DCS: Spitfire IX gets a chance to shine in free trial

The first of the DCS WWII warbirds to go to free trial is the DCS: Spitfire IX which is available for the next two days. Here’s some information and a few tutorials that you might find handy with this warbird. If it’s your first warbird in DCS World, be prepared to have a whole new experience!

Beautiful, superb handling

Most pilots will tell you that the Spitfire was a true joy of an aircraft to fly with sensitive handling and great response. Most pilots of era felt that the Spitfire flew intuitively with the aircraft being sensitive enough to respond as if almost by thought. There’s a lot of that on display with the DCS: Spitfire IX although I do recommend that most players tune their control axis’ before they really give the aircraft a workout.

Get the rudder and elevator trim right, manage your engine RPM and boost correctly, and the Spitfire will reward you with one of the best and most exciting rides you’ll ever have in DCS World. Get them wrong and it will be a bit of an uncoordinated mess. The Spitfire definitely teaches good piloting skills and that can be a reward in itself.

On the ground the Spitfire requires careful taxiing and use of the differential brake system (the brake lever is connected to the rudder). Unless you have an axis on your stick or throttle to bind it to, you may need to learn to constantly tap the brakes and dance on the rudder to keep it going straight.

Once it’s all going, the Spitfire IXc is a fast and capable warbird. Not as fast as the Bf109K-4 or Fw190D-9 that it sometimes sees online but it is still fairly quick and when it lacks speed, it makes up for it in superb agility with a tight turning radius.

The .303 machine guns on the wings aren’t that powerful but the 20mm Hispano Mark II cannons will chew up enemy aircraft and ground targets quickly. The Spitfire does come equipped with optional bombs for attacking ground targets and a clipped wing variant is also available with faster rates of roll but with a slight climb and high altitude performance penalty.

Right now the Spitfire IX is my only DCS WWII warbird but it’s plenty entertaining and worth checking out if you’ve never experienced warbird flying. Or if you have but haven’t tried out the Spitfire, it’s unique experience that is worth having.

Some tutorials to get you started

Here are some guides that should get you started flying the Spitfire.

And as always there’s a Chuck’s Guide for that. Check out Chuck’s Guide to the Spitfire IX.

1. Michael Thomas Dwyer says:

Man its tricky at takeoff.

It’s twitchy. I found setting trim before takeoff was pretty essential.

2. JohnHolmes says:

Advice which helped me with take off is use the rudder like a boxer on a punching bag. Quick fast jabs, left right left right.

Great suggestion John. I’ve noticed that works well too!

2. Percy Danvers says:

If you get a chance you should try the BF-109 K-4. It’s a wild ride. It’s incredibly fast, and the armament is good. It really gives you that “hunting” feeling when you fly it, plus the new DB605 engine sound is simply amazing.

3. Warlock says:

Been waiting for this one. Obviously it has its ups and downs and quirks which I like in a Warbird, but I have to address one issue – the graphics. In many areas in the cockpit they really feel subpar. I mean, I have the MiG-15 which launched about… 2 years before the Spit? and the graphics there feel GOOD. Even though the MiG has understandably lower tech visuals, the work they did inside the cockpit is so good that even though it’s visibly aged, it’s still aesthetically pleasing. In the Spit which is 2 years newer the visuals feel really cramped and blurred, especially inside the cockpit. It looks about 2013-2014 to me rather than 2017.

1. Anton Goshta says:

Same here. I was interested in this module. But after I saw those not very high quality(actually ugly) light green textures and unnatural sharp angles(3D model) in the cockpit I’ve changed my mind… I guess I’ll wait for a few years. Maybe ED will update it like they have done with P-51/A-10C/Ka-50. P-51 looks much better now. Even older Fw-190D-9 cockpit seem to be of higher quality. External 3D model is beautiful although, maybe the best of all warbirds.

There has been a move to update older modules so maybe the Spitfire will see that as well. The DCS World engine does make even older cockpits look good but the Spitfire’s is perhaps a bit rougher around the edges.

4. Michael Thomas Dwyer says:

Warlock, I have to agree completely. This is one case where the IL-2 Spitfire Vb looks better than the DCS one. Just purchased the Mig-15 this week and felt the same way. The inside of the cockpit on the Spit just looks bland.

I will have to see what the other warbirds look like, maybe the Fw-190 A8 will be better since it was just released.

1. Warlock says:

Waiting for the FW-190D and especially the BF-109, but I can tell you that the Mustang and I-16 are in today’s standards. Obviously the I-16 is up there because it has just been introduced, and as far as I remember the Mustang has been reworked not a long while ago. Fingers crossed for them to rework the Huey…

5. CanadaOne says:

This thing is twitchy indeed. Nice but it’s all over the place, Gonna take another ride and see how it goes.

This one definitely needs axis tuning (to the tune of 20 points or more) to get it to behave.