The DCS: F-16C trailer is here!

It’s been a bit of a wait but the DCS: F-16C Viper gameplay trailer is here and it is a work of art! The visuals and music hit all the right notes showcasing the latest work by Eagle Dynamics on their next full fidelity module. Check it out!

Viper trailer!

The wait was a little longer than expected but it was worth it! There’s a kind of reverence for the F-16 on display here that I wasn’t expecting but that puts a really nice touch on the hard work that the Eagle Dynamics team has done on the jet.

Since we last saw it I think the quality of the textures and reflections has gone up a notch adding the details and quality that we’ve come to expect from Eagle Dynamics. They may have even exceeded their past work and pushed towards the kind of extreme detailing that developers like Heatblur have pioneered for DCS World. Regardless of the influence, the DCS:F-16C Viper is looking great!

New information?

The trailer doesn’t give us too much information and its unclear if the weapons used during the trailer are fully indicative of what actually works on the jet right now.

We do know from the initial early access weapon list that the initial launch will be mostly limited to air-to-air and unguided air-to-ground munitions. In the trailer we do see the AGM-65 being fired but I’m unclear of if its an indicator of advanced system modelling already underway or just something to tide us over until the features are actually launched sometime after release.

It’s unclear but I would defer to their early access list.

Swaying hearts and minds?

Trailers like this tend to help hype up a new module and the DCS: F-16C Viper trailer is certain to do that. This shows off the new jet in the best possible light at this still early stage of development and puts the F-16 in about the same place as the F/A-18C was prior to its early access launch.

For those of you already excited, I suspect you’ll be still extremely excited about this aircraft. For those on the fence is this something that helps put you over the edge? Or are you holding out waiting for a more complete jet? Let me know in the comments!

1. HBPencil says:

In regards to your last paragraph, I assume you’re talking only to existing DCS players but I’ll add my 2 cents worth anyway… for the longest time I wasn’t the slightest bit interested in DCS (and I’m still not interested in the WW2 and helicopter modules) but recently I’ve been watching a fair few DCS jet videos on YouTube and I’m tempted to get into it, the M-2000C being the draw card as it appeals to me.Yet I’m now wondering if I should hold off and wait for the F-16 which I find even more appealing?! I could maybe get both but money is an issue for me sometimes. Regardless, the F-16 is something that makes me more likely to get into DCS.

I welcome any opinions on this. If you’re just getting into DCS World it may be a great thing to get into a new module that doesn’t have too many features yet. Learning the Hornet month by month as new features came online has been great for me.

Others are frustrated by the slow progress. It depends on how you see things.

The M-2000C was my first full fidelity jet for DCS. I think it’s really good. You can easily get it on a sale for about $30.

2. Mischiew Rithe says:

Shamrock has a wise advice there, as usual. Getting an early access module could be a good or a bad experience, depending on who you are, but I think it also depends on who’s making the module – in this case it’s ED so it’s pretty safe, we know it’ll come in a good state and will progress nicely to completion.

I got the M-2000C in early access and I haven’t really enjoyed getting very slow updates. I ended up ignoring the modules for years, until it got to a decent state with a good manual and a lovely training / campaign set. So not such a good experience there in the early access, I should have bought it much later. And come to think of it, it’s the same with the Harrier.

Maybe it’s just specific to Razbam, I did the same for the Hornet and was happy about it, this time. I had the feeling it was progressing at a steadier pace. It also has more complex systems, so it’s perfectly find to learn feature by feature. It was also more mature when first released. Maybe it’s just chance, in any case it’s only my own impression.

Older modules have the advantage of being mature and having more DLC, user modifications, and so on. The M-2000C is there now, I think, although they’re about to update its behaviour drastically once again, if I understood correctly (plus the radar which is also about to change). So maybe this module has the advantage of regularly offering a new experience :p But I still love it, it’s a great jet and the free training/campaign combo is very well made.

I think you can’t be wrong, either way. It’s just about how long you are ready to wait.

Definitely some wise words here too! 🙂

Regarding the Mirage, I will be writing some updates on that sometime soon. Some or all (I’m not quite sure what the roadmap is here) of the revised avionics are in as of the last open beta patch. M-2000C has been pretty good about being mostly done for a couple of years now with the recent changes being spurred on more by RAZBAM’s new relationship with the AdA and the ability to get some time on a real M-2000C simulator.

Waiting for the revised cockpit to appear. Apparently RAZBAM will be giving it the same treatment that the AV-8B got and that was brilliant.

3. HBPencil says:

Cheers for the advice guys, it’s appreciated. I might hold off on getting the 2000C until they’ve implemented those updates or until it’s on sale.
      Ok, this may be a silly question, but can I assume that buying a module gives one access to content that’s already in-game? By that I mean, if I jumped online would I still see people flying around in jets I don’t own?

Not a silly question at all. DCS is a bit like IL-2 in that there is a common core (that is DCS World) that includes all of the external objects. The exception is DCS: WWII but we’ll ignore that for now.

So, yes you’ll see all of the modules operating in a multiplayer server even if you don’t own the module.

2. HBPencil says:

Cool, thanks for the confirmation.

2. VK-94 says:

In a Youtube comment of the trailer, Wags announced that the Litening will be available at launch, that could explain the LGBs seen on the trailer.

Regarding the trailer itself, this is the first time Glowing Amraam didn’t hit the cord with me. The visuals and editing are great, no question about that, I just feel it lacks something. I still plan to fly her when I will not hop into the Mirage anyway xD

Really? I missed that comment. I’ll have to have a look!

2. TexasWarbird says:

I felt the same way – I enjoyed the start, but as soon as the music started its own score I wasn’t paying as much attention. But if historical speeches carried thought the entire video. I would’ve been sold LOL

But that’s just me.

3. arkhamuk says:

I cant wait to have that great canopy view in VR and multi-role in one module is always good value i think.

Lots of value for sure. One of the great things about the Hornet is the versatility. When I join in on a Georgia at War scenario I can ask what’s needed and be able to bring whatever is required to the fight.

4. Mischiew Rithe says:

I slipped. Unfortunately my mouse was on the pre-purchase button when it happened. Ah well 🙂

I’m a patient guy so I don’t care much about which order the feature are coming in, if that’s an early access. But yes, very excited about this beautiful and agile jet, probably more than for any other module so far 🙂

Haha! These things do tend to happen!

5. Voidhunger says:

I dont like DCS and Im not interested in modern jets but this trailer is beautiful. I would really like to have similar video in BOBP enviroment.
    Its a top notch!

Glowing Amraam is one of the best for sure. I’m trying my best to try and deliver a semi-similar experience but its hard. DCS’ camera views allow for so many more cinematic options than IL-2’s so its a bit harder to do.

Think I’ll stick to my Hornet and Harrier. Lovely a/c that it is, I cannot see a good reason to buy given what I have.