The latest update for IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings – Tobruk is out with a whole bunch of new changes and updates to the sim including a long list of mission improvements that single player pilots are going to want to know about. Here’s the change log and some key details!
Patch 5.020 updates Desert Wings – Tobruk
One of the key features in IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings – Tobruk has been its dedication to providing a lot of single player content. The title shipped with nearly a half dozen campaigns, each several missions long, to help cover the North African theatre of war as well as provide ample opportunity to try the different aircraft in the sim.
Team Fusion Simulations is building on that content with patch 5.020 which has a very long list of improvements to current missions while also adding in a few new ones. There are also some general changes and a couple of skin updates thrown into the mix.
Here are the patch notes which can also be viewed here.
General Changes / Updates
- Corrected He-111H AI rudder response
- Corrected Beaufighter Oil Tank capacity
- Corrected Beaufighter TARE + removable load weights for IF, IC, Late and Trop models [Raf74_Buzzsaw]
- Preliminary localizations (work in progress!!!) of the “Getting Started and Trouble Shooting Guide”
- Tobruk Map, ground structure details
Mission Changes / Updates
- Rising from the Ashes: revised scenery in missions 3-8
- A Busy Morning: removed stray barrage balloon from Boulogne-Sur-Mer, revised scenery, altered Bf-110 waypoints, altered briefings to match, and added Italian and Russian translations
- Aftershocks: revised scenery and flak, changed 6./ZG 76 to 4./ZG 76 for historical accuracy, and updated slides and briefings to match
- Attack of the Eagles: removed the Stuka attack on Manston flights to improve performance. These flights have been incorporated into the new mission Attack of the Kiwi. Moved No. 610 SQN to Hawkinge to depict that unit’s use of it as a forward airfield, moved 7./KG 51’s, 8./KG 51’s, and 5./JG 52’s starting positions closer to Lympne, removed stray barrage balloon from Boulogne-Sur-Mer, and changed slides and briefings to match
- Attack of the Kiwi: added mission
- August Attrition: changed the time to 1330, moved the Spitfire VS Bf-109 fight inland, moved No. 610 SQN to Hawkinge and revised the scenery there, changed 2./KG 2’s target to Lympne and reduced the flight to 3 aircraft to better reflect similar Luftwaffe raids, changed No. 303 SQN’s interception course, changed 7./JG 27 to 7./JG 51 in order to use the new Walter Oesau skin, removed stray barrage balloon from Boulogne-Sur-Mer, and changed slides and briefings to match and provide more historical context
- Battle Goes On: revised scenery and flak, moved 9./JG 26 to Abbeville for historical accuracy, changed waypoints so that the Bf-109 VS Hurricane dogfight still occurs, and changed slide to match
- Christmas Convoy: revised scenery, set Martlets on an intercept course to the Ju-88s, updated briefing and slides to match
- Corpo Aereo Italiano and Corpo Aereo Italiano II: removed stray barrage balloon from Boulogne-Sur-Mer, revised scenery and flak, and removed superfluous Bf-109 flight
- Kanalkampf: removed stray barrage balloon from Boulogne-Sur-Mer and revised scenery and flak
- No Respite and Southampton Blitz: revised scenery and flak
- Royal Rodeo: revised Stab./JG 26 markings, revised scenery. Bf-109 E-4 and E-4 late: added a new skin depicting 1432, which was flown by German ace Walter Oesau.
- Bf-109 E-4 (all fighter variants): added a new nightfighter skin depicting aircraft such as G9-JV
- Spitfire Mk.I (all variants): added eight new skins depicting New Zealand ace Al Deere’s Kiwi, Kiwi II, and Kiwi III, English ace Bob Doe’s X4036, pilot Richard Hardy’s Dirty Dick, Australian ace Paterson Hughes’ X4009, as well as generic No. 234 SQN aircraft