DCS: Bf109K-4 is free to check out

Life’s been a bit hectic here (things are ok though) so I’m behind again but I wanted to remind folks that the DCS: Bf109K-4 is free today and tomorrow and its another DCS World WWII module worth checking out. I’ve put together some screenshots, some tutorials to check out, and I encourage you to check this out while we’re all stuck inside.

Meet the Kurfurst

The Bf109K-4 or ‘Kurfurst’ is the last of the major production Bf109 series featuring the highest performance of the series and having one of the highest performance levels of any piston engine aircraft. It’s certainly and impressive aircraft.

While I have a few misgivings about having this aircraft instead of something more Normandy appropriate, it’s also worth judging the aircraft on just it’s own merits and Eagle Dynamics has certainly put lots of attention to detail into this aircraft. Have a look at the interior and exterior in these screenshots.

Tutorials

Here are just a smattering of tutorials that you should check out if you want to learn some details on how to fly this aircraft.

If you’ve read any of these so far you’ll also know that I always recommend Chuck’s Guides and his guide for this aircraft is no different. Check out Chuck’s Guide for the Bf109K-4.

1. Warlock says:

Been waiting for this one. It’s a blast to fly. I also like to hit ground targets which is particularly challenging with this plane (the sight is on the right side and the plane is really yawing all the time, making it difficult to line up a good shot). Sounds are REALLY satisfying. I definitely liked it more than the Spitfire and the FW-190A. Welp, and here I thought that after the Mustang and I-16 I won’t buy another WWII plane… Nothing is hard to takeoff or land after the I-16 though 🙂

1. Voyager says:

You need to see it in VR. The German sights line right up with your right eye. It’s really mindblowing.

1. Warlock says:

German engineering right there… Thanks, really cool to know that. There’s still the strong yaw, though, which cannot be fixed with trimming. You practically need to know by heart a certain roll angle which your plane needs to uphold in order to not stray when you aim straight at a ground target. I literally found this harder to do than with the Polikarpov.

2. CanadaOne says:

I really like this plane. Great sense of immersion and of flight. Like it much, much more than the Spitfire demo and almost as much as my P-51.I liked the Fw-190 demo, but I like this one more. It’s funny, before the demo I would have never considered buying this plane, it would have been last on my list. But now it’s maybe first. Bummer the Steam sale is over.

Now… where’s my carrier!

It is surprisingly good, isn’t it? I had only a few minutes with it but it’s a consistently good experience and I had none of the frame rate issues that I experienced with the Fw190A-8. Odd!

3. Percy Danvers says:

The 109 is my go-to warbird for DCS. It’s an exceptionally good energy fighter, but unlike 190, energy fighting isn’t your *only* option. You have plenty of maneuverability, and you can even tangle with spitfires if you keep the fight in the vertical.