1CGS shows off Su-152, new pilot models, new features

It’s been a busy week for 1CGS with some hotfixes coming for patch 4.005c (and 4.005d expected soon) as well as new features moving forward at the same time. This weeks developer diary focuses on some new content in the form of the Su-122 self propelled artillery tank for Tan Crew as well as the addition of new pilot models and new features to support them. Let’s have a look!

New swappable pilot models

One request circulating in the forums recently is the ability to swap pilot models for some lend lease aircraft. RAF and USAAF crew members in the Spitfire Vb and P-40E? Soviet pilots in the Spitfire IX and P-47? 1CGS was ahead of that request as they are already in the midst of doing that. This will be particularly useful if the Spitfire Vb starts making more appearances in the Normandy campaign as just one example.

Going a step further, 1CGS is also making sure that their new upgraded Soviet (and German) pilot models are period accurate. A detail I appreciate immensely. In the work in progress images you can see a Soviet pilot in 1942 and again in 1943.

According to 1CGS, there will be three different models for Soviet pilots:

1. Early war – before April 1st, 1942,
  2. Mid-war – between April 1st, 1942 and March 1st, 1943,
  3. Late war

Additionally, the WWII pilots are getting a WWI feature… period correct sidearms. Again, it’s a little detail that doesn’t make or break a simulation but it adds depth and it’s a cool moment kind of feature. I assume this will mean they will be able to get out their sidearm and make use of them just as WWI pilots can already do. Tactically useful? Not that much, but I admit to firing a sidearm after being downed in a few WWI scenarios… it has a certain level of satisfaction even if its ultimately futile.

The Su-152 big guns

Digital Forms work on their Su-152 model appears nearly complete as 1CGS works to implement the self propelled artillery tank into Tank Crew.

In addition to implementing the tank, a couple of new features are coming to Tank Crew.

First, the crew will now be able to sustain carbon monoxide poisoning if the main gun is fired while the ventilation system is shut off/damage. It’s unclear how long it will take but nonetheless its another way that a critical hit can appear non critical until the point where the tank becomes ineffective.

A new command function will allow a tank commander to direct his group to fire self propelled guns at a specific direction and range allowing the player to bombard a specific target area.

Finally, large calibre shells will no longer have a tracer associated with them and instead will have a physical model associated instead.

All of these are of course updates that help refine Tank Crew further and are welcome changes.

For all of this and more, visit the 1CGS Developer Diary.

1. CanadaOne says:

Not to be a schmoo, but wasn’t it the SU-152 they showed?

Am I in trouble now?

LOL no, you’re absolutely right. It’s a Su-152… it’s been a long week. But we made it through Friday!

1. CanadaOne says:

The honour is to serve.

2. Mischiew Rithe says:

Is that any fun, Tank Crew? I’m wondering how they manage the crew in SP, does the AI take over the other role, or do you have to switch from driver to gunner and so on?

I wish there was a demo, it’s such a different concept. I need to do a methodical scientific study on this, let’s open Youtube 😀

I do promise to bring a little more Tank Crew content to the blog when I have some time to properly focus on it.

There is a new context menu which lets you issue orders within the tank as well as to your platoon of tanks (if you’re in command) although I largely find myself doing, or maybe wanting to do, most of the actions. The spotting to the gunnery.

I think it’s fun and the tanks are done at a detail level I have not personally seen before. Basically IL-2 aircraft level on the ground. I’m less of a tank person than an aircraft person so I am getting over that part 🙂

1. Mischiew Rithe says:

Thanks! I see what you mean by aircraft person 😉

I think I’d enjoy the novelty for a while, and seeing the ground from a closer perspective, but I’m afraid I’d quickly lose interest. Poor wallet anyway, I’ll keep what’s left for Normandy 😀

Still, worth keeping an eye on, then.

3. CanadaOne says:

Tank Crew is good, sometimes very good, but, as stupid as this sounds, you really have to like tanks. The love affair I have with planes does not extend to tanks and I don’t play with TC nearly as much as I fly.That said, it is very well done. The graphics are really nice and the “Kaboom!” factor is high.

On sale it’s definitely worth it. Full price, well, it’s up to you how much you like tanks.