Desert Wings – Tobruk pre-order begins, and message from Jason

Team Fusion Simulations Desert Wings – Tobruk is nearing the final stretches before release. Pre-order sales have just begun and the sim can now be purchased through the official IL-2 Sturmovik website or very soon on Steam. IL-2 Producer Jason Williams also has posted a message appealing to fans of the series to give the Desert Wings – Tobruk title a closer look.

On pre-order now

Starting today, pre-orders have started for Desert Wings – Tobruk. It has appeared on the official IL-2 store (which will send you a Steam key to be redeemed on their storefront). Although soon to be sold at a regular price of $69.99, the pre-release discount price brings it down to $54.49.

To recap the content, Desert Wings – Tobruk brings with it, 40 new flyable types and variants, a 385 km x 385 km North African map, new tanks, ships, more than 75 airfields, plus plenty of landmarks, historical fortifications, towns roads and minefields.

At the moment, the pre-order sale is not available on Steam and policy may dictate that it go on sale on the day of release.

A message from Jason Williams

IL-2 Lead Producer, Jason Williams, has done everything possible to help support the IL-2 Sturmovik franchise including bringing the Team Fusion Simulations team from unofficial modding group to an officially recognized developer that is now on their way to releasing a retail product. Of course countless hours have been put in by the Team Fusion group over the years both before the deal that was done and then after as they announced the Blitz Edition of Cliffs of Dover and then the follow up Desert Wings – Tobruk title that is releasing now.

As stories go in our corner of the entertainment world goes, the story of Cliffs of Dover and it’s resurrection and then expansion is quite the tale. In Jason’s message today, he threw some support behind the Team Fusion Simulations team and the work they’ve done. Here’s part of what he had to say,

I urge everyone who loves simming and owns Great Battles to support Tobruk and Team Fusion and give them the opportunity to continue to make more new products in the future. They have made some very cool airplanes and produced the first true North African / Mediterranean combat flight-sim and I think that deserves some attention and your love. They have taken a derelict product and revived it like very few have ever done in game/sim development history. Kudos to Team Fusion for that miracle and to 1C for giving them that chance.

Jason Williams on the IL-2 forums

As a small (although now seemingly growing) niche genre, it’s nice to see both the interconnectedness between teams and the full support that Jason is showing here. I know many have argued that IL-2: Great Battles should carry the banner, alone, into the future. There’s some logic to that, however, I think in some ways this may help benefit both sims and titles in the future. Who knows, maybe in some fourth generation of the IL-2 series we see efforts come together with learned lessons on the road being traveled right now applied to future benefit.

Read the full message on the official IL-2 forums to get the rest of Jason’s statement.

1. AARON says:

I just tried downloading Cliffs of Dover Blitz, which I note is the base game for Desert Wings. I just could not get Blitz to detect my Logitech Attack 3 joystick. so i am very worried about purchasing Desert Wings. My joystick is fully functional.

i understand that Great Battles doesnt throw such weird joystick issues at the user.

That is weird Aaron. Have you checked on any of the forums about a compatibility issue? I’ll have a look around myself.

I know the control setup isn’t quite as intuitive as other sims.

1. Aaron says:

yes i did. i spent so much time following the instructions but nothing came out of it. sadly i am now back to 1946 to tide me over till my TrackIR arrives and the next 75% discount happens again for Great Battles on Steam.

what a pity because the graphics for Blitz was such an upgrade over 1946 (as it should be).

i am now getting back into combat flight sims after a long hiatus. news about MS’s Flight Simulator and the upcoming Star Wars Squadrons got me excited.

Glad to have you back! Great Battles shouldn’t give you any trouble and is a superb series these days with lots of content.

Look for an August sale. I’m sure we’ll see something.

2. LD88 says:

Hi Aaron, Just a sanity check on the controls setup; aside from the key binds there is a separate tab you have to select to bind axis. Hope this may help? Good luck. https://youtu.be/dfthoegyk8E?t=531

2. Doctor Drago says:

Y’know, I said I wasn’t going to do it. But I did it. The Call of the Wimpy was too strong, and I am but a man…

3. Novice-Flyer says:

Thanks Shamrock. I’m just glad that TFS has gotten a proper payday for all of their hard work these past years.
    Speaking of a 4th Generation IL-2, I wonder if it will be a collaboration of both the Digital Warfare engine and CloD engine? But we’re many years, perhaps a decade from that.

BTW, Will you be doing a review on Blitz and Desert Wings-Tobruk?

4. BlueHeron says:

Nice, with all the noise today about certain other games, it’s great that these guys are getting some attention. My credit card is about to become severely traumatized. 😉

5. Eggnog says:

If only VR

6. 71st_AH_Gamecock (XR-G) says:

I am thoroughly looking forward to 5.0. It has been a long time coming, but it looks really nice.

It’s almost here and I think fans are going to love it!

7. Pattle says:

Thanks for your great comments guys 🙂 Aaron, Happy to try and get you sorted if possible. Sure I can.

1. Aaron Lai says:

Hi all, thanks so much for all offers of help! Nice community here! 💪🏼🌟