Microsoft Flight Simulator Sim Update 8 is out

Asobo and Microsoft have taken the wraps off of Sim Update 8 which came out earlier today. The approximately 4 GB sim update and 500 mb update in the Xbox app brings with it a range of fixes and new features.

Marketplace, propeller sim update, more

Version 1.23.12.0 aka Sim Update 8 is now out for Microsoft Flight Simulator. There’s a significant list of features included in the update not least of which is the new propeller simulation system which has been added to the Cessna 152, Cessna 208 and King Air 350i. There’s also a new marketplace interface which includes a map display that will show off available airports and offers increased discoverability for new content.

The patch also appears aimed at stability fixes. Several crashes have been fixed and ongoing optimization are also on display in the new update. There are fixes to the live weather system, VR bugs have been squashed, and a huge list of miscellaneous fixes ranging from aircraft model details to avionics have also been dealt with.

In short, this seems to be an update focused less on new flashy features and is instead aimed at the core of the product. A lot of sim pilots have called for developers to work on their core product and this appears to be what Asobo has done with this latest update.

Read the full patch notes here!

1. I hope this will fix the random crashes. It’s super annoying and happens almost every session.

I hear you. I’ve faced those quite a bit myself. Initial impressions are good!

2. KZ says:

Not optimistic. MSFS crashed right after the update.

Ahh that sucks. So far this seems to be looking up for me… but MSFS is a tricky sim with stability. The usual array of checks such as running without addons sometimes helps and sometimes doesn’t.

What’s the cause of the crash according to the Windows Event log?

3. KZ says:

After updating the main part of MSFS I ran the update in the content manager – it took a few minutes so I went away. As I got back MSFS was freezed. The operating system was working. There is no trace in the windows log.
    As for add-ons I know they always advise to turn them off but I can’t imagine MSFS without Aerosoft CRJ700 and without aviaServer.
    Fortunately, after the restart the short flight from Wrocław to Poznań was successful.

Well that’s good news at least. It’s still a painful update process, isn’t it?

4. KZ says:

I got used to it, I have no choice. It’s worth it because, once you wade through, the reward is a great impression during the flight. In terms of graphics, I think it is second to none. It looks great, especially in VR.

That it does!