It’s our third weekend in a row where Eagle Dynamics’s Matt Wagner (or Wags) has taken us on a tour of the DCS: Persian Gulf map. This tour show cased some of the smaller islands in the Strait of Hormuz and gave Matt an opportunity to do some more Q&A with fans of DCS.
Live Stream Recap
As I mentioned before, this third live stream offered up another look at some of the terrain for the DCS: Persian Gulf map. Since live stream #2, the map has gone on sale for pre-order with a small discount which should be in place until May.
These are my notes highlighting the Q&A session today. There are a few acronyms that I am not familiar with so hopefully I’ve got them all right in the Q&A. Please let me know in the comments if I’m missing something!
- Wags is heading to Minsk and Moscow so no new videos for about three weeks
- When back, more weapon systems should be operational and he’ll be showing off more of those as time goes on
- Will the new Hornet texture template be released?
- Will be when ED are sure that the model is done 100%
- How often do ED taken inspiration from wishlist/threads/etc.
- Matt says quite often
- Especially for aircraft, ED uses these to gauge customer reaction towards new aircraft and what the community wants
- New features for the mission editor and AI routines
- The raindrops
- Big factor of what we do
- Improve current options for spawn on a waypoint server
- The new Nimitz will be a big part of this
- First phase TACAN, catapult steam, etc.
- Second phase will include parking, ramp, and hot start on the carrier
- Third phase will be the deck crew, animated and quite accurate
- Upgraded models for ships/aircraft
- Arleigh Burke-class is coming
- S-3 tanker
- SH-60/HA-60 needs an overhaul
- Super Hornet, if done, will need to be a really great model as there’s a lot of great
- Will we see King Abdula Aziz airbase in SA
- Not currently planned
- Will need hardware tech to catch-up to make bigger maps
- The map is 350 nm on a side, anything larger and we’ll see significant performance loss
- FAQ mentions CASE I, II, III operations, will the Nimitz have functional catapults, etc.
- Aircraft will have functional TACAN, IFLOSS, CASE I launch and recovery operations
- Later will implement ICLS for CASE III
- ATFLIR, JDAM,
- After the early access weapons, HARM will probably be next
- ATFLIR and JDAM should be coming sometime before the end of the year
- Pre-purchase map area
- What you see is what you get right now
- Potential to expand the map later on
- Plans to add Iranian ships and anti-ship missiles?
- Current emphasis is on skins
- Will be moving to having shore based anti-ship missiles
- In the queue and planned for later this year
- Full DCS: MiG-29 level aircraft? Not at this point
Fans of DCS have been asking for rainstreaked canopies for the longest time and we’ve got our first look at that coming yesterday just a day before the live stream.
It’s a work in progress but if its anything like what IL-2 can do, it should be pretty impressive looking and add considerably to the immersion level while sitting in some of these aircraft.