Eagle Dynamics draws attention to revamped P-51D

The P-51D for DCS World was the first WWII warbird to come to the series. Several years later, Eagle Dynamics has come back to the P-51D and given it an updated treatment with PBR textures and details. No re-release of a module should go without a trailer and we now have one!

Beautifully detailed Mustang

DCS World can produce some jaw dropping visuals and this new trailer by Alex “X-Stounds” Fyodorov makes full use of what DCS: WWII is now capable of doing.

The DCS: P-51D full experience

DCS: P-51D Mustang is available for a regular price of $49.99 (and was recently 50% off) on the DCS e-Store. For the full experience, you’ll also need the DCS: Normandy 1944 and DCS: WWII Asset Pack currently bundled for $59.99. A recent campaign, The Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney Campaign by Reflected Simulations gives you a strong single player experience at $9.99.

That’s a lot of money ($119.97 USD) but then you go and watch the trailer above and it makes you think… Next sale comes up this summer sometime!

1. p51dmatt says:

Just a draw dropping trailer of my favorite module!

1. p51dmatt says:

jaw*

It is absolutely jaw dropping. I’m really impressed with what they were able to do with the P-51 upgrades. Looks amazing!

2. Rico says:

This is a awesome trailer, and to be honest, that’s exactly what I was thinking. This makes me all eager for the P-51 in IL-2. Even the DCS variant would appeal to me if I didn’t have to pay so much extra to get map + assets. Of course it theoretically works without it, but where is the atmosphere?
    Maybe I will get it sometime in a sale. Nice contribution in any case and I am looking forward to the next one:)

best regards
    Rico

I may have to make a purchase at some point. If done slowly piece by piece during sales then it can be a little more affordable.

And yes, this is getting me excited about the P-51D for IL-2. It’s going to be a good time!

3. Eviscerador says:

I bought it this sale. I had a lot of fun doing stunts and free flights with the TF51 around all maps, and also playing in multiplayer servers. (one of the most prominent ones has logistics duties for the TF51, and I got myself a nice Su 25 kill with the Mustang in a cold war server)

For the price on sale it is a great module if you just want to improve the TF51 experience.

4. LD88 says:

I’ve had the P-51 for a couple of years and have enjoyed it. The campaigns available for it are great if you want a more realistic historical experience. The updates were welcome, but honestly it must be me missing something as I don’t see anything significantly different. It wasn’t as out of date as say the A-10 is graphically. I thought them introducing the “-25” variant would also bring the long overdue 150 octane & increased manifold pressure update to ETO specs. Alas that hasn’t happened; it was just a slightly different 3d model without the accompanying specs. Frustrating missed opportunity especially with competing against later war, MW50 boosted Axis planes (even if its an option, like selecting a weapon load out).

Thanks for your comments on the P-51. I don’t yet have it so its invaluable to hear from people like yourself!

The visual updates are perhaps more subtle but I do think they really stand out in some of the lighting situations in the trailer. Certainly the older P-51 model wasn’t as far behind as the A-10C or the Ka-50 – those will likely be bigger changes.

Also, that is disappointing to not have the added option for increased fuel boost. This is an issue for the Allied side in both IL-2 and in DCS. I’m hoping both developers can work to implement.