IL-2 patch 3.012 is live! Two new planes, tanks, new map

1CGS has a habit of surprising us and here they are surprising us again with a major patch coming just two weeks after the last one. Patch 3.012 is now live and this time, we’ve got five pieces of content spread across their three products and they are: the Prokhorovka map, the M4A2 Sherman, the PzKpfw.III Ausf.M, the FW190D-9, and the Fokker D.VIIF. Fire up your auto updaters (for the 1.56 GB patch) and let’s dig into the details!

Dora-9 is here!

Probably my most flown version of the FW190 in the original IL-2 series, the FW190D-9 is one of the final variants of the FW190 series. It, in many ways, represents the last of the breed and is certainly the last to appear in any significant numbers.

The FW190D-9 comes with the EZ 42 gyro gunsight, a first for the IL-2 series. There’s also MW50 injection, 500kg bombs, the the R4M Orkan rockets. As is custom, 1CGS has not shied away from adding options and this is great to see especially as the FW190D-9 in IL-2: 1946 first appeared in 2003’s Forgotten Battles release and from there on never received its ground attack armament (or any options at all).

This is great to see and its also a great thing for future aircraft like the P-51D which we already know is going to come with bomb and rocket armament options – I love to see options and most of you know I want to see more there too.

Fokker D.VIIF

Speaking of options… we just received the Fokker D.VII in the last patch and now we’ve got the D.VIIF. Reinhold Platz, the aircraft’s designer, went looking to increase engine power and found it in the BMW IIIa which at full power was able to put out 240hp – at least for a short time. The D.VIIF appreciably improved the performance of the fighter and puts it at the top as one of the best fighters of WWI. The BMW engine supply was difficult to come by and so both D.VII and D.VIIF fighters served together until the end of the war.

I can’t wait to take this fighter up to see what it’s like.

The Prokhorovka map is here

With 16-times the detail of other maps in the IL-2: Great Battles Series, the Prokhorovka map brings with it a far higher level of detail than your conventional map, albeit in a smaller overall size (of 100x100km). The map is a compromise meant to offer higher details for tanks while being big enough to support combined arms fights.

It looks extremely good!

My impressions of the map will be coming out eventually although it may have to wait a couple more paychecks as I still haven’t got into Tank Crew.

Sherman and Panzer III

These tanks are just the third and fourth to release into the series but Tank Crew takes a major step forward now with four tanks and the titles map to support it. I also suspect that this will help increase attention on Tank Crew from people who may not necessarily be flight sim fans but are tank simulation fans.

The M4A2 Sherman and the PzKpfw.III Ausf.M are far more maneuverable than the Tiger and KV-1S tanks so it will be interesting to see these tanks up against the heavies of Tank Crew and see how the balance will play out between all of these in competitive matches.

What’s next and other thoughts

Although the impression I had for a while now was that the FW190D-9 would come with the Me262, it appears that the famous German jet fighter of WWII will be waiting a bit longer. That’s ok and frankly not too surprising given the depth of content released today and the likely extra developer time required to get the series’ first jet engine powered aircraft up and running. It’s also the series first swept wing aircraft and getting the flight dynamics right on this aircraft is going to be important.

After the Me262, it is the P-51D Mustang that is likely the next to appear in the series. 1CGS aircraft team has been showing us the fruits of their labour on the P-51D, P-38J-25, B-25D, and Tempest Mark V (Series 2) in recent updates as well.

Taking guesses on exactly when these will arrive is difficult but Jason did indicate that June was their target for the Mustang.

A lot of eyes will be focused particularly on the P-51D and so it is my hope that their is as much effort put into the British-powered, American-designed, legend of a fighter. I know some of you are anxious to have it now but I’m willing to wait if it means that we get as much attention paid to this fighter as possible (a couple of engine/fuel octane modifications would be immensely cool).

The next few months are going to be very interesting!

1. wolf pack345 says:

I have to say this patch caught me totally off guard! The frequency of these patches is wonderful! I have barley had time to mess around with the dolphin and now drop this!
    Wonderful write up as always shamrock. I appreciate your hard work! Keep it up o7

Many thanks Wolfpack! This patch caught me off guard as well and its filled to the brim with content too. Lots of new stuff to check out over the last two patches that I’m just starting to scratch the surface with.

2. Rico says:

The update was a total surprise! A few things feel a bit strange (no idea if it’s intentional or a bug) but on the whole it’s a great update and a lot of fun. The D9 is a dream and I even think my current queen (A3) is knocking off the throne.

Can someone in the development team please explain their love for the virtually non-existent aircraft of genocidal empires? EZ-42? Really? After the 1.98 mythical K-4? I suppose slave-labour built military systems are totally in vogue these days. But, no: it’s always SWOTL is kewl and here are some much earlier Allied aircraft to fly – we’ll get around to updating them in a few years.

TBH, this is getting rather offensive.

This addition I suspect was largely driven by them already having done most of the code with the Mark II GGS and the community asking for it loudly.

Jason’s working on some cool stuff for the allies too. I’ve no doubt. More options are better.

I should ask if there’s a top feature you’re looking for from them. Some folks want HVAR rockets, others are interested in the boosted engines, etc. I’m going to be greedy and say I want it all.

4. Michael Dwyer says:

Crap, that map looks cool, I will have to put something together in multiplayer to check it out.

5. no u says:

they said that the focke wulf and 262 were coming together unless stated otherwise…. they didnt state otherwise. whats going on here? can they at least tell us what happened?

Plans tend to change during development no matter how well planned out things are.

To the best of my knowledge, the only post that gave us any real indication that they may come together was this one and Jason did say that release dates (and by extension everything else about the order) were subject to change: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/42521-when-the-p51-will-be-available/?do=findComment&comment=720883

Hi Shamrock (and thanks again for your assessment), I am perfectly aware of prioritisation and I sympathise with the team. The Dora is fantastic, the K-4 climbs like the rocket it is and the 262 I eagerly await.

The thing is, these aircraft were a minority in general for much of the BoBp time-frame. The 1.98 ata no one actually knows if it really saw much service (30-50? Maybe? There is literally no proof of when it was used, sorties etc). Same with the EZ-42 – a few pics of them, some factory output reports, but nothing substantive to say that they were used. KG51 is the only 262 unit in the map area

Having them is great, but there is an opportunity cost issue. The Spit IX’s rockets I would put under the same heading, to be honest. Given we have several Merlin variants (and more coming with the P-51), I am a little surprised that the main RAF fighter is left at an Autumn ’44 setting despite the endless data that they were flown in a high octane configuration by the New Year. There were more Spit XIVs than 1.98 ata K-4s and Ez-42 equipped 190s combined (hell, there were probably more Sopwith Snipes in service in 1918 than these 2 types in 1945).

We are not getting the XIV, or a Mossie or a Typhoon, but we do have an under-powered, early scenario Spit. A lovely Spit, don’t get me wrong, but since they offered the Merlin 70 (maybe less of a priority given the tactical nature of both SP and MP), would not a late Merlin 66 config be of greater value and hence a better use of team’s limited resources?

I have this horrible vision of a an early Tempest, taking the RAF’s most advanced low-level fighter and turning it into a lump of lead (the RAF only gets 2 aircraft), so it will be border-line useless. With the Spit IX a little behind in the relative stakes in the face of minority opposition advanced variants, this is a little sad but fits into a tendency towards a Luft ’46 approach by developers since SWOTL.

Like you said: more options, more fun. But at the moment it seems a little one-sided despite the abundance of evidence of how Allied aircraft were operating at this time, mirrored by a paucity of evidence about the nominal Luftwaffe ‘high=end types’.

So in answer to your question: if we get multiple engine / equipment variants for one side (with directly useful performance attributes) then it should be true of all sides. I enjoy MP as well as SP and tend to fly all sides, but so far the RAF is a little under-whelming while the P-47 is – to put it mildly – a strange [‘coptering] beast. If we could therefore get a little balance in terms of the ’45 scenarios faced by Allied fighters then I am sure it would make a lot of people happy and balance better the handful of German aircrfat which are now available as common options in BoBp.

You’ve got absolutely valid points Blue. I think, based on what Jason said in one of my earlier interviews that he and team are aware of the concerns and they will (I hope anyways) address them.

I’m a patient person so all I’m advocating for is to give them some time to give us lots of options. The Allied side definitely should get some cool stuff too.

You’re absolutely right to bring this stuff up.

BTW: You’ve given me some good thoughts for a future editorial. Thanks again for your comments on this!