New DCS: Syria ‘Golan Strike’ video is impressive! (updated!)

Ugra Media, a third party developer for DCS World, have been busy over the last few years putting together their DCS: Syria map. This latest video by Matt Wagner flying an F-16C on a short strike mission and it gives us plenty of new visuals of this map. Let’s have a look!

Updated July 8, 2020 at 9:55 pm EDT

Golan Strike mission

Flying an F-16C armed with some low altitude drag bombs, Matt Wagner showcases the map by performing a pop-up attack on some artillery. It’s our best look at the map and how it looks at low altitudes. It’s also a really good showcase of the unique and varied terrain on the map as well as one of the Israeli air bases featured on the map.

This video more than anything else we’ve seen really shows off the unique look that the map has versus some of the other desert maps we’ve seen from DCS World. Have a look!

Matt Wagner reports in the video that the map will be released later this summer and that he will be doing several videos showcasing different areas of the map as time goes on.

Also, if you’re wondering about the skin, according to NineLine on this r/hoggit post, the skin is by a third party. Here’s what NineLine had to say,

The livery is by BarTzi, we are looking to include this and other great skins into the core. Thanks.

NineLine on r/Hoggit

That would be great to see! I’ve seen some amazing skins by third parties and I’d be great to see more variety and variation on multiplayer servers as time goes on.

Canyon run?

Glowing Amraam has released a new video on his YouTube channel called ‘F/A-18C | Canyon Run’ with little else to distinguish it by. From the looks of the moving map and the scenery, this isn’t the standard Caucasus region map but likely another location for the new DCS: Syria map. It’s likely that Glowing Amraam is working on sequences for a new video showcasing the map and this is just a bit of b-roll from what he was working on. Nice bit of marketing if that’s the case.

1. Ryan says:

You know what else would be impressive? Vulkan, decent VR performance and a complete Hornet!

Absolutely. DCS needs to solve some problems, however, I think it good to look at something like this with a bit of isolation too. Ugra Media appear to have gone the extra mile to produce a hopefully finished map which would be a good change in pace.

1. Fear says:

I switched over from DCS to IL-2 as my primary flight sim because it runs so effortlessly in VR. However, I’m still excited for this map and it looks like it might be the best yet from a detail perspective. I’m confident ED will get VR running smoothly one day and still love the product overall.

Someday soon I hope we’ll see DCS performance match the rest of the visuals. This map is definitely looking impressive!

2. CanadaOne says:

Give me the map – Take my money!

It looks great!

3. Fernando says:

Syria now. Next stop : Tha HIND \m/

4. Martin says:

Maps looks beautiful. So many possibilities for combat.

5. Mischiew Rithe says:

The map is beautiful but I’m sceptical about the performances with this level of detail.

I’m not using VR (TrackIR only), and Normandy is barely possible for me, the Channel map is far from possible. Matt claims his hardware is “System: 6770k, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1080, and 1 TB SSD.”, his videos are very smooth and highly detailed, yet I have about the same system, so I guess he has something better than that… I’m wondering which system he actually has to get this level of performance on the new maps, so I know what I have to buy in order to be back in DCS.

I suppose anything below RTX 2080 Ti, NVMe and high-end i7/mid-i9 with 32 GB is to be excluded, but this is expensive hardware!

6. Robbie65NL says:

Stunning !

7. busdriver says:

A minor point of order WRT those “low altitude drag bombs.” The bombs are Mk-82s with the BSU 49 kit. That’s a mouthful to say. During mission planning, we would refer to this weapon as either Mk-82 AIR or BSU 49 (even though that strictly referred to the kit on the back of the bomb). The BSU 49 contains the “ballute” that inflates to provide a high drag delivery. In the Jurassic Era, we would select B49 on the SMS and select NOSE (fusing) if you want a low drag delivery or either NSTL or TAIL for a high drag delivery. So my point is these bombs could be delivered like a standard Mk-82 (low drag) or as you see in the video.

Hey Busdriver!

Thanks for the details and point of clarification. I didn’t know that they were configurable in that way. I’m going to have to get some more time with these on the Hornet and Viper in DCS soon to try that out!