HTC reveals VIVE Pro at CES 2018

CES (Consumer Electronics Show) 2018 is now underway and major product announcements are underway across the electronics industry. HTC, makers of the VIVE VR headset announced a major update to the VIVE in the form of the VIVE Pro today.

Higher resolution

One of the biggest issue that IL-2 and DCS VR players have reported in various public forums is the poor resolution of VR headsets causing what is popularly known as the “screen door” effect.

This effect is caused by your eyes being so close to the displays used in the headsets that they can see the spaces in between the pixels. The solution is more pixels and higher pixel density to remove the gaps. And that is the stand-out update for the HTC VIVE Pro.

Dual AMOLED 3.5″ displays with a 90 Hz refresh rate are at the heart of the updates to this headset. They have the same 110 degree field of view but the resolution bump is very good. 1440 x 1600 pixels per eye (2880 x 1600 pixels combined) is an upgrade from the VIVE’s 1080 x 1200 pixels per eye.

HTC VIVE Pro 6845.jpg
The VIVE Pro sets itself apart with this navy blue styling and dual

Untethered if you want

The other new feature is the VIVE Wireless Adapter (using Intel’s WiGig low latency networking) which makes using the set a lot easier if you’re playing the kind of VR games where moving around is important.

The adapter is a separate expense should you want one but for flight simmers I can’t see it being a must have. Unless you play other VR games that is.

Flight sim support?

I’m fully expecting that this updated HTC VIVE will continue to be fully supported by IL-2’s VR support and I know some people have been trying DCS with VR as well. IL-2 in particular has Steam VR support and VIVE Pro appears to be continuing with support for that standard too.

The higher resolution will certainly be welcomed by many making the screen door effect go away or at least by minimizing it. It will also hopefully make spotting aircraft an easier proposition and require less use of the zoom feature and/or icons on mode to play.

Coverage

Some good videos summarizing the new features have of course cropped up from the usual sources such as from The Verge.

And from Engaget too.

Check em out or visit HTC’s VIVE Pro product page.

I don’t have any personal VR experience so I’d love to hear from all of you. What do you think of this announcement? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

1. PIxel Dust says:

RoF with high resolution VR; what is not to like?? Unbelievable!

2. Joshua says:

I wonder what the cost of the VIVE Pro will be. Aside from the “screen door effect”, that has been what has held me back from getting one.

For sure. We don’t have cost or system requirements just yet.

3. KastaRules says:

I am super excited about this but I don’t think that even the best PC nowadays could run any sim at that resolution @ 90fps. It is gonna be puke inducing ’till we get considerably better GFX cards and CPUs…

You might be right. System requirements will be an issue.

Hopefully the next gen GPUs (I think that’s the biggest issue here) are able to up the performance ante.

4. PIxel Dust says:

I know there is talk of framerate issues causing disorientation with VR, but when I run IL-2 at max visuals in VR, I get around 45 fps and a very smooth, comfortable experience.

Granted, the 75% increase in pixel density is large, but supersampling can be reduced to a lower setting (I run mine at 2.5 now) and likely still look good. That might keep fps in the same range.

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see. I’m going to start saving for my Pascal Titan now, though.

5. w_ar says:

I agree with Pixel Dust. With i7-8700K/1080Ti it is currently possible to run IL-2 at very high setting and up to 3x supersampling at 90 FPS, _if_ you switch off the HUD (it’s about 45-50 FPS otherwise, still comfortable)._and_ allow for reprojection.

So with the pixel count increased by about 78% on the Vive Pro, I expect that 90 FPS will likewise be reached with a supersampling of 1.75, since the same number of pixels would have to be rendered in that case.

Great comments (from everyone!). Seems pretty plausible then that something like the VIVE Pro would work with the caveat that you do need a beefy system and in particular a beefy GPU to make this happen.

The 1080Ti isn’t cheap… But then neither is the VIVE Pro likely to be.

6. Lars Ring says:

Ich fliege DCS World mit der Oculus Rift bei 1.9 Supersampling und 45-90 fps. Und warte lieber auf die pimax 8k! wo der Unterschied größer ausfallen wird als jetzt mit der Vive Pro.