ATFLIR pod coming to DCS: F/A-18C

When it was clear that the AFLIR wouldn’t be ready for a while, Eagle Dynamics poured a lot of effort into the Litening II pod for DCS: F/A-18C. That’s given the Hornet a powerful system for coordinating pinpoint strikes on ground targets and conducting visual identification of air targets. Now the Hornet’s other pod, the one that the U.S. Navy typically uses, is coming to the jet as well and we have a new video detailing it’s operation.

ATFLIR basics

The ATFLIR has been described as being roughly similar to the Litening II pod when it comes to capabilities. So, the addition of the ATFLIR is more of an effort to complete the Hornet and provide an accurate configuration for the jet. From a realism point of view, the F/A-18C is fitted with the Litening II pod with the USMC, Spain, Canada and other operators. The US Navy, however, have the ATFLIR and this is how it works as described by Matt Wagner.

The new pod is coming with the next major update for DCS World. It’s an update that looks to be packing in a lot of content and is also meant to mark the point where DCS: F/A-18C Hornet goes from early access to released status – though Eagle Dynamics still intend to add a few more features. More as it develops!

1. Urgent Siesta says:

Given the complexity of these birds, it’s getting to the point where it (almost) doesn’t make sense to fly any jet other than Hornet 😉

I remember when the Hornet came out in late 2017 there was a lot of scoffing at it not being complete. It’s taken a long time to get there but then projects of this complexity really do take years to complete. Now that the Hornet is nearly there, it’s easily one of the best works that ED has ever done and the sheer flexibility and range of capabilities makes this one incredible aircraft.

I try to love the Hornet, I really do, but I just cannot really commit. Which is a shame because it is so more manageable than the Viper.

BTW – open question: can you assign HOTAS controls to autopilot functions so I can hit a button and have att.hold?

I love them both but the Hornet is “my” aircraft for sure. What are you struggling with on the Hornet?

I guess you could if you bound a control on the HOTAS to press the UFC AP button and then another for the button that’s used to press BALT in that mode?

Struggling with flying it; I always seem to run out of energy in BFM and it does not accelerate when unloaded as does the Viper. The latter goes from 200 – 500 kts is a few seconds with a AB and a little bunt.

I looked through the controls and am probably being thick but could not find the Viper autopilot button to bind. Not a show-stopper, but would be really handy.

Ohhh you were talking about the Viper’s autopilot button. I don’t remember what the keybind is there… it’s somewhere down on the left if I remember right.

The Hornet has incredible nose pointing capabilities which I think lulled me into a false sense of security in combat where I’d overdo the turn and burn my speed every time. I now fly it more conservatively and that ensures that I don’t run out of speed all that often.