Joystick maker VIRPIL has been working hard on their T-50 series. The joystick came out last year and now, with the follow-up, is a T-50 throttle that is ready for production. The final version comes with some changes to the model based on user feedback. Let’s have a look!
This is the MongoosT-50 Throttle
The final throttle is very much a product of back and forth feedback with VIRPIL fans and the joystick maker. Feedback from multiple flight sim and space sim communities has no doubt helped this become a better final product.
Here are some of the key feature changes as told by VIRPIL themselves:
- The following significant changes have been made:
- Added LED backlighting which includes 3 mode and can be disabled entirely.
- Throttle axis mechanics have been completely redesigned, and are fully adjustable. This includes a tension adjustment and each lever has 2 completely customisable (and removable) detents.
- The length of the throttle handle stem has been increased.
- The base layout has been modified; the base has been widened by 2cm to allow for more comfortable operation of all the available controls.
- The main LED modes are Red, Green and combined for the final mode. We would like to hear from the community how you would like the LEDs to operate (and controlled) so that we can make the firmware accordingly.
- Due to these extensive changes, there may be some change on the previously announced price – this will be confirmed closer to the release.
- The release is scheduled for the end of the Q1 2018.
- Today – not just concepts, but renders of the final model are shown. These renders correspond to the exact model which has been sent for manufacture.
To summarize, the entire product was given a work over giving it a wider base, adding 3-mode LED backlighting, adjusting the length of the stem, and adjustable detents.
What doesn’t appear to have changed is the overall featureset. From the original announcement we know that the T-50 throttle has:
VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle Base
- 9 x Buttons
- 7 x Toggle Switches
- 2 x Axis Dials
- 3 x Encoders + Push
- 2 x Throttle Axis
- 1 x Auxiliary Axis
VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle Handles
- 4 x Buttons
- 2 x 2-way Switches
- 1 x 4-way + Push Hat or 1 x Analogue Mini-stick
- 1 x 4-way Hat
- 1 x Wheel Axis
Price for this was originally anticipated to be 239.95 EUR, however, it appears that they are looking at an increase due to the added features. The LED lighting is one of those features that tends to add cost and that may have something to do with it.
Release is expected to be Q1 2018 though I would caution against too much optimism given that hardware like this sometimes requires some back and forth with the final product reaching the factory and being produced.
This is still an exciting day. Fans of the T-50 joystick now have a matching throttle and it looks to be a solid one at that.