Back in June at FS Expo 2019, I briefly talked with the folks at Orbx and suggested that some east coast scenery packages would probably be well received and after working their way up and down the west coast, Orbx TrueEarth US is now turning their sights on Florida. Although I’m sure my suggestion had very little to do with their product planning, what I do think is key is that Orbx is expanding their TrueEarth line to an area that seems highly desired by fans of civil aviation on the X-Plane platform.
From northern Florida to the keys
North to south, Orbx is covering essentially the entire state of Florida right down to the keys and some of the most southern points in the continental United States. Orbx has spent a lot of time making sure that Miami has plenty of detail with lots of points of interest, they have also tweaked their autogen building system to make sure that building roof colours match (something they are calling TrueColour).
Here are some of the key features as advertised:
- Over 170,304 Sq. Km (65,754 Sq. Miles) of crisp USGS and NAIP sourced imagery
- Will come in both SD and HD versions
- Stunning orthoimagery for the whole of Florida offering stunning views across the varied landscape including cities, beaches and Everglades National Park
- Beautifully crafted watermasking along the hundreds of miles of coastline
- Key cities include Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and beyond
- Exclusive ultra-HD Cityscape Miami accurately bringing this vibrant city to life
- Accurate building shapes to precisely match the ortho imagery footprints
- Nearly 1,000 custom-modelled 3D POIs; including Cape Canaveral, Orlando theme parks, major resorts and hotels, stadiums, bridges and much more!
- Millions of accurately placed trees
- Hand-placed and custom modelled landmarks placed throughout the scenery such as bridges, skyscrapers, castles, piers, and monuments
- Superb night lighting for all 3D POI models and cityscapes
It’s great to see Orbx doing some great follow-up’s to their past efforts on X-Plane 11, it’s also great to see them move to the east coast of North America, and I think this will do well for them. I’m not sure what the future is for scenery developers with what Microsoft is planning for Flight Simulator but in the meantime this is looking like a typically high quality release that we’ve come to expect from Orbx.
Look for Orbx TrueEarth US Florida to arrive sometime in January 2020.