War Gaming Guru interviews IL-2’s Jason Williams and Daniel Tuseev (updated)

It’s always good to see the IL-2 developers talking with the community including on the forums, in some of the interviews that we’ve done here on Stormbirds, and of course on other channels and it is the War Gaming Guru and Rod White who has the latest Q&A with the IL-2 team. Link ahead and a few notes from the interview that you might find interesting.

A good primer on the series

The approach taken by Rod White and the War Gaming Guru YouTube channel is a bit more of a primer on the IL-2 series, it’s history stretching back to 2001, and how both Daniel and Jason have connected to that history over time. It’s a very good interview! For some of you, a lot of this information you already knew but for many of the newer people that we always want to welcome to this community, this might be new and interesting!

The rest of their conversation continues on touching on a little bit of the development process on aircraft for the series (did you know it takes a year from start to finish on an IL-2 aircraft?) and what else might be coming to IL-2 in the future. As usual, Jason and Daniel can’t say too much, but they did have a lot to talk about in terms of their current work. Once again, Jason reiterates that they are hopefully not done with Flying Circus and their WWI content which is always a reassuring thing for me – I’m still hoping for a Vol 2 for Flying Circus.

So, without further delay, go and check out this latest interview and give War Gaming Guru a look!

Update: Part two available

Part two of the same interview series is now available. The second part talks flight models, Tank Crew, and some more general questions too. Have a look!

1. Fear says:

You should look up this Rod guy’s history – he is extremely toxic towards the flight sim community at large.

I’m afraid I don’t know his history. Has there been some sort of incident? He does tend to just leave videos around which I suggested he engage more with the community.

2. Fear says:

Just to be clear, I’m not saying you should remove his video from Stormbirds. I love what you do on this site and would never tell you how to run it. However, Rod White has attacked the simulation community and certain critics (fair or unfair) on multiple occasions. He did it in a very juvenile way that should be below someone in his age bracket (50+). The video he posted below making claims about the “toxic simulation community” at large, his spamming of low effort video content and his knee jerk immature / uncontrolled reactions to criticism with regards to said content is what put him in the spotlight:

Thanks for the context Fear. I do appreciate the details… I didn’t know much about the channel or what was going on there before.

From my point of view here I do my best to report on news related items around the community and so if a producer like Jason goes on a YouTube channel I’m going to do my best to cover it. Let everyone determine for themselves what they want to make of it.

As much as I want to cheer on fellow content creators, it is also good for all of us to try and integrate within the communities. I can see dumping links not necessarily being looked on so great. You want to be part of the conversation or maybe starting the conversation.

For my part, I always try and contribute on r/hoggit, r/il2sturmovik, various Facebook groups, etc. with stuff that isn’t just links to my own site but as an active contributor. I can try and model that which I think is good behavior and that’s about it.

2. Skycat says:

Listening to part two, I’m reminded of the P-47 flight model controversy from Forgotten Battles through IL-2 1946. “Russian data says it wasn’t a very good aircraft. Our model is correct. And we have no time to fix the cockpit graphics.” Bias seemed to get in the way of reevaluating the Thunderbolt. The Bodenplatte version is better but I’ve wondered how much influence the Old Guard have had on the new series.

It wasn’t a particular good moment I think when Oleg came into the old Ubisoft forums and said that the P-47 “was not a fighter.” That didn’t sit well with me.

It may very well have but I also think that the P-47’s reputation as a fighter is also misunderstood and that plus its inherent complexity makes it a difficult aircraft to simulate. This all may be the subject of an article that I write as it looks like July might be Thunderbolt month for me.

I am very glad that the 1CGS team has taken some time to add and adjust their current P-47. I have high hopes!

2. Fear says:

I completely agree and thanks again for what you do.

Thanks for the comments and stop by any time!

3. Drum says:

Very interesting, looking forward to more from the 1CGS team. Thanks for the great interview!