Flight Journal: Half a kill on The Korean War server

Last night I hopped onto a new DCS World server and a new experience for me that I wanted to write about. This time it was into the cockpit of the DCS: F-86, an aircraft I had purchased only recently, and onto the player versus enemy AI (PvE) experience of The Korean War server. Read on!

Out on patrol

I’ve been wanting to broaden my DCS World experiences a lot recently which is why I’ve been flying helicopters and looking to other aircraft to fly. Last night, I hopped into “The Korean War” server and did a flight with Cubeboy from Skyward Flight Media.

After binding some controls that I hadn’t yet setup, we lined up on the runway and were soon airborne.

The Korean War server is currently using the southern sector of the Caucasus map as an imaginary Korea. The Caucasus mountains stand in reasonably well for the similarly rugged Korean peninsula so it works well enough. Would I love to see a Korean War map and assets? You bet!

MiG’s spotted!

Climbing above 20,000 feet, we began to contrail and started sweeping towards the frontlines.

As we completed part of our sweep, Cubeboy spotted two contrails on our 2 o’clock and we made a turn to intercept. The contrails turned to intercept us and we assumed they were MiG’s.

I broke high and to the right putting the presumed MiG’s on my 11 o’clock while Cubeboy continued on course. On merge it was clear that we were dealing with a pair of MiG-15’s and the fight was on.

Cubeboy tackled the leader while I broke into a tight turn above the wingman attempting to get lead on the target. Soon I would have a firing solution but it was not meant to be as my clumsy attempts at handling the F-86 at high speeds meant that the ailerons were less effective and the MiG-15 slipped my grasp.

Soon I was in a turn fight with the MiG-15 with both of us going around and around unable to gain lead.

Meanwhile, Cubeboy was in a similar situation with his MiG. Our fights merged as the other MiG-15 blasted past me with just meters to spare with Cubeboy in hot pursuit. He managed to get guns on his MiG-15, damaging it and causing it to turn out of the fight.

Unfortunately I was in a rough spot as the MiG-15 had gained lead and I had run out of altitude to burn. Pulling up and narrowly avoiding the ground, I decided that my only option was to extend and try and use terrain to avoid the MiG.

With Cubeboy on my distant 6 o’clock and the MiG-15 uncomfortably close I started to try and get the MiG into a rolling scissors before ducking behind a tall hill. For some reason, it worked and the MiG broke hard and left with an F-86 hot on his tail.

Redeeming gunnery

I broke to follow the MiG and ended up on his six first. Closing rapidly, the MiG ahead of me seemed temporarily unaware of my presence and I fired a burst of M3 .50cal machine guns at the MiG. A control surface flew off and the MiG pitched towards the ground. A good shot to redeem my earlier poor gunnery.

You’d think that this would be the last of the MiG but it was not and Cubeboy went down after it. We lost it in the trees only to pick it up again as it emerged into a valley. A short burst from Cubeboy’s guns and that MiG was down.

We then closed on the damaged leader MiG-15 which was limping away from the fight and brought it down too.

That was 1.5 kills for Cubeboy and half a kill for me.

Landing with not much fuel to spare

I ate up a lot of fuel in the fight with the MiG-15 and a quick check of fuel status revealed that I had very little left in the tank. It wasn’t quite a nail-biter of a return to base, or so I thought, until I looked at the fuel gauge after landing.

I taxied off the runway and checked the fuel state. Low!

I’d say that was a first successful mission on this server and I look forward to flying there again.

1. hypertexthero says:

Nice report!

I think the last time I flew a Sabre was in the 1999 Mig Alley.

The simplicity of the cockpits and guns battles are intriguing, and maybe my first purchased DCS “all clickable” plane will be an F-86 rather than an F-18 or F-16!

I really like the F-86. It’s very straightforward and easy to learn. It’s probably easier than most other combat aircraft because the jet engine requires less management than most WWII types and the overall simplicity of the systems are less involved than the more modern jets.

The only issue I have with the F-86 in DCS World is that there’s so little to do with it. This server is a notable and fun exception so that’s made the purchase worthwhile but aside from a few clever campaigns… there’s not much. Yet anyways. Still recommend it if you just want the individual aircraft experience.

2. Revell says:

The F-86 and MiG-15 are really quite well modelled and fun in DCS it’s a shame there isn’t much to do in them. Although if your interested in some PvP action the ‘KOREA! 1952’ sever occasionally run some flyouts checkout there discord https://discord.gg/KqpQSSC also the cold war server is sabre friendly (relatively)

Maybe after I’ve learned the F-86 a bit more I’ll venture into a more competitive arena. As it is, the AI pushed me to my limits with the aircraft!

3. NineLine says:

I enjoyed this, thanks for sharing!

Glad to hear it! Thanks for reading!

4. A Korea map would make a lot of sense, and it would be great to see a few more of the third-party developers start to create maps for their aircraft, like Razbam, but the scramble will be for Vietnam, Korea and Central Europe after that the demand for different maps is likely to drop off somewhat.

It would just be great to have a map that accommodates some of the early Cold War jets and piston-engine fighters that we have, and there’s no doubt that Korea is key to that!

I have no idea how complex it would be to do this but with the precedent being set of a WWII and modern version of the Marianas Islands, I’d love to see the same happen with Korea. A modern variant and a historical version would provide for an awful lot of great gameplay opportunities and some awesome scenery.

1. TENGU says:

I think maybe a Taiwan Straits would make a good map that would support scenarios which could include many of the aircraft we have available (MiG-15, MiG-17 (soon), MiG-19, MiG-21, F-86, F-5, Mirage 2000)

2. harryvoyager says:

It strikes me, a Vietnam map may be easier to do these days than it has been in the past.

The country has been opening up quite a bit in the last few years, and at this point both sides have mostly come to view the others as honorable adversaries.

We’ve also got the MiG-21 and F-5, though we still need the F-4.

Great report.

I wonder whether – if Jason cannot make the BoX engine work well enough for Pacific – we might get a 5 + 5 aircraft set and a Central Korean map as the follow-on to Normandy. They put a lot of work into the 262 for the jet age and it would allow an F4U without the carrier complexity.

I would not be surprised in the least if 1CGS one day announced that their next project was Korea. They have a lot of the technology in place and the dev team has expressed interest on more than one occasion.

6. Jp says:

F-86 vs sabre is the most pure form of old school combat. No shooting missiles from really far away. You gotta get in there and fight it out.

That’s for sure. Although I’m no stranger to close in combat, the F-86/MiG-15 is a unique and challenging duel.

7. butcher75 says:

As a child I always thought the F86 was the most beautiful Aircraft I’d ever seen. When I got the chance in DCS I Brought it instantly and Loved it. What I wasn’t Prepared for How much I would fall in love with the DCS MIG 15. Very Capable Fighter especially if you get in trouble against the F86 and use the vertical to your advantage. A Lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing!

The MiG-15 is definitely worth a revisit for me sometime. I flew it during the last free to play but haven’t since.

8. 1_Robert says:

“The Korean War server is currently using the southern sector of the Caucasus map as an imaginary Korea”.
    For me this is DCS in a nutshell. I buy most modules in DCS only to soon abandon them for this very reason. I really wish they would rebuild the ecosystem, it just makes no sense to me. The fidelity of the modules is second to none but…

9. CanadaOne says:

And don’t you just love the punchy sound of the 6 x .50 cals? Especially with headphones.

Next to the BRRRRRRTTT!, I think the Sabre has the most satisfying gun sound in DCS.

Oh yeah, it sounds really good!

10. Doctor Drago says:

*sigh*

My Stormbirds habit is gonna get me in trouble…just the other day I was thinking, “I really liked the Sabre when I tried it during the free-play period, maybe I should consider getting it for real?”. And then here you come with another exciting flight journal and now I own the Sabre.

It’s not the first time this has happened, either. It’s like some sort of universal constant. “Shamrock’s First Law states that when you are on the fence about buying a flight sim product, your favorite blog will post an article that will push you over the edge.”

Yeah, if there’s one thing I’m not very good at here is convincing people not to buy cool modules ☺️