Eagle Dynamics announces DCS: Yak-52

A few weeks ago an update on Eagle Dynamics music creator’s Soundcloud page revealed a new DCS module and today Eagle Dynamics has confirmed DCS: Yak-52. This aircraft is a training oriented module with an emphasis on low speeds and tight aerobatics.

Two seat, slow speed, tight aerobatics

The Yak-52 is an aerobatic rated trainer capable of pulling 7G and pushing 5G. Aerobatic groups in the DCS world will have a lot of fun with this product performing tight maneuvers and flying in close formations.

The Yak-52 started life in 1979 as a tandem trainer for new pilots and was produced for the Soviet Union. It remains a popular choice for its rugged and simple construction and operation.

Here are some of the key features:

• Professional Flight Model that duplicates the flight characteristics of the Yak-52
  • Complete systems modeling of the Yak-52 that includes the engine, fuel, electrical and pneumatic systems
  • Realistic, mouse-interactive cockpit in which almost all controls can be interacted with
  • Accurate sounds of the Yak-52 like the engine and pneumatic system
  • Multiple liveries as both a military trainer and civilian aerobatic aircraft
  • Cooperative multiplayer. Fly with a friend in the same aircraft

It’s a relatively simple module compared to something like the F/A-18C or A-10C but that simplicity might be a strength for users looking to start simple and learn more complex modules or for aerobatic teams focused in precise flying.

It’s not for everyone…

A professional product

Criticism was quick in the DCS community panning the creation of yet another training module (we already have the L-39, C-101 and the Hawk – sort of). But this is an unfair criticism.

It’s important to note right away that DCS: Yak-52 is actually a professional development that Eagle Dynamics created for a paying customer for the purposes of flight training. We’re getting the benefit of that development work. Eagle Dynamics has civilian and military contracts that they get paid to develop using their technology. Much of that filters down to the consumer level and we all benefit from their ongoing professional developments.

I have no issues with Eagle Dynamics making a little extra cash off of a professional module turned consumer. Nobody is forced to buy it and Eagle Dynamics was going to create this contracted work regardless.

Autumn in the Caucasus

Today’s announcement also slipped in two screenshots that feature the DCS World 2.5 Caucasus map. This time we get to see what the map looks like in the autumn. It’s beautifully done!

The appearance of the autumn scenery means that we’ve seen three of four scenery sets for the Caucasus with the summer and, more recently, winter maps making an appearance. This bodes well for the completion of the map and the release of DCS World 2.5.

Read up on the Yak-52 announcement right here!

1. PIxel Dust says:

The F-5 module is yet another trainer aircraft which evolved into a light attack aircraft, so it really should be included as the Hawk also qualifies as a trainer.

Now DCSW offers five trainer aircraft, and about seven modern combat aircraft, It is clear that DCSW is trending away from aircraft that require effort to produce and, more importantly, significant effort to support.

At least when I spend ~$60 with 1C/777, I get about 8 planes and a full map to play in.

You spends your money, and you takes your chances.

DCS has kind of backed itself into a corner by making their fidelity so high that it’s impossible to do most modern combat aircraft. A few more FC3 level types would probably be appreciated.

I’m also liking 1CGS more complete and accessible approach with a complete scenario for $60-70.

2. PIxel Dust says:

Truth be known, I doubt ED will EVER produce another aircraft module: the F-18 is obviously subcontracted to the execrable Belsimtek. ED has moved to the “milk the franchise” mode now.

1. Veillantif says:

What’s the problem? Let Eagle Dynamics create new maps and better effects while other companies create new planes. There are plenty of new planes coming (Harrier, Mig 19, Phantom, F14, F18…)

I can’t say I agree Pixel. I have a few issues with how they are handling things right now but by and large they are doing what the community has been asking for – more modules, more 3rd party support, and more maps. They are charging a high price and there are arguments over value to be sure but I wouldn’t see this as milking the franchise (for that see EA and Battlefront 2 :)).

I’ve got no idea what ED will produce as their next module after the F/A-18 but I know it will come. From a Q&A with Wags I think it will probably not be an Eastern bloc aircraft but we don’t know for sure.

1. PIxel Dust says:

I’m glad that those who like DCSW are satisfied; that’s a plus.

The F/A-18 is not an ED product; it is clearly subcontracted to Belsimtek, who is doing most of the heavy lifting for ED these days.

FC3 and the venerable-but-still-buggy SU-25T give me plenty to do there, even if I never spend another penny.

3. 79vRAF says:

I’m interested to know what the Professional Training Package that they’re talking about is. I’d really like to see them develop a system where someone can fly in the student seat without owning the module. I think it would be great to be able to put together a flying school and properly train new pilots; for those that are interested.

DCS is my personal favourite sim. I now Fly BoX more, but that’s purely for the squad play online. If I was flying on my own then I would prefer to go into DCS and learn how to use some new systems and have something more in depth. BoX is growing on me more and more but I don’t think it will ever replace DCS for me.

A system of pregression from the Yak-52 to the L-39/Hawk (when fixed) would be a really good set of stepping stones to then picking up the Harrier or other more complex modules (rather than FC3 aircraft).

I just think that this kind of system could be a great way of getting people into DCS and improving the level of piloting skill within the multiplayer community.

I’m assuming that a company paid them to make a professional version of the Yak-52 so that they could train on it before flying the real thing. DCS is very good as a training platform with its flight model and systems modeling.

I think DCS and IL-2 are offering some different things. There are advantages to both systems and I think they hold separate appeals beyond just the WWII versus modern thing (though that line blurs with DCS WWII). Thanks for being pragmatic and finding good things to do with both!

2. PIxel Dust says:

Steel Beasts Pro is a spin-off of a commercial-grade tank simulator made to train several of the world’s armored forces, so this is a very real process.