying the F-14 – it will be fun though!

Great fun flying with you as well! Hopefully one of these sessions I will actually get some kills. I really need to learn to crank those turns even more than I am.

5. boxcarleader says:

all about smooth but rough movements brother … those old fighters were wood canvas and rope they can pull themselves into a stall or spin easy its speed that breaks the wings not the pull … as its hard to get over 5 Gs at 80mph

6. boxcarleader says:

also i like the F-18 but im waiting for more of it to be finished before i get into it

7. P51DMatt says:

The wait for the F-14 is killing me. I think having pre-ordered it makes the wait even worse.

1. boxcarleader says:

yeah me too brother.

8. Boris_CRO says:

Never preorder stuff. Think this rule is as old as Steam.

1. P51DMatt says:

This is the only thing I’ve ever pre-ordered.

And furthermore, considering Heatblur’s track record, I think I’m pretty safe lol.

I think you’re pretty safe with this pre-order. I don’t do many pre-orders but the Hornet and the Tomcat I made exceptions for.

It’s more a matter of the waiting after you’ve purchased it than any concern at this point that it may not be finished or disappear into vapourware.

I suspect most fans know what Heatblur are trying to do here and are willing to wait. It’s just REALLY difficult! 🙂

2. boxcarleader says:

naw when you save serious money its way worth it … it does make the wait harder but as P51DMATT said heatblur has an amazing track record… so well worth it