What’s coming to the IL-2 series before the end of 2018?

With just over two months left in 2018 I thought it might be good to summarize what we are looking forward to in the IL-2 series before the end of the year including new content for Bodenplatte and Flying Circus and what is coming after that. Let’s look at the official information and read between the lines to figure out what’s coming soon!

New content is coming

July 2018 was the last time that we were introduced to new aircraft for IL-2: Great Battles. Patch 3.005 introduced the FW190A-8, Fokker Dr. I and SPAD 13 to the series and helped kick off the start of Flying Circus content development (as well as Tank Crew).

1CGS has been busy building new aircraft since that last major patch. In the process, they have even added on to a recently released type. I am talking of patch 3.006, of course, which added further modifications to the FW190A-8 enabling not only modifications necessary for the F-8 but also the G-8 making this one Bodenplatte aircraft into three.

But what is coming next? Well we’ve got a fair bit of content so let’s break it down.

P-47D-28 ‘Thunderbolt’

Jug_2_Dorothy

American aircraft fans are surely pining for the day that the P-47 returns to the IL-2 series and the good news is that the wait is nearly over. The P-47 is widely expected to arrive in the next patch and that patch is likely just around the corner.

A statement back a few weeks ago mentioned that the P-47 is due in the next patch:

New Bodenplatte aircraft, Bf 109 K-4 and P-47D-28, will be released to Early Access later this Autumn.

Soon we’ll be tearing through the skies with this beast of a fighter which is certainly an exciting prospect – especially for fans of American fighters.

Bf109K-4 ‘Kurfurst’

Bf109K_2

The IL-2 series inevitably models quite a few different versions of the prolific German fighter that fought from the start to the end of the war. But that doesn’t mean that this K-4 isn’t a little bit special because it is the last of the line of serial production Bf109s. This is the ultimate Bf109 and it comes with its own unique combination of performance, firepower, and refinements.

As mentioned above, the Bf109K-4 is expected to launch alongside the P-47D-28 this autumn and it could come any day now.

Po-2/U-2 ‘The Night Witch’

Po2VS_2

The Po-2VS or U-2 (as it was called during the war) is a go anywhere do anything kind of utility aircraft that was used for things like artillery spotting, battlefield recon, night bombing and troop harassment, and it was famously flown by the “Night Witches.” More officially, these were the women of 588th Night Bomber Regiment also known as the 46th “Taman” Guards Night Bomber Aviation Regiment who flew many night time missions attacking enemy positions.

The Po-2 is coming along and the latest news is good according to a dev diary update:

This cool little bi-plane is finally nearing the final stage. Matter of fact, we had a real pilot who has experience flying an actual U-2 test our FM. He really liked it and gave us some small pointers that we will incorporate into the FM.

If all goes well, the U-2 will release alongside the P-47D-28 and Bf109K-4 in the forthcoming update.

FW190D-9 ‘Dora’

190_8.jpg.00174ddd78993bafaf9689a6b1f4a07e

One of the last of the Focke Wulf models to see frontline service. The FW190D-9 left a powerful impression on the pilots fighting them despite the late hour of the war and the desperate nature of Luftwaffe fighter ops at the time.

This fast and powerful aircraft is currently being finished by 1CGS and the exterior model looks done and ready to go. It may or may not make the autumn patch. Its also still possible that it will arrive before the end of the year.

Sopwith’s infamous Camel

FC_Camel_4

This iconic scout was tricky to fly but made a reputation for itself and to both its pilots and its enemies as being an overall excellent fighter. The Camel should make its way into Flying Circus Vol 1 and the IL-2: Great Battles Series sometime before the end of the year.

The Pfalz D.IIIa

Pfalz_1

Making the transition from Rise of Flight to Flying Circus is the Pfalz D.IIIa scout that was used by the Luftwaffe from 1917 to 1918 in the later stages of World War I. The Pfalz was not quite as popular as the Albatross being harder to fly and thus being less popular with its pilots. Modifications made to the ‘a’ variant helped rectify some of the biggest issues.

Pfalz D.IIIa and Sopwith Camel, will follow before the end of the year, provided we don’t run into unexpected problems.

Plenty of new content to finish out the year

Assuming everything goes the way it sounds like it will be going, IL-2: Great Battles will see the release of six new aircraft spanning 1917 through 1945 featuring a mix of western and eastern front aircraft from two major wars of the 20th century. It’s a great time to be a fan of the series and we’ll have plenty of momentum going into 2019 – which will be the subject of an eventual post I’m sure.

What are you looking forward to? These aircraft or something else? Let me know down in the comments!

1. Nil says:

I looking forward for the U2. More importantly , it will be not just a new aircraft, but it will be new gameplay! artillery spoting ,medivac and VIP pickup I hope. Looks promising.

Definitely hoping for some interesting gameplay opportunities with the Po-2/U-2. Should be an interesting aircraft.

2. Novice-Flyer says:

When the U-2 became flyable in patch 4.13.3 for IL-2 1946, I was very happy, not only because it was made flyable after all these years, but also because of all the features, such as carrying droppable cargo via parachutes, paratroopers, flares for night raids, etc. The DT got the engine sound bang on for that patch. It’s slightly a shame that the U-2 wasn’t added to BoX sooner, but this plane was used from before WW2 to 1945, so it’s definitely not too late for the U-2. I’m very excited for the next plane: the Li-2, Soviet variant of the DC-3. With the Li-2 it will very likely come with C-47/L2D variants so that it can be used on the Western Front and Pacific.

1. Nil says:

You said it all! that is exactly for what I wish!

2. nunocinacio says:

I’m most excited about the P-47 and D-9. The Po-2 also piques my curiosity. I wonder how well its gameplay will be integrated into the series. Will it be able to survive online ? Will it be able to do anything productive ? (I have not been reading anything about it lately so it may just be my ignorance in the matter)

1. Nil says:

The Ju52 is surviving online so for the U2, it will be more easy to survive as it is slow and small. It will most likely be an artillery spotter, and it will have machine gun for doing light ground attack. See this link for informations https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/37804-polikarpov-u2-%E2%9D%A4%EF%B8%8Fkukuruznik-fan-club-%F0%9F%91%A8%F0%9F%8F%BD%E2%80%8D%E2%9C%88%EF%B8%8F%F0%9F%91%A9%F0%9F%8F%BB%E2%80%8D%E2%9C%88%EF%B8%8F%F0%9F%91%A8%F0%9F%8F%BB%E2%80%8D%E2%9C%88%EF%B8%8F/

Although definitely more of a niche, I suspect that the Po-2 will be a lot of fun for people who want to fly something different. The route to target and the tactics employed when attacked will definitely matter.

It does have a gunner, it does have optional machine guns as Nil points out, and it’ll be able to either bomb targets itself or fly in service of a local artillery battery. Should be interesting.

2. Nil says:

Thank you Shamerock! I forgot bombs of course! I suspect it will also appeal to WW1 planes lover who do not like to fly WW2 planes. But it is just my opinion.

Tempest…..

I can’t wait. I suspect we may be waiting for a bit longer and it may be one of the last to arrive – Jason is still working hard on getting cockpit information. He says they will do it either way but they are trying to get access to a cockpit at a museum somewhere.

4. Jakub Vaněk says:

Me262, Dora and K4, P47 after that everything for Flying circus and Tank crew.
    Thanks for this article, waiting is killing me.

The anticipation for this new content is certainly high!

2. TJR says:

I am with Jakub, everything looming on the horizon from the crew is pretty exciting. Most exciting for me would be an allied career (I know far in the future!)

5. Mischiew Rithe says:

Those are all interesting and welcome planes, for sure! Perhaps I’d like to see how the P-47D behaves, because it looks more like a brick with a huge motor than an agile airplane, yet it had quite a success 🙂
    But I’m mostly curious about the P-38L, and … eager to see the map itself! However I suspect they won’t be available quite so soon.

1. TJR says:

Mischiew, I think what you meant to say when you said “brick with a huge motor” was “Muscle Car of the Sky”. I understand the confusion in nomenclature.
      😉

1. Mischiew Rithe says:

TJR, that’s probably what I meant. I’m European, you’ll have to excuse my poor knowledge in the matter 😉

6. Zoomy says:

I interested in them all. Thought the P-47, P-38, and Me-262 are probably the aircraft I’m most excited about. The U2 will probably not get flown much, but, I’ll have to get it anyway (it’s still planned as a collector aircraft, right?). I’m also a fan of the FW-190, so any version of that is all right with me. ‘Course, if they can add my great uncle’s plane (B-25) as flyable…

I reckon Tempest will be joint-last (perhaps fittingly) with the 262. Frankly I am really looking forward to all of the releases, though would love to see maybe an early map before year end?

Great article once again!

Thanks Blue! I don’t think we’ll see the map before the new year but I’m happy to be surprised. It’s the largest map they’ve done and there’s a lot of detail for them to build in.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if we see it by February or Mach. We’ll see!

Early release winter map arriving last week of December so a Bodenplatte mission can be flown early morning 1st Jan…

I bet a £1 🙂