Seemingly out of nowhere, OctopusG and Eagle Dynamics have released the DCS: I-16 on to the DCS World e-Store for the price of $39.99. Here’s what we know!
Key features and price
DCS: I-16 is launching with some key features including a Russian cockpit and both Russian and English radio and documentation. Here’s the full list:
- Detailed animated 3D fighter model
- True interactive cockpit providing 6DoF
- Realistic simulation of aircraft systems including electric and fuel flow system, engine system and lighting facilities
- Realistic simulation of unique mechanical landing gear retraction system
- High-density textures of the cockpit and external 3 D model providing reflection and bump maps
- Set of authentic liveries
The aircraft is currently listed on the store as an ‘early access’ module meaning that its development may not be quite done yet. Price is set at $39.99 and according to the latest open beta notes, the module will be introduced into the open beta in the patch today.
If you’re interested, head on over to the DCS World e-Store and check out the DCS: I-16.
Labour of love
From what I’ve gathered over the few years that we’ve been hearing about this module, the DCS: I-16 is a labour of love for the developer of the aircraft. Bringing the I-16 to life in DCS World has apparently been a longstanding dream and it appears that they have made that dream a reality.
That development history likely explains why the I-16 fits outside of the DCS: WWII stable in terms of its 1944-45 “focus.” This 1930s era monoplane that fought with relative success in the first couple of years of war in the East is a far cry from the Spitfire IX or Bf109K-4 that we currently have for DCS World.
More details soon?
It’s possible that this release to the store was premature or that Eagle Dynamics plans to release more details later today. I will keep this post updated when new information comes in. Stay tuned folks!