The latest on DCS: F/A-18C’s targeting pod (updated)

We’ve got a great mini-update from Eagle Dynamics Matt Wagner on the DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Litening targeting pod which fills in a few blanks on features and on why it’s taken this long to implement. It has me finally getting excited for the targeting pod and to be able to take the Hornet out for a spin with this new feature. Here’s the latest!

Updated on July 24 at 5:34 pm EDT: Added second screenshot provided by Matt Wagner.

No copy and paste job

Many of us, myself included, that the Litening targeting pod being added to the Hornet would speed introduction of a targeting pod to the Hornet considerably. It probably still has sped things along as Eagle Dynamics is nowhere near close to introducing the ATFLIR pod. That said, it looks like we’re finally on the home stretch of early introduction for this feature.

It’s clearly no copy and paste job from the A-10C, the AV-8B or anything else.

Here’s what Matt Wagner had to say:

Hey everyone,

Probably the the most anticipated new feature of the Hornet is the targeting pod. As mentioned earlier, we will start with the Litening pod due to it being used by the USMC and similar to what we already created for the A-10C (hardly a cut-and-paste though). Attached is an image of it in action.

It is important to understand that this is neither an ATFLIR or Litening pod ala A-10C. It is a Litening pod that uses standardized Hornet Mission Computer (MC) data export.

Most of the core AG functions are in the game and working, with the big ones still being worked on being the setting a Target Point via the TGP (critical for AUTO and TOO mode attacks) and, AREA vs POINT tracking . After the initial release, we will continue to flesh out the pod to include AA mode, control pages, and additional functions/symbols.

Our engineer assigned to the pod is working very, very hard on this and we are pushing to release it as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Wags

Matt Wagner on the Eagle Dynamics forums

This is the most detail we’ve had to date on both the challenges of introducing the pod as well as the types of features that will come initially as well as features that will come later on. Interesting to me is the air-to-air mode which the A-10C to the best of my knowledge doesn’t make use of.

At this point, the targeting pod on the Hornet is one of THE most requested features by the community as its essential for ease of operation with GPS and LGB weapons systems. Hopefully we’ll have it very soon!

1. David Colson says:

I think something is wrong in the first paragraph, very confusing wording

Yep. Writing too quickly and not letting the brain catch up to the fingers! 😎

2. Aaron C White says:

As a heads up, they changed the image on the post to one that’s definitely better looking. It’s a more straight on shot of the TGP view on the MFD without the shadow sitting over it.

Awesome! Great spot and I’ve updated the post with both images.

1. Aaron C White says:

I was super confused when I was looking at the Reddit post and thinking “I don’t remember it looking like this at all…I think I’ve been at work too long”.

I finally realized they swapped them out.

A2A mode? I am not aware of this being actually used on this Litening model. The Legion pod is supposed to offer a wide variety of options in this regard, but scanning for enemy aircrfat is not something I’d seen on this pod.

It’s an interesting feature to note. I guess we’ll see what they mean.

2. Eviscerador says:

A2A mode does not scan for you, you have to manually look for the targets (almost impossible) and lock them.

I only use it as a reference for A2A refuelling.

Dunno if in the Hornet will work in another way, locking targets on the radar like the TV cam in the Tomcat.

4. TexasWarbird says:

I’m glad this targeting pod is on it’s home stretch. I’ve reluctantly kept my self from learning any A2G functions on the F/A-18 until this pod was implemented. While the A2G is effective at it’s current state – I was kinda unsure how the whole role would change with the addition of this function and preferred to have my mind fresh (with the Targeting pod implemented) start learning the A2G mode in full.