MSFS gets Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, and Andorra World Update

World Update 8 is out for Microsoft Flight Simulator with new enhanced scenery for Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, and Andorra. Let’s have a look at some of the features!

POIs, airports, and more

The latest World Update for Microsoft Flight Simulator comes with the now expected laundry list of features including new photogrammetry, points of interest, handcrafted airports and more.

Here’s what the official website had to say:

In Microsoft Flight Simulator World Update VIII, this region has been enhanced with a variety of new, high resolution geographic improvements, including elevation data, photogrammetry, and aerial imagery for a stunning experience. This update includes four handcrafted airports, 99 custom points of interest (POIs), four bush trips, four new discovery flights, and five brand new landing challenges.

FlightSimulator.com

100 airports had their information updated and another 1,000 airports across the world were added as part of the core game update (WU8 not required). That list is available here. Six cities received new photogrammetry. They are Lisbon, Barreiro, Malaga, Bilbao, Cascais, and Coimbra.

There’s a mammoth list of new points of interest and I wanted to note that they do include places like the Canary Islands. Infact, the opening shot of the trailer is of Tenerife where I’ve been flying in X-Plane 11 recently. Looks like I’ll be making a return visit in another sim! Speaking of the trailer, check it out!

Local Legend: Ju52 also saw a series of updates aimed at correcting some of the issues with that aircraft.

Check the full update out on the Flight Simulator website and the announcement on Xbox News.

1. harryvoyager says:

I wonder when they have a Mexico and Central America in the queue?

It seems to be a generally neglected region in flight sims, but it has some impressive regions.

That’s a good question. I don’t know what the behind the scenes is but I suspect that the areas they are doing are a combination of the ones most flown by the community in combination with areas that have available photogrammetry and the like.

I’m still waiting for Canada 🙂

2. Urgent Siesta says:

THAT is a beautiful region – now I want to actually go!

This is perhaps the true value of MSFS – I paid once, and I keep getting significant FREE regional upgrades that in other sims would’ve cost me several times my original investment.

So as the stable of genuinely good addons continues to grow, it’s harder and harder for me to continue on with other sims…

1. Ollifreund Popcorn says:

While the scenery is way to go, I feel let down by the rest of the sim. Aircraft seem like buy&forget, flight dynamics are mechanical, UX of the UI is like “heh?” and the lag and curve of the virtual stick movement kills immersion. MSFS has ~8 more years to live, I hope they’ll use it to make the game a serious sim.
      As for now, flightdynamicswise I prefer DCS, while I feel X-Plane is the most versatile overall package. Looking forward to XP12.

I definitely get why X-Plane has a ton of positive things behind it. I’m a fan too. I’ve got some really cool X-Plane aircraft that only recently have I started to see groups start to match-up.

That said, I don’t know what buy & forget means. I’ve enjoyed the heck out of the MSFS aircraft I have (you can see it in my Flight Journals).

Not sure about the other elements. MSFS flight model does continue to improve and gain more realism so while its not there yet… it’s getting better all the time. As you say, they have another 8 years in their development plan and I can only imagine how they continue to push their platform forward.

I just really want X-Plane to succeed as well. Not just for X-Plane fans but for everyone.

2. Ollifreund Popcorn says:

I like your positive attitude!

Concerning buy&forget: With almost every aircraft I bought, I expected too much. Yes, I like the Husky. But… some aircraft feel numb, e.g. accelerating the F-104 on the ground looks similar to Windows starfield simulation screensaver – like being on rails, nothing really happens other than scenery flowing. The Aerosofts TwinOtter has half of the acceleration of the P3D version.
        Concerning Asobo planes, the Texan with digital engine instruments show a difference of several 100 RPMs compared to the analog gauge. On landing the TBM 900 floats down half the runway before touchdown. Some L-39 and Texans have a digital HSI, but I am unable to set the course. It seems they are rather interested to sell another $20 addon, than getting serious with fixing the basic details of existing addons.

Positive thinking about flight sims is part of my whole deal here 🙂

There are some stinkers in the marketplace. I’ve not tried the F-104 but there are very few combat aircraft in there that I’d consider purchasing. Some of them are not good.

There are some issues with instrument readouts yep. And a lot of us have noted that most MSFS aircraft (not just the TBM) have a little too much ground effect. That issue seems to be slowly resolving as more details are being added to the flight model. I’m very excited to see what the effect the new CFM system that they have been showing off will ultimately do to that – I have high hopes!

I think it’s an incredible simulation. A few people turn their noses at it for one reason or another but I tend to not be very tribal about my sims and like to see all of these sims forge forward!