IL-2 dev update covers Spitfire XIV, Me410, damage models and 4K skins, more!

The latest IL-2 developer diary is packed full of screenshots and details on a whole range of subjects. From the Spitfire XIV, Me410, and Ar234 progress updates to updates on the V-1, damage model fixes for the Bf109, tactical codes for aircraft, and details of which aircraft are getting the 4K skin treatment next.

Spitfire XIV is in beta!

The 2,000 hp Griffon powered Spitfire XIV is coming to IL-2: Great Battles and it looks like it’s release is nearly upon us as we have news that the XIV is now in beta testing. Typically, whenever we’ve heard that an aircraft is in beta testing, it emerges just a few weeks later.

For now, we get to enjoy these latest screenshots which show off the sharp lines, one of the custom textures, and what appears to be a completed cockpit. Looking great!

Bf109 tail section damage model update

There were issues with the Bf109’s tail section in the last damage model update that affected all Bf109’s except the E-7. The issue stemmed from the issues of a loss of a vertical stabilizer simultaneously resulted in the less of the horizontal stabilizer too. The team took steps to prevent that from happening which meant that the 109 went from having too weak of a tail to too strong of a tail.

As An. Petrovich reported in the developer update, a 3D model update was necessary. Here’s what he had to say:

It was only possible to do it “right” by completely reworking the 3D models of these tails and adding a new break point on the vertical stabilizer (as in E-7). Which is what we did in the end.

An. Petrovich on the IL-2 developer Diary

The issue now appears resolved and will presumably be in the next patch.

Me410 and Ar234 models progress

Slated to be added to the sim nearer the end of the development cycle, it’s still very good news to see that efforts on the Me410 and Ar234 are moving along well and that their 3D models are in progress. The Ar234 represents a very early model while the Me410 model appears to be complete.

There are many months of work still required on both so don’t expect them soon. Still, Axis ground attack pilots will likely be very interested to know that these aircraft are on the way and will offer some more options. That Me410 looks superb and I can’t wait to try it out!

Tactical codes and 4K textures

One of the coolest revelations recently has been the news that the IL-2 team are finally now able to offer dynamic tactical codes for the sides of aircraft. The latest update shows the UI that players will be able to use to access this feature as well as the latest progress.

Martin “ICDP” Catney continues his efforts to bring high quality 4K exterior textures to series. The MC.202 and Ju88A-4 take their turn next as the aircraft that will receive the treatment. The updated textures and all of the possible schemes are presented here with a very cool poster style format.

Next up? The Spitfire Mark Vb which I hope will see a few more skins added to the mix including some generic options suitable for the channel wars of 1943 and 1944.

Other details

We also learned about a few other items this week including:

• V-1’s are going to be done as a full aircraft with a damage model and flight model that will give it enough depth to be realistically tippable if flown alongside in the correct manner. Nice!
  • Also on the agenda is an Italian pilot model is being worked on that will go along with the MC.202 similar to how the Soviet female pilot was created.
  • Jason reports that they are working on a more efficient way to distribute skins in future updates as the current method is making for a more challenging update process. Read that comment here.
  • Jason is hopeful that the Air Marshal feature will emerge this summer. He reports it hasn’t gone as well as planned but clearly there is an end is in sight.

For the rest, check out the latest developer diary!

1. Robert Haynes says:

I know there’s been a bunch of comments about the .50 cals not having the punch they needed, but I always thought one of the issues was the BF109 tail soaking up a ton of damage. In my single player dogfights, I never had problems bringing down an FW190, but the 109s were beasts.

I’m happy to hear they’ve worked out a solution, and it’s being implemented. I know plenty of people won’t think this change goes far enough, but I guess I’m not one of them.

2. HBPencil says:

Being a Spitfire nerd I’m really looking forward to the Mk.XIV. One concern I’ll mention here that I won’t on the IL-2 forum is I wonder how the Griffon engine will sound, engine audio (especially the external audio) is something of weak point for this sim… not that it’ll stop me from flying and enjoying her of course 🙂
    The Me410 looks nice, the clean 3D renders really shows off her lines.

Yeah I’m sure that the sound will be based on the “Merlin” and made to sound a bit angrier but I don’t think it’ll have the full effect of a real engine sample. The sounds in IL-2 are decent but not award winning.

That Me410 does have some nice lines!

3. Eggnog says:

Thanks for linking those comments from Jason, I have been wondering about Air Marshall, seems like some neat possibilities! Always impressed by the work these guys are doing.

4. Dan the man says:

Great news about the skins, ROF had a great system where we could download the packs. In IL-2 BOX it’s been a real pain collecting and installing every skin one by one manually.

Yeah that has been a pain. I recommend checking out my recent article about the community skin downloader however. Makes a huge difference!

5. Francesco Kasta says:

I cannot wait to try and flip a v1 with the tip of the wing! …and fail miserably.

That’s going to be fun! I can’t wait to see the videos that come from that!

6. Novice-Flyer says:

Really good DD this week! Glad to see WIP images of the Arado 234 and Me-410. It feels great to get the Typhoon, B-26, and Me-410 because save for mods and CFS3/Firepower, they have never been in a CFS that I know of.

Speaking of Italian pilots, this brings me to a question: was there ever a tentative plan to go to North Africa/MTO after BoM or BoK? I ask this because it feels so unnecessary to include the MC.202 in the game when considering the fact that the only place in the game it saw action was at Stalingrad. Even more, only 17 missions were flown before being phased out of the Eastern front in January 1943. It never saw any action at Moscow despite being part of that pack (one could say the same about other Collectors, but they were used in other places currently in the game). That’s why I feel that if they were going to North Africa/MTO after BoM or BoK, then it would make perfect sense to include the Folgore.

If 40+ planes/variants/modifications can be included in a single installment then it’s fine to get as many aircraft possible like in DW-T. But when limited to just 10 aircraft (maybe a few more if you include variants/modifications), all aircraft types have to be chosen precisely based on operational use and how profitable this plane will sell.
    IMO, if the devs wanted to include an Italian plane for BoM they should have made the MC 200, that plane saw much more action on the Eastern front than the MC 202.

One more thing to mention is that for DW-T, Team Fusion also built the MC 202 over the MC 200, but that was because they had to choose between the MC 200 and the MC 202, and believed the Folgore would be more appealing to players than the MC 200. However, they do plan to include it in their next installment.

BTW, this is not meant to be an attack on 1C.

Novice

Nothing has ever officially been suggested on a MTO addon although it’s an area that a few of us have mused on. Why they went with the MC.202 over the 200 I’m also not sure. The inclusion of an Italian aircraft came alongside the inclusion of the series first American aircraft and I think the idea at the time was to try and appeal to both sets of players with a national aircraft of interest.

Doing an Italian pilot could be an early indication of a move to cover the war in Italy (which offers some great opportunities and aircraft) but it could also just be a nice to have feature that the character modeler has time to do right now between other projects. So…. we’ll see!

1. Robert Haynes says:

I would jump at the chance to fly in North Africa or in Italy in IL2.

7. Urgent Siesta says:

Really liking the prospect of the rare German birds, and esp that the buzz bomb will be “flippable” 😁

One of the many reasons I love the Normandy aircraft set. Types like the Me410 and Ar234 are fantastic to have and add considerable variety to the set. Even the Ju88C-6 is going to be a unique variant to have.