PMDG’s 737 for MSFS enters beta

The wait has been long for 737 fans but Microsoft Flight Simulator looks to be getting its first 737 airliner soon as news comes that PMDG have moved into beta testing for their 737. Let’s have a look.

Problems solved?

It looks like several key problems have been solved for PMDG as they have announced their 737 is now entering the beta testing stage. The report by PMDG’s Robert Randazzo details the work that’s been put into the aircraft. That includes tweaks of the 3D model and textures inside and out as well as a long list of systems verification including testing the functionality of loading a flight plan from an outside source with SimBrief name dropped. They have also implemented a collimated HUD with what appears to be full functionality and the ability for it to display a runway outline in low visibility conditions. Neat!

The 737 project is coming later than previous statements suggested. A couple of months ago, we heard contradictory public statements from PMDG and then later from Asobo. First from PMDG in a status update suggesting that a core feature may have to be removed unless Asobo responded to their issue. Asobo later reporting in their January Q&A that they were in a private Discord server answering questions with PMDG nearly every day and that the problem was a misunderstanding rather than a lack of a feature or support. These problems seem to have been surmounted now but there was some drama here for period of time and that seems to have slowed down the roll out.

The PMDG 737 seems to be back track and a closed group of beta testers are currently testing its systems. If PMDG replicates their DC-6 roll out, I expect we’ll see some training videos for the jet coming soon as well as various content creators that specialize in airliners putting it through it’s paces in live streams before a full release sometime after that.

Two new screenshots were released which show the aircraft off both inside and out in a beautiful light.

Check out the full update right here.

1. Jer Stryker says:

I’m so excited for this. I flew the wings off of the original PMDG 737NG for FS9 back when I was a flight instructor. Now I fly the real thing, but I’m looking forward to coming full circle and enjoying PMDG’s amazing work once again.

That’s amazing that you got your start with a flight sim product like that and have now moved over to the real thing. Do you fly 737’s or another type?

1. Jer Stryker says:

737s right now but I’ll be switching to the Airbus A330 in a few months. Looking forward to it but I expect to miss the 73! I’m a first officer right now but when I upgrade to captain I hope to see it again.

2. Jeroen says:

This is the only plane for FS that I’m looking forward to. I also hit the TOGA buttons on an -800 with regularity. Sadly it’s gonna be a brand new plane again. Apparently ASOBO wants factory new planes only. Nothing like the lived in F-14 from Heatblur. (Which will be my all time fav plane to take up in the virtual skies)

It should be a big seller on the platform from what I’ve heard.

IMHO, I haven’t heard of any sort of stipulation from Asobo or Microsoft on the look of aircraft and we have seen some grimier aircraft such as with Just Flight’s Piper Arrow. So this would appear to be a decision by the authors artists.

1. Jeroen says:

Actually on the Forum of PMDG you can find the following post:

Here rsrandazzo ( I guess the “Wags” of PMDG) replies with:
        #93.1
        rsrandazzo commented
        27Jan2022, 19:49
        Linden- This is a strange observation, but the contract for developers to put products into MSFS actually calls for the cockpit to be in a clean, unused, undamaged condition. As a guy who appreciates a clean flight deck, I don’t mind- but it struck me as a terribly odd thing to require. – RSR

It’s interesting to note that the post immediately after notes that the Aerosoft Twin Otter isn’t all that clean in its texturing. No answer to that.

Mr Randazzo has said some interesting things in the past. I’m not sure what to think.

3. Urgent Siesta says:

In re the “misunderstanding” between PMDG and Asobo: it would seem that if it were really that simple, another high end airliner dev would’ve come from behind and beat PMDG to launch day.

So, no, the story (as usual) is more “interesting” than either party is letting on…

It was definitely a weird one and no I don’t think we have the full story. It didn’t look terribly good to have it aired out in public either but … there it is.

I think PMDG does have an advantage as they’ve launched this product on their platforms. Other devs have focused on lower hanging fruit to start (such as Aerosoft) or are coming into their own for the first time such as Fenix with their A320. I haven’t reported on it for a while but iniSim are looking to bring their A310 to MSFS as well.

Big year for airliners in MSFS.

4. Gasman says:

Very excited indeed, although I might wait for the -800 variant. Anyone want to place a bet on the release month for this beauty? I’m going to go with June.

Haha I think we may see it before June but I get where your head (and many others) are at right now. We’ve seen lots of delays for some big projects recently. We’ll see how it goes!