We’re here! We’ve made it! The hype for DCS: Mi-24P Hind has been building over the last several days and weeks and now it’s time for Eagle Dynamics to take the wrapper off and open up the DCS: Mi-24P to everyone on the open beta. Let’s take a look!
Hind ready to ascend
The legendary Mi-24 Hind has been in service since the early 1970’s with the USSR and dozens of other countries and now we’re able to fly this helicopter in DCS World. Eagle Dynamics has released this module into early access which means that it’s still in development and several additional features will be made available later.
This is the first module by Eagle Dynamics to feature an AI assistant which can provide upfront gunner capabilities or rear seat piloting. You can effectively trade roles back and forth allowing for maximum flexibility when piloting the helicopter yourself. Multiplayer co-op capability is present too which means you can fly with someone in both seats.
Here are some of the features listed by Eagle Dynamics for early access:
- Professional flight dynamics and engine modelling with high precision characteristics of the real aircraft in all ranges of altitude, temperature and speeds for different weights and flight configurations
- Two 6DOF highly detailed cockpits (RU and EN versions available)
- Fully clickable cockpits with interactive control of all onboard systems with mouse
- Multi-crew. Second crew member can be another player or “Petrovich” AI (basic AI level during early access phase)
- Detailed modeling of the entire electrical, fuel, hydraulic, anti-icing, fire protection, SAS, autopilot and radio systems
- Full modeling of armament and weapons systems with ability to use 30mm cannon, unguided rockets (S-8, S-13, S-24B) and bombs from both cockpits in addition to the guided ATGM 9M114 operated by forward seated pilot-operator
- Standard Russian new and weathered liveries in addition to Iraqi and Syrian schemes
- Early Access manual Russian and English versions
- Training missions
And these features are slated to come by the time of full release:
- Cargohold gunner with KORD machine gun
- Advanced “Petrovich” AI features for pilot or pilot-operator seats
- Addition of ATGM 9M120 (HEAT and HE versions) and R-60M air to air missiles
- Sling cargo operations
- Advanced damage modeling
- Additional liveries and livery template
- Full manual in Russian and English (full list of languages is TBD)
- Campaign by Eagle Dynamics
Eagle Dynamics have also said that Petrovich AI will be upgraded with voice over lines in both Russian and English either before or at full release.
DCS: Mi-24P Hind is currently still available for a pre-order sale of $55.99 USD. The price will soon increase to $69.99 USD.
A lot of content is already out for the DCS: Mi-24 and here are some of the ones that you might want to check out.
Plus, this odd/hilarious video cuts down the start-up process video from several minutes to just 2:30.
I’ll be doing first impressions and an early access review as soon as I’ve been able to spend some time with the helicopter. As usual, I like to take some time and dig into things before writing too much to hang tight and stay tuned!