Eagle Dynamics’ latest Open Beta for DCS World is out and with it come a mix of updates for variety of modules and one significant milestone. Development on Persian Gulf is now complete with several additions to the map marking its final stage of development and with it comes an absolutely epic trailer. The F-14 also gets a long list of fixes, and the JDAM comes to the F/A-18C Hornet for the first time.
Persian Gulf map is complete
Last year, Eagle Dynamics released the Persian Gulf for DCS World. Not content to stop development with their initial release, the team has been working on adding more air bases and slightly expanding the map on the northern edge. That effort is now all coming to a close as the final additions to the map round out the Persian Gulf’s content.
The latest update brings with it the following additions:
- Added new airfields: Liwa Airbase, Ras Al Khamiah International Airport, Lavan Island airport.
- Added historical sites: Bam city, Persepolis, Rayen Citadel.
- North end of Bandar Abbas – parkings added.
- Cleanup after repair added.
- Many minor changes.
The map now has 29 detailed airfields spread out from the north to the south and that makes Persian Gulf the largest map in DCS World when measured airbase to airbase.
Celebrating the final release of this map, Glowing Amraam has put together an absolutely epic DCS World cinematic that advertises the final release. Worth checking out just for the quality of the video.
Long list of F-14 updates
Heatblur’s excellent DCS: F-14 already feels pretty good in early access but they are still heavily in development squashing bugs and fixing functionality in places. Here’s the master list of updates that have arrived in this patch as I think many of this might apply to you depending on your interest in the jet:
- Fix for DDD aspect switch unit scaling for supersearch & acquisition.
- Fix for being able to fill dropped external tanks.
- Adjustments to structural integrity and wing snap code (hopefully corrects less lenient structural damage with higher network latencies)
- Fixed floating gear emergency extension handle.
- New: Added radar beam structure emulation to the RWR.
- RWR gains and signal strength thresholds adjusted.
- RWR threat library version changed to “R9D2”.
- Hook bypass switch input fix.
- Tweaked 6-dof view limits. Less goosing through the canopy.
- Converted some lua option strings to facilitate translation.
- Added custom cockpit livery option.
- Removed l10n folder from coremods.
- Added another option to RADIO MENU AND PTT BEHAVIOUR: DON’T USE DEFAULT PTT (RADIO MENU) BUTTONS FOR SRS.
- Additional push to talk entries for controlling SRS without interacting with the radio menus.
- Added clickspots for the AN/ARC-159 buttons: LOAD and TONE.
- Fixed ground air and electrical still on after flight.
- Multicrew sync of ejection arm switches.
- Fixed jester landing calls special option not working.
- Restore functionality to show HUD movable reticle (pipper) for TCS in STT modes (hiding HUD steering tee implicitly).
- Changed default Jester ripple quantity options to 2,3,4,6,8,16,28.
- Fix Sidewinder keybind volume adjustment infinite loop.
- Adjusted aerodynamic damage effects.
- Small adjustments to thrust and drag models
- Fixed the names of the RIO CMS input commands (AN/ALE-39).
- Fixed the kneeboard displaying wrong mag var values for Nevada (first page).
JDAM’s come to DCS: F/A-18C
The JDAM (Joint Direct Attack Munition) is now available in a limited way for the DCS: F/A-18C Hornet. The full implementation is underway, however, for now the JDAM will have limited modes and, as users have reported, its not all that accurate at the moment. That will change!
For now, check out Matt Wagner’s video on how to use them: