IL-2 dev diary is a love letter to the Tempest V and the community

This week’s IL-2 developer diary focuses on the Hawker Tempest V (Series II) coming soon to IL-2: Battle of Bodenplatte. It’s more than a regular developer diary because its also the story of how Jason got the details on the aircraft, the trials and tribulations of doing that, and the efforts that the team went through to create what is very likely to be the most accurate and detailed rendition of a Tempest in a flight sim anywhere. Can you tell I’m excited about this update? This is a love letter to a very interesting WWII fighter, one that flies in just under the radar beneath the Mustangs, Spitfires, Bf109s and Yaks.

New screenshots and video

The new developer diary comes with new screenshots showing both the completed model and the model in development. While the completed shots are extremely impressive and add to the collection of images that we already have – its the work in progress shots that really make me appreciate the artistry and attention to detail.

I’ve only got some of those here so check out the diary for more.

And these are the completed images of the aircraft in-engine.

Oh and then there’s a 8-minute video called “Tempest Mk. V + Friends.” Watch to the end because its really awesome seeing the Tempest flying together with the Spitfire, P-47, P-51 and P-38. What a sight!

The Tempest almost didn’t happen

While Jason and team were committed to the Bodenplatte project, making the Tempest happen for the sim was a real challenge as the story that Jason tells reveals. The team was desperate for accurate and detailed information and photos and it was a challenge to get them.

From the first moment I decided we should make the Tempest, I knew building it would be a challenge. I recalled from the days of IL-2:1946 that there was a real lack of quality references to make the plane to a high degree of detail, both in its physical shape and the engine’s performance. That Tempest model is a great accomplishment as well and I remember the enthusiasm that accompanied it way back then. I knew it would be the same difficult road today for our Tempest without a real effort and help from other people. And luckily, that is exactly what happened. Thanks to total strangers and friends in the community, this mission has been a successful one. In the past, other such endeavors have failed, so I am very excited that this one did not.

Jason Williams on the IL-2 forums

Jason details the community members from the IL-2 community that helped step up with resources, materials and museum connections. Fantasy of Flight in Lakeland, Florida U.S.A., RAF Hendon, London, England, UK, and Typhoon Legacy British Columbia, Canada were all part of the research process (and Jason was keen to let everyone know to go and check these places out and support them).

Without the details, the Tempest may just not have happened. Fortunately, it did!

Other details revealed

The developer diary goes on to tell the rest of the story with the 3D modeling team using detailed references to build the interior and exterior of the Tempest and the flight model team using the gathered resources to build a Tempest Mark V (Series 2) with a Sabre IIa engine.

I know some are asking what the engine specs will be and the initial details are a bit vague.

With the info we gathered, the Mk.V sub-variant we decided to build is the Series II with the Sabre IIa engine. The initial results of FM tests are very promising for fans of British airplanes and Alex has done another outstanding job. The Tempest is indeed a deadly plane and British pilots were lucky to have her.

Jason Williams on the IL-2 forums

Fortunately an eagle eye member of the community pointed to an 11lb boost read-out in one of the gameplay sequences during the trailer. Even at 9lbs of boost the Tempest V is a force to be reckoned with but with 11lbs standard by late 1944 and into 1945 it was fitting to give the Tempest its full power and it looks like we’ll be getting that!

UPDATE: There’s now some dispute over if it really reads 9lbs or 11lbs. Gold or blue? Yanny or laurel? We’ll find out soon enough.

You may have also noticed during the play through that the Tempest V gets a pair of bombs… possibly 1000lbs though 500lbs were more typical. It has the reflector gun-sight projected onto the windscreen which cleans up the sight picture a lot.

Other small details revealed in the screenshots and video include the new Rhineland map which we can see in motion for the first time along with the new blackout system. Note the trailer at about 3:20 where a high-G pullout causes a grey and then narrowing vision before returning to normal. Outstanding work there!

A big thanks all around

The Tempest V is coming to the IL-2: Great Battles series thanks to efforts from the 1C Game Studios developer team, Jason Williams, and because of multiple members of the IL-2 community who were able to use connections and contacts to get Jason and the team the information needed to bring this historical aircraft back to life.

This is a labour of love and the whole message is a love letter both to the history of this aircraft and to the IL-2 community right now who helped make this possible. It’s a dream to be able to fly this aircraft once again in the IL-2 series at a level of detail I’ve never previously experienced. To all involved – you have my thanks! I’m truly excited to fly this aircraft in the coming weeks!

1. Novice-Flyer says:

Really like the images of the Bodenplatte map and the blackout. I think the next patch will be the release of Bodenplatte because unless there’s a typo, it’s announced that the next patch will be 3.200.
    Anyway, looking forward to flying the Tempest, I even have a Tempest in my bedroom since I was 7.

The next patch is going to be big but I’m not sure if we’re at final release stage or not. The Career missions tend to take a while. It may be closer to November before we’re considered “final” release but you may be right.

We’ll know in a few weeks.

2. Alex says:

“The Tempest almost didn’t happen”

It would have been fun if they had to admit that they couldn’t do one AFTER several months in which a Tempest was advertised as part of the Bodenplatte module and in which they were already taking money for the early access 🙂

TBH, the entire dev diary made me reconsider my policy of supporting the main releases of Il-2 as soon as they are out… Just to be sure that for unlucky circumstances a plane that is advertised can’t be made/need to be a model that is not completely the correct one for the timeframe…

Also: “Fortunately an eagle eye member of the community pointed to an 11lb boost read-out in one of the gameplay sequences during the trailer”

Fortunately someone also posted the image of a IRL boost display in the thread showing that the needle is in no way close to the +11 position but probaly on the +9 position; as it is there is not a single confirmation for a +11 boost on the Tempest

There’s always a risk that something planned for can’t be delivered. That’s been an issue since day one and it predates this series – Pacific Fighters was planned to have far more than it ended up with. We made due and it was a bit disappointing but it didn’t have that much of an effect in the end.

As for the boost, I’m not going to get bent out of shape either way. I’ll wait till the arguing settles down and we’ll see where it stands. Even at 9lbs its a beast.

1. superetendard3 says:

While still a very good performer at +9 boost, it wouldn’t hold the title of the fastest prop fighter at sea level, being slightly surpassed by the Mustang, the D-9, the normal K-4 and specially the 1.98 ata K-4. It’s high speed is one of the things that defined the Tempest, and this setting was standard in the timeframe of this expansion. The Sabre is known for it’s 2400 HP, and that power was achieved with +11 lb.

The +9 boost configuration is more appropiate of a first half of 1944 “Battle of Normandy” set up. If I could come with an analogy, it would be a similar case as if the P-51D didn’t have it’s fuselage fuel tank, or the Dora not having it’s MW 50 injection, or the late 109s without the Erla Haube. The community should request this constructively and without resorting to toxic behaviour, I bet it will come not much later ^_^

3. bigalrico says:

Was a great developer diary! Also nice to look behind the scenes and see how much effort it can take to digitally reawaken such a bird!
    For my part, I’m very excited now, no matter with which boost. But I almost believe, like some others, that there will be a modification for higher settings. Also in Sheriff’s interview at the Gamescon in Cologne, it sounded to me that they’ re not averse to the boost options.
    I found the new stress system for the pilots, the Bobp-Map and of course the planes great. And the sound of the Tempest is really impressive. If you listen carefully you can hear it very well in some places in the video 😀
    Altogether the indicators give me hope that we will actually get all 3 airplanes and the map. Only the B-25 is not sure for me.

I do wonder if the B-25 will come after. There’s speculation on if the next patch is the “final” release patch for Bodenplatte but I suspect that may be more November(ish).

1. bigalrico says:

A good question indeed. But if I remember correctly the parts that are missing for a complete release are:
        – The 3 playable planes (+ AI B-25)
        – The map with 4 seasons
        – The Career Mode
        In addition, I think I was also going to give a free, scripted campaign like Kuban’s Sea Dragons. As well as single missions. I don’t know if these last two things were also included in the final release or if they were handed in later.

All in all I wouldn’t expect it to be the final patch. After all, we haven’t heard anything about the career mode since it was officially started (although it might go faster than expected, because we’ve already been told that new missions for Bobp have been made and things like the badges of the respective squadrons).

But what we can definitely say is that it is definitely coming to an end. Even though it may sound a bit strange, I’m almost more curious what the new collector planes will be like as well as the new expansion.

Not to forget that the Flying Circus map is in the beta phase if I’m not mistaken and Tank Crew is also taking big steps with his two campaigns. Whereby there are still 4 tanks missing. So with a little luck Bobp and FC will be finished before the end of the year 😀