More dev updates on the MiG-23 from RAZBAM

In a quick update from Ron Zambrano on Twitter, we have some new images of the latest work on the MiG-23MLA from RAZBAM. Let’s have a quick look!

New MiG-23 images

We’ve known for years that RAZBAM has been working on a MiG-23MLA for DCS World. The project is intended to be a follow-up on their MiG-19 project and it’s taken a while to come together. Updates from 2018, 19, 20 and 21 have all shown slow progress on the exterior model and some shots of the cockpit as well.

The latest focus in on the details showing off the MiG-23’s complex landing gear and engine systems.

I know the question on the tip of everyone’s tongue right now is will 2022 be the year that this jet comes together. I don’t think we know that or can know that. This is undoubtedly a long term project, one that’s produced some beautiful results, from a modeler that is already familiar with how to build for DCS World thanks to the work done on the MiG-19.

I think when the time comes, this project will come together rather quickly. But I don’t know if that will be a 2022 or sometime later. DCS jets do take time to build and of course the MiG-23 is no simple jet. But it is yet another type that will eventually arrive and help fill out the cold war jet inventory very nicely!

1. CanadaOne says:

I’m happy to read about this, but I admit to a certain frustration with the glacial development process involved with some of the planes. It seems that the digital representation of a plane is close to or exceeds the time it took to develop and build the plane in real life. That said, I know nothing about writing code, so maybe it just is what it is.

Flight sims are weird. A lot of flight sim content developers are just one or two people. In the case of the MiG-23 there’s just one person (to the best of my knowledge) working on it. They have enormous talents but its not something they likely do as part of their day job. So… it takes a while.

MiG-23 isn’t even had the programming stage. This is art 🙂

1. CanadaOne says:

One person? Really? I admire their abilities and perseverance but it does seem less than efficient from a business point of view. I’m not trying to be negative, it just seems that the development process might render the product (more or less) obsolete on some level before the thing is even built. It would be like some guy who started a plane for P3D in 2019 and just having it done now, only to come face to face with FS2020.

But, again, I don’t want to be too negative. I’m sure it will be very nice and I’d be happy to have it. Preferably tomorrow if possible.

You’d be surprised at how many of the flight sim products we have are developed by a team of one or two. A lot of DCS projects are very small teams that spend years building a very detailed aircraft rather than a big studio effort.

RAZBAM has multiple artists working on projects and then a small core of developers that then help make those become a reality. Heatblur I think is now a bit bigger with multiple core teams with their own devs but they still take a long time to do things.

Over on the civil side there are lots of one and two person devs. Even some of the big projects have just a very small core. It’s how things get done in this niche but expensive genre.

I’m not sure if its ideal but just the reality that exists.

I’ve no doubt that the MiG-23 will be impressive from an artists point of view when it arrives. We’ll see how the programming goes when it gets there. But that could be a while yet!

2. Gretsch_Man says:

The Mig-23 has been on my radar for quite some time now. A 2022 release would be great news. However, due to the ongoing development of both the F-15E and the South Atlantic map, I don’t expect the Mig-23 to arrive in 2022. I think a 2023 release to be more likely. But who knows…

3. nickitarius says:

Knowing that the coding for the plane hasn’t even started yet, I highly doubt it would be able to be released in this year. Especially if it continues being low priority like now. I just hope that it will come out in extremely good quality, to compensate for the long time we had to wait.