The autumn season looks to be bringing with it plenty of new development as a new DCS: F-16C Viper mini-update details some new and revised features planned for the DCS World jet next month. Let’s have a look!
Viper gains features big and small
Eagle Dynamic’s Matt Wagner was on the DCS World forums today with a new DCS: F-16 mini-update and it includes an updated list of features that the jet is planned to see by mid-October.
- Air-to-Ground radar in Ground Map (GM) mode.
- HARM Targeting System (HTS) and HARM Attack Display (HAD).
- Bullseye DED page and indications for FCR and HSD pages.
- Addition of the HSD cursor.
- Addition of Mark Points.
- New INS/datalink system for AIM-120 guidance.
- Updated FCR and HSD symbols (color and shape).
- Highly detailed pilot for cockpit view.
- Smoother cursor control.
- Improved MPD clarity.
- Adjusted RWR detection ranges.
- Flight model adjustments including commanded G-onset rate.
- RWS/TWS refinements.
- On-speed AoA airspeed correction.
- Addition of the HMCS DED page.
While many are going to appreciate some of the systems beginning to show some new layers of function, I tend to really appreciate new capabilities and the addition of the Harm Targeting System (HTS) complete with its new pod and the HARM Attack Display should make the F-16 into an even more potent SEAD platform.
We’ve already seen the HTS pod show up in a recent development screenshot detailing the weapon restriction system so that’s hopefully a good indicator of the system working its way towards release.