The next generation of VIRPIL’s successful throttle lines for flight and space sim pilots alike has just been announced. The MongoosT-50CM3 is VIRPIL’s latest but what sets it apart from the earlier versions? Let’s have a look!
Having a look at the CM3
The CM3 variant of the T-50 throttle series has a few key updates from the earlier design. Although the button layout and overall appearance of the unit doesn’t seem to have been altered in any significant way. There are, however, some key changes and it starts with the return of throttle axis detents. These were a feature on the first generation of the MongoosT-50 (read my review here) but were removed after due to reliability concerns.
Unlike the previous method of installing detents, these are configurable with several different styles:
- “Classic” Detents – Lift to pass detents, push return.
- “Classic Plus” Detents – Lift to pass detents, push return but with an additional tactile bump immediately after crossing the detent range.
- “Warthog-Type” Detents – Lift to pass and lift to return detents.
- “Aerobatic” Detents – Push through and push return detents.
- “CosmoSim” Detents – Push through central detent.
VIRPIL has also released a video detailing the features of this next generation throttle and it includes a better look at how these detents work.
The new throttle also purportedly includes a redesigned lever-locking system. The first generation used a spring loaded tab while later generations used a magnetic system which some have had minor issues with. VIRPIL is, as always, continuing to evolve their peripheral line-up.