Which IL-2 should I buy?

If you want to jump into flight simulators and you think you want to fly around in a vintage World War II aircraft then the IL-2 series the the defacto standard – but there are a lot of different versions which can make things confusing.

So which one should you buy? Let me break it down.

The IL-2 series comes in three parts

It’s important to understand that there are three different pieces of the IL-2 series. Some of them are inter-related and others are entirely separate experiences with the entire series stretching back to a 2001 release that goes all the way to the present with a new product due at the end of 2017.

Let’s look at each of the entries.

IL-2 Sturmovik through IL-2: 1946

The original IL-2 Sturmovik was released in 2001 and updated frequently over the course of several years. IL-2 Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack, Pacific Fighters and a few other releases ultimately culminated in the release of IL-2: 1946.

If you want to get into the original IL-2 flight sim then you only need to buy IL-2: 1946 – its a compilation of everything that came before and with mod packs and semi-official updates still forthcoming you can have access to most of World War II and hundreds of different aircraft.

It’s relatively inexpensive at around $10-12 USD.

Available:

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

team-fusion-spitv109

The original Maddox Games team did their best to produce a next generation sequel to the original IL-2 series. The series turned the clock back to 1940 and took to the skies over England and France during the Battle of Britain. The goal was to bring an all new game engine and create the ultimate World War II flight sim experience. There were some problems, however, that marred the series release.

The initial release came too soon with the product unfinished. It had severe performance problems and bugs. In subsequent years an unofficial group of modders called Team Fusion worked diligently to update the product making it not only playable but enjoyable. Team Fusion has become semi-official now with an official partnership with 1C Games.

New efforts are now expanding the series towards a North Africa expansion and the future looks to be much better than just a few years ago. The price is quite low here too.

Available:

The next generation: IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Moscow and beyond

IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad represents a new start to the IL-2 series with a new development studio at the helm. The series had a rough start but has grown over the course of its four year history and is now the leading edge of the IL-2 series.

The new IL-2 series is more of a flight sim platform where players buy access to content and automatically have access to the latest version of updates. Big updates affecting all owners have included 64-bit support and a switch to DirectX11 (from DX9) both which improved performance dramatically and opened the door to VR support.

There are two main products available now, with one expansion in development:

• IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad came first in the series with a campaign centered around the late summer, fall and winter campaigns of the Battle of Stalingrad. Originally released with just a winter map, a later free addition added summer and fall campaigns for free – so if you buy today you get all 3-seasons of the campaign right away.
  • IL-2: Battle of Moscow was the first addition to the series. The campaign is based on the late 1941 and early 1942 Battle of Moscow period and a new map, aircraft, and campaign were released encompassing this time period.
  • IL-2: Battle of Kuban is set to release in late 2017 and represents the third release in the series. The Battle of Kuban is set during the climatic Black Sea battles of spring, summer and fall of 1943.

Each of the new IL-2 series releases comes with 8 standard aircraft each (4 each for Axis and Allies) and 2 Collector Planes available in the Premium releases or available as individual purchases. To make things a little more confusing, you can also buy two additional Collector Planes which are not part of any specific product. These are the Yak-1B Series 127 and the Ju52 /3m.

Like I said earlier, you buy access to content so you always have the latest version of the game no matter what. The series is effectively one release with new content being added in as different packages. You can jump in and buy Battle of Moscow or Battle of Stalingrad and you have access to the latest version – minus access to content you don’t own.

Multiplayer is compatible across all content releases so if you are on a server that switches from a Stalingrad to Moscow map you can keep playing – so long as the server owner has made aircraft you own available.

Available:

• Direct from 1CGS
  • Steam Store (note: you have to buy Battle of Stalingrad here first, Battle of Moscow and Kuban are or will be available as “DLC”)

So which one should I buy?

bos_standard_t09Vmy2.jpgLet me jump straight to it: IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad Standard Edition is the best place to start these days.

Some reasons to go with Battle of Stalingrad:

• Though available at a higher cost than other options, IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad Standard Edition is currently available for $49.99 and frequently has sale prices that bring it down to around $29 which is reasonably affordable. Sale prices offer deeper discounts on Battle of Stalingrad as well so this edges it out slightly over Battle of Moscow.
  • Battle of Stalingrad is a good middle point in terms of aircraft and owners will be able to participate and be competitive in the widest array of multiplayer opportunities with their late 1942 aircraft set.
  • Development on this series is ongoing with 1CGS actively releasing game updates and improvements about once a month. Some of the updates are geared towards future releases but they improve the core game as well.
  • IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad has significantly higher fidelity than earlier versions of the series possessing one of the best flight modeling and damage modeling systems in the business and very good graphics with VR support forthcoming.

If pricing is less of an issue and you don’t care too much about multiplayer then Battle of Moscow is also an excellent place to get into the series but if you’re looking for the overall experience with the lowest potential price – Battle of Stalingrad is a great starter to jump in and from there expand to Moscow, Kuban or future installments.

The next entry after Battle of Kuban has also already been announced and it will be taking the series to the Pacific with the Battle of Midway so American and Japanese naval aircraft fans will have something to look forward to. Carrier ops using VR headsets at the Battle of Midway is a kind of flight simmers nirvana and that is coming soon.

If you have an old PC or gobs of time then I’d say also jump in on IL-2: 1946 and/or Cliffs of Dover as well. They aren’t the leading edge of things to come but they aren’t dead either with slow development on-going for both.

1. Andy says:

Why do you recommend IL2 Battle of Stalingrad standard edition rather than IL2 Battle of Moscow standard edition?

The second point of my justification surrounding the aircraft set is the biggest reason why I say Battle of Stalingrad over Battle of Moscow. If you get BoS then you have aircraft that fit partly into the Battle of Moscow time period and partly into the Battle of Kuban time period. It’s a good middle ground to start from. That matters more for multiplayer I suppose… Something to consider.

I didn’t write it but BoS also gets deeper discounts during the sales that happen periodically.

If multiplayer is irrelevant to your experience than Moscow is probably just as good a place to start.

2. YeesterEgg says:

I have just recently gotten back into Flight Simulator games after a long hiatus. I reinstalled IL-2 1942 and have been enjoying it however its age has begun to show. I only stumbled across this website and it has convinced me that despite the high price, IL-2 BoS is definitely worth the purchase, so thank you for taking the time to write this. It had all the information that I wanted to know.

On a slightly unrelated note, I was hoping you could help me out with some additional information. I own a right-handed joystick, with the throttle controls located on the base of the joystick. While the joystick itself is fine, I find tracking targets and looking around the cockpits difficult as I have to use my mouse in my left hand. This means that controlling the throttle and other functions (like looking down the nose of the plane) can’t happen while I look around. So my question is, do you personally use any head tracking software or devices? and if so would you say they are important and recommended?

Thanks

Glad to hear that this was helpful. New players have been jumping in on the forums recently and some were bewildered with the options and not sure which product was what – so I thought I’d try and help the situation a bit at least.

IL-2: BoS is great. It took a while to develop but the continued work on the series continues to up the ante with each patch. A lot of updates are content focused but there are always a ton of core functionality that is being worked on too. Start with BoS and then if you really like it then Moscow and Kuban are always possibilities.

I don’t use any head tracking hardware/software yet. Some day I might but to date I’ve been doing pretty well with my setup. I recently purchased a VKB Gladiator stick to replace my dying X-52. I use the hat switch on the top left to look around and I use the hat plus the shift button located on the base of the handle to change the hat from look to smooth zoom (much less jarring than the snap zoom in IL-2: 1946). I’ve also taken recently to using the W and S keys (kind of FPS like) to smooth zoom in and out and the A and D keys to lean left/right. Its easier to rest my fingers there. I’m sure head tracking is the best solution but this setup works for me.

Hope that helps a bit! If you run into trouble you can always send me a message or join up on the official forums – most folks are very helpful!

3. Eric L Goodwin says:

I have played Il2 original version when it came out.The only issue I had was the you could shoot a whole magazine of 20mm at an aircraft at point blank range and,the plane would keep flying,even with pieces falling off,and eventually aftert you ran out of ammo,the darn plane would fly blissfully on.
    Ive seen that grafics and flight charactetistics have been improved.
    Has the battle damage improved also?

Hi Eric,

Absolutely they have. I remember those days with some aircraft that would burst into flames immediately and others that would take hits and keep on going. Some of those were improved over the years but the original IL-2 was always very inconsistent.

The new series has an entirely different game engine. I find the damage model to be much more sophisticated and nuanced. You can bet there are still complaints about it but most comments these days are very positive. The coolest feature here is when wings are damaged but haven’t separated yet… you can see them start to warp and wobble before coming apart. There are also ammo box and fuel tank explosions as well as systems that fail over time.

It’s a bit overzealous on the engine limits which is also a common complaint. But otherwise the damage model is far better than the original.