Are hints at future IL-2 content “hidden” in 4.001?

There are two “Easter eggs” that we have in the latest IL-2 patches that might hint at future content for the IL-2 series. I’m reading between the lines on this so everything you’re about to read is pure speculation – nothing is officially confirmed in any way. Still… this is fun!

Is that a Typhoon?

IL-2 contains a number of “static aircraft” which are slightly lower detail models parked around airbases in single and multiplayer scenarios. Until very recently, the static aircraft list had not been updated with any new aircraft since Battle of Stalingrad. Now we have a few dozen new static aircraft that can be placed around airbases and that list contains one surprise – a Typhoon!

The Hawker Typhoon was a successor to the Hurricane and predecessor to the Tempest. While it had it’s teething problems, the Typhoon evolved into a very successful fighter-bomber seeing service right up to the end of the war in large numbers.

It’s inclusion as a static aircraft is interesting. Eindhoven, where several Typhoon squadrons were based, was a major target and saw significant losses during the Bodenplatte operation so it’s inclusion could be nothing more than an attempt at making sure that there were suitable targets on that base.

On the other hand, the model is as detailed as any other static aircraft which means some care went into making this. All static aircraft are drawn from lower detailed models and have no flight model, no damage model, no cockpit, and canopy reflections. A fair bit of trouble was put into making this static aircraft.

It could be a candidate for a future Collector Plane oriented towards Battle of Bodenplatte or it may portent a future expansion that features a Typhoon Mark IB. Or… it could just be a static aircraft.

The B-25D has a purchase icon in Career mode

It has long been my hope that 1CGS would be able to find time to eventually build the B-25 Mitchell for IL-2 especially as the external model, flight model and damage model was finished as part of the IL-2: Battle of Bodenplatte development cycle. What the developers couldn’t fit into that schedule was the interior of that aircraft. New evidence, however, suggests that this may be making steps forward towards being a Collector Plane.

In Career mode, pick an RAF career, pick ‘Crossing the Rhine’, and start looking through the bases you’ll soon find several bomber squadrons based at Melsbroek. One of those squadrons is an RAF A-20B Boston squadron and five are B-25 Mitchell squadrons. The B-25D shows an icon indicating that it is not available to be flown.

Furthermore, when you click on the squadron, and scroll through the B-25’s available information you can find a Buy button at the bottom of that screen with a link that takes you out to the following URL: https://il2sturmovik.com/store/collector-planes/#b-25draf

Thanks to Jon Coughlin/Roger Meatball for the image.

Nothing is currently available on the IL-2 website but this is an interesting development nonetheless. Is this a mistake that just makes it look like they are planning to turn this into a Collector Plane? Or did this sneak it’s way into the release before they were ready to talk about it. Bombers are, after all, quite complex and that means that the development time on this could be many months away at the earliest.

Remember… rumours!

I find both of these really interesting and potentially very exciting developments for the IL-2 series but I want to temper everyone’s expectations. These could also be oversights or they could be part of content plans that are further down the road than 1CGS is intending to talk about.

Either way, it’s fun to think about these before diving back headlong into a ton of content that has just dropped in 4.001. Enjoy the present and hopefully look forward to more new and interesting content in the future.

1. Percy Danvers says:

I would so love a Typhoon. I know it was a troubled aircraft in real life and yeah… technically it had a problem of asphyxiating pilots with carbon monoxide leaks, but it would be a fun one to have. Moreover if they did do any earlier western front scenarios it would be a way to scratch the tempest itch.

The Typhoon issues were solved by mid-‘43: it’s perfectly safe to fly (though pilot notes do stress mask on at all times).

Reading far too much into it, that is a late model IIB with the 4-bladed prop but an early tail. Maybe the team merely re-used the Tempest nose?

Thanks, Shamrock, for the observations 👍

Great observations on the propeller and tail as well. This could be nothing or could be very interesting!

2. Magz says:

The B-25 has long been mentioned as an aircraft that the developers would like to make player flyable, If nothing else this seems to indicate that they are doing exactly that and already have the code in place for it.

Day one buy for me of course.

Absolutely. I had that chat with Jason a while ago too. While it seemed like it was something they wanted to do… these things are never for sure. Until they are and this certainly suggests that it may happen sooner than later!

3. Greg Flinchbaugh says:

I would love to see a mini Luft 1946/German Uber Weapons add-on. Only things that actually flew, thought flight data might not be as complete as a Spitfire, but I would like it there just because.

Do335
    Ar234
    Me163
    He162

These would be interesting

The -234 is a possibility, though I would not hold my breath. A double-pack with the Mossie would be amazing!

That would be amazing!

There’s lots of potential here.

5. Francesco Kasta says:

Nice find! You really have a good eye for detail.
    I wonder why there is No option to start a Rhineland career with the RAF A-20B though.The bomber squadrons are there but only the Spitfire Mk IX and the Tempest can be selected even though I own BoK as well. Am I missing something?

I would look at the locations of the squadron that flies the A-20. If they were off map during the initial phase then it’s probably not available then and you’d need to jump forward to a part of the campaign where they are on the map.

The 2nd TAF started with their tactical fighters on the continent before they brought over the light and medium bomber squadrons.

The Allies had an initial problem with too many squadrons vs. Insufficient space. I wonder if this continued as they went East and had to prioritise old Luftwaffe airfields for fighters over bombers.

2. Francesco Kasta says:

I get what you mean but I don’t think that’s the issue: if I pick “Crossing the Rhine” I can see the bomber squadrons based at Melsbroek, I can click on those and have the details pop up, yet I have No option to start a new career in a bomber squadron. I can only select fighters for a career.

Oh I see. I tried to create an A-20B campaign and it didn’t work.

I wonder if this is a bug with the system or if they just haven’t finished doing the programming for that section. BlackSix had said he was intent on making sure that the A-20B campaign worked – it may be coming in a future patch.

I checked the comments by BlackSix and it seems like this squadron wasn’t intended to be flown. It’s technically not the right aircraft. Perhaps on second thought it’d be nice to have it anyways… https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/36747-ai-a-20b-for-the-bobp-career/

5. Francesco Kasta says:

Thank you for the link, very efficient as always!

It is a little disappointing although it does make sense after all. I hope they’ll introduce a Boston III variant in the future or even better the A-20G.

I’m really hopeful for an A-20G/J. A new turret would be the only major modification along with the reshaped fuselage in that section and of course the solid and different glass nose sections (for the related J).

Maybe in the next title!

6. The-Doctor says:

i was so disappointed when jason announced the collector planes plan , since i was waiting patiently for the mosqutio , since the allied side need an attacker plane ,, we already have many light Fighter/Attacker planes , the typhoon is good and happy to hear that , the only remaining aircraft to balance the “battle roles” is the Mosquito

I wouldn’t count any of those aircraft out just yet. We don’t know what their future content plans are right now.

My fingers are crossed that we’ll see all of those.