Heatblur’s mini February update

We haven’t heard much from Heatblur on the their DCS: F-14 Tomcat module for a bit but they are back and talking about the Tomcat and some of the features they are working on. It’s almost time to kick the tires and light the fires!

It’s the ‘Bombcat’

One of the biggest pieces of news is that the F-14 is the inclusion of the LANTIRN pod giving F-14s the ability to drop precision guided munitions. At the moment, Heatblur hasn’t been too specific on what it will be able to carry but later modifications allowed for GPS based guidance and enabling JDAM, JSOW and WCMD to be used.

Heatblur is also pretty clear that they want their F-14 module to be packed with a lot of value with Heatblur developer Cobra847 saying on the Eagle Dynamics forums the following:

Somewhat contrary to it’s initial role in the fleet, the F-14 is actually a very potent ground attack airplane, and flying strike packages in a coop scenario is incredibly fun. The Tomcat has plenty of range, and can carry a large payload, while remaining combat effective. No doubt, it will be one of the most capable aircraft in DCS on launch. We’ve always been committed to ensuring that our products are packed with value – and the LANTIRN being a part of the DCS F-14 is a move in the right direction for that to be the case.

Still a ‘Chromecat’

BzIExOK

Heatblur has been busy making sure that the F-14 flies like the real thing and has gone so far as to contact and work with some former F-14 pilots to get it right.

Meanwhile there are a lot of different things going on:

• their art team is rebuilding and polishing most of the F-14’s texture assets (I sure hope we can see those soon)
  • working on some custom multiplayer code
  • Jester AI for the RIO position (the back seat in the F-14)
  • two campaigns (one for the F-14A and B each)
  • the US Navy assets like an aircraft carrier with animated crew
  • making sure that the back seat works well in multiplayer

Heatblur may have been fairly quiet recently but that doesn’t mean that a lot of things aren’t happening. With the F-14 being eventually added to DCS World it will mean that we’ll have two very capable US Navy fighters available which should hopefully mean some added fun for all.

Read the post and the reaction on the ED forum right here!

1. PIxel Dust says:

The social justice warriors are strong within Heatblur Simulations.

I’m keeping Stormbirds as a-political as I possible can. Let’s not do these conversations on here, ok?

This is all about flight sims.

1. PIxel Dust says:

While I respect your stance, because it’s your blog after all, I must point out that war is about as political as mankind gets.

That is what these simulations emulate.

Fair enough but I’m still not having these conversations here. At all. Clear?

2. PIxel Dust says:

Censorship is a dangerous stick to swing; do what you will with it.

Just know that you have always been, heretofore, about reality and accuracy in the simulation products you extol. If you mean to make an exception to that for a social distinction, then you tread a slippery slope. You cannot have it both ways.

Clear?

And this is exactly why I don’t have these conversations on here….

So, let me further clarify and I will not post again about it. I will talk aviation, aviation history, battles in history, flight sims and combat flight sims. People try and post other politicized stuff from all angles and I filter all of it because its not what we’re talking about here. You can accuse me of censorship if you wish but I consider it off topic.

I have readers from 90+ countries all across the planet. I’m not getting into these debates with any of them because its not going to end well.

I like generally your comments and I appreciate your thoughts about different DCS modules, IL-2 expansions and the like. I’m only saying anything at all about this because you’re a regular poster and I hope you continue to contribute.

If you feel like you need to talk about other topics aside from the direct subject matter at hand, there are other venues out there.

3. schurem says:

good call shamrock. behind you a 100% on this.

4. WxTracker says:

I feel the need……. the need for speed *Top Gun intro commences* *And Freedom intensifies*

I listened to the entire Top Gun soundtrack again just because of Heatblur’s recent updates on the Tomcat. Now I really need to rewatch Topgun again (for the millionth time :)).

1. WxTracker says:

Hahhahah

5. Francesco Kasta says:

All that stuff in a single module? That’s gonna be a first!

Heatblur’s marketing on their modules continues to revolve around the concept of ‘value’ so they are trying to pack a lot of stuff in. In the F-14’s case they are, in a way, up against Eagle Dynamics’ F/A-18 module and what will very likely be a separate high fidelity Nimitz module. It does help them differentiate.

Hope they can pull it off!

1. Francesco Kasta says:

I see. I wasn’t really interested in the F-14 but they got me at “value,” now I think I’ll support them just because I appreciate the effort to give us all those treats (as long as the price remains reasonable).

There might be NO need to purchase ED’s Nimitz extra module for the F/A-18 after all.