IL-2 patch 3.007 releases with four new aircraft, fixes, features

There are over 100 changes listed by the developers of IL-2 on patch version 3.007 and while some are small there are also some big new additions to the series – starting with four new aircraft! Let’s break down this patch and get to some of the key details!

Four aircraft from two world wars

The Sopwith Camel and Pfalz D.III are the two new additions to the series and to Flying Circus Vol 1 bringing their basic 3D models over from Rise of Flight plus some enhancements all around. For fans of World War II aircraft and IL-2: Battle of Bodenplatte we have the P-47D-28, a long awaited re-entry to the IL-2 series, and the Bf109K-4. All four of these aircraft represent some interesting additions to the line-up and over the coming days and weeks I’ll be getting into the details of just what each of these aircraft really are all about.

In the meantime, enjoy a few screenshots that I’ve captured during my earliest play through with the new content.

New Career mode mission types

We’ve been waiting a while to see some new Career mode mission types and three new ones have finally arrived. The first two are specific to the Ju 52/3m with Cargo Paradrop and “Special squad” Paradrop mission types being added to the available pool for the Junkers tri-motor. The previous single mission type was limiting for the aircraft and this helps open things up considerably.

I’m also really excited by the new mission type called “Free Hunt” which is available for fighter aircraft. The concept of a free hunt is one that was initially employed by Axis forces and particularly by the Luftwaffe and was later adopted by the Allies. This aggressive scouting mission was aimed at tackling targets of opportunity and I’m curious to see how the developers have built this mission type in.

There will be more to write about these later as well!

The Ju 52 has new missions available in career mode giving it more to do.

New damage model for vehicles

For a while now I’ve been excited by the idea that building a tank sim inside of a flight sim will eventually give back to the flight sim part of the product. It was going to happen eventually and, well, it has!

A new more sophisticated damage model for AI controlled vehicles on the ground has been implemented in 3.007 and it enables you to be able to damage their engines, wheels, tracks, crew and/or ammo rack. This feature also affects ground attacking aircraft and allows for a more subtle approach to damage to these vehicles. It also vaults IL-2 well ahead of the competition offering the best damage model for vehicles in any flight combat sim that I’m aware of.

Multiplayer, AI and performance improvements

1CGS was not just busy building aircraft but also adding in performance improvements across multiple different areas. These improvements include VR performance which has apparently been improved and several players are reporting that their overall performance is now improved from what it was before.

Multiple tweaks have been made to the multiplayer code fixing everything from disappearing sounds to better predictive algorithms for smoother aircraft flight. The traffic generated by a multiplayer session is also apparently improved which should help with server performance. Multiplayer and server issues have long plagued the series (although IL-2 is far from alone in this regard) and any movement forward is appreciated by this sim pilot. I’m looking forward to checking that out too.

Finally, the AI has also been tweaked and it seems like a lot of effort has been put into preventing the AI from crashing into the ground. It’s something that they have been doing less of recently but there were still issues and this seems like a great change.

Compressability enters the flight model

As WWII aircraft improved in performance they began to approach the sound barrier, particularly in high speed dives, and many of these aircraft experienced near-Mach effects that dramatically affected their flying performance.

Some types like the P-38 were chronically affected with performance and control issues (sometimes proving fatal) at high speeds. Compressability effects began to take hold at speeds around 500mph and up and they made some control surfaces useless, caused huge amounts of drag, and other negative control issues.

This and other near Mach effects are crucial for getting an aircraft like the Me262 right, however, its far from the only one affected as the aforementioned P-38 is also a key candidate. Truly, any aircraft diving at high speeds will be affected and so this change has far reaching consequences across the aircraft line-up.

And more!

These are just the highlights but there are more fixes covered in the 100+ list of changes. Check out the patch notes for Patch 3.007 to see the whole list.

I have not yet had a chance to test this – I presume they have added some form of Mach tuck?

Lovely aircraft, but the K-4 has rather upset things by having access to a setting that it really should not, while all current (and possibly future) Allied types are limited to Autumn ’44 setting. Bit of a shame. Why sim designers insist on this approach has always puzzled me.

I haven’t tested yet either but I would assume one of the bigger effects they were trying to accomplish is the Mach tuck.

I assume most servers will restrict access to the rare engine option. We’re also only looking at a partially completed Bodenplatte. The team may intend to add additional engine settings retroactively to other aircraft as time, resources, and possibly research allow. I can foresee the Spitfire IXe getting its +25lb mod before the end of development for example. I wouldn’t judge too much yet on the final finished plans here.

2. William T Taylor says:

i believe that the roll rate is off for the P-47 as quite of few German aces were impressed by the P47s roll rate and im sorry the P-47 did not roll slower than the Bf110 also its acceleration is abysmal you can barely get it to speed it doesn’t want to cross 250 mph easily another completely in excusable issue.. and don’t even get me started on the optional paints… this aircraft is seriously under preforming … and as according to many pilot accounts from both P-47 and P-51 pilots the 47 was comparable at low alts to the P-51. if the P-51 was release with anywhere close to the performance the 47 is showing the Community would be in an uproar this flight model needs re-addressed immediately

As with all flight model discussions involving aircraft, it’s difficult for me to comment as I’m not particularly skilled in aerodynamics (it’s far from my area of expertise).

I will say two things:

1) Aircraft’s reputations tend to not always match with reality. This will be the third flight sim that attempted to do a realistic P-47 and its performance had not quite matched up as expected. One of the longest threads on the old Ubisoft forums for IL-2: Forgotten Battles was the P-47s roll rate. Oleg’s team relented and changed the roll rate… But it’s interesting to me that we have the same issue now from an entirely different team.

2) Data will be the best way for the community to have any movement on the P-47s roll rate or any other issues. In-game tests and real world data need to be matched up to show inconsistencies. That’s how the FW190s angle of attack information was corrected – new data.

Hey William,

Your comment made me go searching for data to suggest that the P-47s roll may be a bit slow. It’s a tough slog through the information and I’ve found some interesting reference points.

It seems that some pilots considered the P-47s roll rate to be excellent but official reports seem to present a more colorful picture.

In this report dated July 26, 1944 (http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mustang/Performance_Data_on_Fighter_Aircraft.pdf) the roll rate as given is 63 degrees a second (or roughly a 6 second to complete a complete roll which matches my quick test in IL-2).

In a December 1942 tactical trials report it suggested the P-47s roll rate to be faster than other contemporary American fighters (http://www.spitfireperformance.com/p-47/p-47c-tactical-trials.html).

There’s also this chart (https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/naca868-rollchart-jpg.396434/) with a P-47C topping out around 80 degrees a second and going down from there.

Again, lacking a full understanding of the aeronautical engineering challenges that affect roll rate, I can only make a semi-educated guess that what we’ve got is probably pretty accurate for the specific sub-type that we have. The bubble canopy late D models apparently rolled more slowly than the earlier versions (perhaps where the reputation was built). Possibly not a function of the canopy but rather of other modifications to the type…

One more thought I had. Eagle Dynamics decided to pay for an expensive high end simulation to be done for their P-47 project. I will find it very fascinating to see what their conclusions from that are (especially if they choose to model a similar sub type) when they release their P-47 model.

(Sorry for the long reply.. I wanted to give us both something to think about)

3. TJR says:

All I can say is (As a neophyte to “Modern” Sims), I am having a blast flying the 47, it seems to have tons of power at all altitudes, and managing all of the parts of that giant radial is a lot of fun all on its own. I don’t know what the roll rate should be for this beast, and it sure does bleed power in a turn, but it sure “feels” like I am flying a 8 ton plane with 2600HP.

WRT to the .50Cals: I have gotten way more crew kills than any other plane, by accident as I am not that skilled. it seems the Ma deuce is functioning as intended, and I have knocked out Stugs with them as well. My hopes for the team modelling the destructive power of 8x50s have been entirely met, no doubt in conjunction with the damage model.

As an aside, Thanks Shamrock for providing a third party location for us to discuss our shared hobby.

1. TJR says:

I forgot, also the addition of imperial units to all the stats! a surprise, but a welcome one.

4. Jorge L Morales-Capella says:

The P-40 is pretty good so far! I defiantly need a service guide for this bird. And the K-4 is completely amazing, this thing is on a world of it’s own.

5. Novice-Flyer says:

I hope that they will release the U-2 and Fw 190D-9 before Christmas😃

For all you P-47 lovers note than you can link boost, RPM and turbo so you need but a single handle like the 109s and 190s (and as should be the Spit IX) . You probably lose a little bit at the margins on this, but it makes for far greater ‘care-free’ handling

That’s a good tip! There’s definitely some engine management to get used to in the P-47 that we’re not use to in some of the simpler fighter designs.

All part of the Thunderbolt’s charm in the end!

7. boxcarleader says:

oh guys i guess my edit didn’t go through completely or something but with my roll rate comment if you read the German aces speak series they all think it has a fantastic roll rate and they flew 190s and 109s !!!! take a good look and lets be honest a plane with a 6 second aileron roll would not be able to kill anything in WW2 6 seconds is a longer aileron roll than the BF110!!!

Hey boxcar,

I didn’t see you post about this previously. I’ll double check the filter to make sure it didn’t get flagged accidentally by the automatic system that WordPress uses. My apologies if I did.

Unfortunately pilot anecdotes aren’t that useful in suggesting a flight model fix. I kept digging up information looking to see if it was wrongly modeled but the best I’ve seen is a suggestion that some early D models may have rolled more quickly (at 80 degrees a second resulting in a 4.5 seconds for a complete roll) but have also read that later models rolled more slowly. The N model supposedly even more slowly than that.

It’s hard to reconcile the pilot reports (which are more mixed than some suggest) with the available data that I’ve seen. It may suggest that the pilot reports come from a particular perspective and that elements outside of the normal flight sim world are dictating this impression.

Those kinds of things would be features like stick force required and the leverage available as the P-47 has a massive cockpit with lots of room to move while the FW190 and Bf109s had small cockpits and full stick deflection in some circumstances may be a challenge.

I don’t have the answers but I would encourage everyone to go looking for interesting test data (either supporting or disproving). If they find them I’d be interested in reading!

Other WWII fighters that achieved plenty of air to air kills rolled even more slowly. The A6M Zero takes 6.5 seconds for a complete roll and that’s at 160mph. At faster speeds it takes over 7 seconds.

The P-47 does have the luxury of rolling well across the speed range (slow and fast)… some pilots may have considered that excellent.