Recent Reflected Simulation’s DCS: The Channel Map experiences

Ever since the new DCS: The Channel Map came out I’ve been looking for missions and campaigns for the DCS: The Channel Map and it seems that they are finally starting to arrive. In this update I’m looking at the work done by Reflected Simulations to make use of the map and drive some interesting single player experiences there.

Horrido! campaign

The release of Horrido! satisfies two different needs at once. First, it’s the first paid campaign for the DCS: Fw190A-8 and for the DCS: The Channel map together. This 12-mission semi historical campaign puts you in the skies alongside JG26 in August of 1944. There are detailed briefings, unique kneeboard cards, voice over messages and radio broadcasts, and a variety of mission types.

There’s an official trailer available as well as gameplay available from Philstyle which, IMHO, gives you the best picture of what the missions are like and what the quality of the campaign is like.

It’s all enough to make me interested in this campaign and so when there’s time I will be checking it out. It’s available for $9.99 USD on the DCS World E-Shop.

Free alternate version of The Big Show first mission

Another release from Reflected Simulations is a new free and alternate version of The Big Show campaign for DCS: Spitfire IX but this time also using the new DCS: The Channel Map. I’ll let the recent post on Reflected Simulations tell the next part of the story.

This is an alternate version of mission 1 of “The Big Show” campaign using the Channel map. I made it because the area of operation in this mission is a low detail area on the Normandy map – originally used by the campaign. It looked alright when I made the campaign, so I decided to use the historical accurate location for this mission. Then the Normandy map was updated, and now the low detail areas look absolutely terrible. I reported this, but I got no reply from its developers. Now with the Channel map released you can play it over a much more detailed and realistic scenery, because it covers the area in question. It can be played as a single mission, or as part of the official campaign. Make sure you read the ReadMe file first.

Reflected Simulations on Facebook

Definitely a nice touch and a great thing to be able to try out the campaign with an alternate configuration using the new map that takes advantage of the more detailed sectors provided by it. Screenshots are provided too which, again, make this mission look really exciting!

If you have the DCS: Spitfire IX and the DCS: The Channel map, this mission is free to check out right here in the User Files section.

Do you have recommendations?

For those DCS: WWII fans out there with the new Channel Map, have you found many experiences using it? Are there missions or campaigns available that I’ve overlooked. I’m curious to know what else might be out there.

1. Francesco Kasta says:

I don’t see much appeal in the recently released Syria and Channel maps. They feel too similar to what we already had to justify the purchase. I already own tons of modules in DCS which I never touch.

1. Francesco Kasta says:

*see.

I’m holding off on a big review of each until I’ve fully explored them, however, they are likely DCS’ best maps. Syria appears to be too similar to Persian Gulf but it isn’t and The Channel appears too similar to Normandy and while it is, it’s also better in most ways.

What remains to be seen is how the community will pick up and utilize them.

1. LD88 says:

I was skeptical at first, but after having bought Syria and Channel, they are definitely the best “maps” of DCS for quality & “feel”. Persian gulf is good, but it is what it is – sand and water. Syria I suspect is going to become the new “standard” for paid maps in DCS community given time. It has a lot of varied terrain including being excellent for helicopters, historical significance for any era, and again, the detail / quality level. It could also substitute easily for a number of other “scenarios”, as the Caucasus has before… Now if only DCS would stop screwing around and make a Vietnam map already….

3. Francesco Kasta says:

I don’t doubt the newer maps are better, actually it can be verified easily by the screenshots and videos around that they are great. Honestly from a marketing stand point it wouldn’t make much sense to release new maps so similar to the old ones without any noticeable improvement in detail and looks.

This also means that if I had Syria and The Channel I would hardly have any reasons to go back to the Persian Gulf or Normandy, adding yet other two modules to the “never touch” list.

2. CanadaOne says:

I’m a big fan of the Channel Map. Granted I fly my Harrier over it most, but it’s still a beautiful map. I think the reason I haven’t spent much time on the Syria map is FS2020. But it’s nice to have and I’m sure I’ll explore and blow up more of it during the winter

I do like flying over Beirut. Holds a special place in my heart.

3. ACG_Paddy says:

The Channel map is insufficient – it lacks airfields and some of those present are based on post war configurations. They need to finish it and bring it up to scratch. After all, it wasnt a freebie.

4. Chris says:

In a recent interview there was mention of Vietnam (map) . However that is a long way off.

Those videos appeared to several DCS shortcomings: lots of wing breading, massively gut-tearing manouvres, the B-17s jerking around to a ridiculous degree when hit. Also, having B-17s bombing at night and the player repeatedly colliding with bombers felt rather amateur.

Little surprised that they went with that as the final version.

Some of that is for dramatic effect so it didn’t bother me that much. The rest definitely shows off DCS World’s shortcomings with the current damage and AI flight model (much simplified from the player model). Both of those core issues are being enhanced but it’s not there yet.