Star Wars Squadrons is free to claim until Dec 3

Last year I reviewed Star Wars Squadrons as part of a brief diversion away from my usual flight sim content. It was a ton of fun and served as a kind of spiritual successor to some old favourites like TIE Fighter and X-Wing that I played in my more formative years. I played it a ton at launch but a lack of follow up content following the release of the B-Wing and TIE Defender kind of put a damper and I think many people walked away. Now its free to grab between now and December 3 and that’s worth a mention!

Fun Star Wars flying

I’m on a bit of a Star Wars high after recently re-watching Rogue One and tuning in each week for the latest episode of Andor. That had me thinking about returning to Star Wars Squadrons again and playing through that a bit more. It had some fun, albeit flawed, multiplayer modes and the single player campaign was fun though a bit jarring if you wanted to just fly for the Empire or for the Rebels.

Visually and aurally impressive, this was a fun game to play when you’re not dodging missiles in DCS World, landing machine gun hits in IL-2, or navigating the world in X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator. My review of Squadrons was pretty positive despite a few glitches with controls and an initial lack of TrackIR support – both solved in later updates.

Now, multiple news outlets (here, here and here) are reporting that the Epic Store is offering the game that you can claim for free from now until December 3rd. If I understand how it works, you’ll still have it to play after that point.

If you want to claim it, setup an account on the Epic Games store and pick it up here.

Meh. Another Star Wars defeat snatched from the jaws of victory:
    1. Develop Engine (done)
    2. Copy and paste X-Wing
    3. Copy and paste Tie Fighter
    4. Watch cash flow in

But, somehow, no. Clearly I lack the genius to understand the great minds behind this fiendishly clever scheme.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

I know what you mean. I loved those old games… but I do suspect that the headwinds to doing just a straight up update were probably that modern gaming has changed an awful lot. It needed classes and cosmetics and they did a pretty good job of meeting that requirement.

I think the execution was good but the staying power wasn’t there because we had no new content to look forward to. We’re a bit spoiled with IL-2, DCS and others that these titles have been living on our hard drives for years slowly adding more stuff. That’s the way!

2. harryvoyager says:

You may also check out X-Wing Alliance Upgrade: X-Wing Alliance Upgrade

I believe X-Wing Alliance is still for sale of Good Old Games, and the upgrade packages give it a lot of new capabilities, including VR support.

I believe they’ve also been able to get a remake of TIE Fighter out in the engine as well. I think there are some folks working on X-Wing as well, but there is a good bit of mission rebalancing they have to get sorted.

I’ve heard good things about that upgrade project!

I really got into the series when TIE Fighter came out. Played the whole thing plus the two expansions. Those were great missions!

I know this is an oft-used phrase, but my jaw literally just dropped. I had no idea. I may have just developed a nasty ‘flu and have to go home, lest I infect my colleagues.

Harry, if we ever meet, I owe you a pint or 7.

God bless the internet and those crazy diamonds out there.

3. BlueHeron says:

I used to be a huge X-Wing v Tie Fighter and X-wing alliance fan. I’m glad they’re keeping the adventure alive, but after so many years of DCS and Il-2, I just can’t enjoy this now. To much of a game with gamey elements (UI overlays, XP points, etc.)

I’m a little disappointed in that because I’m still a mega Star Wars fan, but the love’s just not there anymore. 😉

Tie Fighter with the Imperial internal war expansion. SP in a way that no longer exists. Those were the days.

Us old school simmers remember how it was with those titles. Gaming has changed a lot but IL-2 and DCS have found a pretty good way to fly through the middle point and give us some of the modern gaming without the need for collectible hats (can you imagine?).

True, but it can also feel soulless. The scripted campaigns are far more interesting than the – honestly quite poor – engine generated examples. Would you watch Andor or a few actors in Star Wars costume making it up on the fly?

Now, an Elite Dangerous-style game as an open-path smuggler in the Star Wars Universe would blow minds.

That’d be amazing!

3. Mr_Blastman says:

No love? Try Star Wars Interworlds for X4 and be amazed. Prepare to live in the Star Wars universe.

1. BlueHeron says:

Wow, that actually looks way better than Squadrons! Wish I had spent my time on this Interworlds instead.

2. Mr_Blastman says:

It is quite amazing. The economy is intricate, living, and breathing. Every ship you see has a purpose and you can play however you wish, from straggly pirate to monopolistic empire builder, while commanding fleets or flying fighters from first person–to even the Millenium Falcon. I can’t go back to Freespace 2/X-Wing style win or else missions anymore.