A new mini-update on both the DCS: F-16C and DCS: F/A-18C have come out and they detail some of the new features coming to both aircraft. Some of these updates are coming as soon as the next patch while others are on a longer roadmap. Let’s have a look!
Hornet closing in on completion
It’s been a long road but the DCS: F/A-18C Hornet is really starting to come together and there appears to be a lot of momentum at Eagle Dynamics to complete the jet. The next DCS World Open Beta is slated to include this impressive list of new features with notable highlights including the ATFLIR targeting pod, new flare and inventory loading system, and AGM-84K SLAM-ER. Have a look:
- Pre-Briefed (PB) mode for the HARM to include both HRM and A/C sub-modes.
- Pullback (PBLK) mode for the HARM / HRM OVRD.
- Improved HARM TOO handoff for two emitters at once.
- Adjusted AGM-88C HARM flight and seeker dynamics.
- ATFLIR targeting pod.
- Complete remaining Litening targeting pod tasks.
- TDC slew Wide Acquisition (WACQ) ACM mode.
- RAID Single Target Track (STT) mode.
- SPOT radar mode.
- Saving PRF to SET options.
- BRA indication with L&S.
- Coupled (CPL) autopilot mode.
- New flares with increased inventory loading option.
- AGM-84K SLAM-ER.
- New elevation tracking model to resolve JHMCS designation drift.
- Updated flight model, FCS, and drag values.
The new features read like a laundry list of remaining items that have needed attention and while I don’t think this quite pushes the Hornet over the line, it does help it take a large step towards it. Additionally, bugs and other fixes that are required for the module are being tackled according to the update.
Viper soon to ramp up?
At even my most enthusiastic, it’s easy enough to recognize that the DCS: F-16C has made some progress but not as much as it maybe could have. It’s still a good module but there’s a lot of work left to do on it.
In today’s mini-update, we’ve learned that there are four key areas that the DCS: F-16C is being developed for right now:
- Updated flight model dynamics for G and angle of attack.
- Addition of IAM weapons that include JDAM, JSOW, and WCMD.
- Pre-Briefed (PB) mode for the AGM-88C HARM.
- Air-to-Air radar improvements.
After that, Eagle Dynamics intends to turn it’s attention to the following:
- Air-to-Ground radar
- CRUS page
- JHMCS Air-to-Ground mode
- HARM Targeting System (HTS)
- Electronic Countermeasures
- And more.
According to the update, two engineers are dedicated full time to the DCS: F-16C while others rotate in and out as needed. The update also says that, once the F/A-18C is complete, additional resources will be moved from Hornet to Viper.
Of the new features planned, the addition of the JDAM and JSOW as well as the HARM Targeting System (HTS) pod have me most excited. Adding those will considerably boost the types of ways that the F-16 can participate in operations.