1CGS shows off Typhoon, Ju88C-6, teaser for next week

The Typhoon Mark IB for IL-2: Battle of Normandy is now in beta and looking ready to go as 1CGS drops a ton of screenshots on us prior to the release of this aircraft. We also get our first look at the Ju88C-6 and a bit more of a teaser for next week. Let’s have a look!

Typhoon rockets into action

Showing off the various liveries of the Typhoon while putting it into action, Jason Williams has dropped a new update for fans of the IL-2 series showing off the Typhoon Mark IB in action. The news is that the aircraft is now firmly into the beta testing process which, typically, has taken 1CGS a few weeks to sort out any bug testing before a patch comes out and that puts us into the middle part of June.

Meanwhile, we’re treated to plenty of screenshots. On display are the Typhoon’s cockpit, the RP-3 rocket loadout which has been confirmed to have AP and HE options available, plus 250lb and 500lb bombs. That together with the type’s standard four 20mm Hispano Mark II cannons and relatively high top speed at low altitudes should allow this to become a new fan favourite fighter-bomber.

Alongside the Spitfire XIV, I’ve been waiting ages for a Typhoon to show up in a modern combat flight simulator. And now it’s just around the corner! I can’t wait.

First look at the Ju88C-6

We now have our first look at the 3D model of the Ju88C-6. This modification of the Ju88 series resulted in two variants – a day attacker and maritime patrol aircraft and a night-fighter variant. We’re getting the day attacker version and it should share some similarities in role and function with types like the A-20B. The developer diary asks if it will be as effect in the role as the A-20 is and I really do hope so because I’ve definitely had an interest in flying this aircraft.

Some have suggested that it will get eaten alive in multiplayer and while that’s possible, the same threat is present for the A-20 and I’ve had terrific fun and success with the type as well. A lighter, faster, more gunship oriented Ju88 sounds fun! Expect it to arrive late this year or early next.

The Todt Battery

Located along the coast between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Calais, the Todt battery famously continued it’s barrage on Allied invasion forces until it was captured on September 29 by the North Nova Scotia Highlanders, part of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division.

The weapon was part of the Atlantic Wall of fortifications and will no doubt be one of many available bunkers and fortifications that will need softening up during the first part of the Allied career.

The latest on the tease

Finally, the developer diary ends with a piece about an announcement coming next week.

In other important news – next week, we plan to make an announcement about some additional content we plan to add to the Great Battles series, we hope you will be happy. Stay tuned!

I’d like to focus on the part that says ‘some additional content’ as I think that is key. Past teases of this scale resulted in new content being made available for pre-order such as the two AAA collector vehicles. It’s possible that this will result in a similar type of pre-order availability along with new content being announced.

Stay tuned!

1. Firdimigdi says:

Cccording to the secret message that you mentioned in another post here it’s about “Dakota and more” – so everyone, logically, assumes it’s at least related to 1CGS starting to work on pilotable C47s.

2. Firdimigdi says:

According to the secret message that you mentioned in another post here it’s about “Dakota and more” – so everyone, logically, assumes it’s at least related to 1CGS starting to work on pilotable C47s.

Interesting indeed! I’ve seen a few theories come up including that one. It does seem likely!

1. Firdimigdi says:

Ah crap, just noticed I double posted in my attempt to correct a typo – sorry!

Well the message was actually fully disclosed by Jason since we all flapped our hands uselessly for the largest part of the “decoding” process. 🙂

3. Pseudotsuga says:

Eaten up in multiplayer or not I still think the Ju-88C-6 will be fun, and there’ll of course be an “ace in a flight” Scharfi video proving someone can score with it (I hope). The comparison to the A-20 is apt.

Major hype for the Tiffy, we didn’t even have one in the old Il-2 if I recall right. A first for the series!

I wish that that they would release the map first and then the aircraft. We have so many fantastic opportunities to fly over Normandy with the current set but…

They can’t release what doesn’t quite exist yet. Maps tend to come last in the project. It’s been true of nearly all of them except for Kuban.

Oh yes, I understand why – just really looking forward to the map 😀

And the Mossie!

5. Mickey says:

I’m still Pulling to go to the Pacific….

I know we’ll get there. It may take a while yet but we’ll get there!

6. Doctor Drago says:

Got to love a solid-nose Ju-88, looking forward to employing it alongside the 110s for a bit of DIY night-fighting!

I think it’s going to be really fun to fly in those roles!

7. Urgent Siesta says:

Typhoon is undoubtedly one of the best airframes for “monster mouth” paint jobs 🙂

Oh yes! I hope to see a bunch of them!

8. Dutchvdm says:

I’m looking forward to the announcement next week. Although i would not be against a flyable dakota, i would really like an special axis collector again. We did have one for several years now. The last one was the normal G6. Something like a Hs-123 or Fw-189. But this is just wishfull thinking.

Grt M