DCS offers additional NS 430 GPS options to e-store

The DCS: NS 430 GPS unit continues to draw some criticism from some corners of the community with the latest news surrounding the NS 430 and its availability in two new forms for DCS World. This is all part of the latest DCS World Weekend News.

More NS 430 GPS options

NS430-2-Mods.jpg

The NS 430 GPS is made by Garmin in real life and is popular in aviation circles. In DCS, its first appearance was in the cockpit of the Mi-8MTV2 as an optional add-in. This gives the Mi-8 an advanced GPS capability for navigation that it otherwise lacks.

Now, the latest offerings offer two options. The first integrates the NS 430 into the cockpit of the L-39 and a second option offers a 2D floating window implementation that can fit into a whole bunch of aircraft including the WWII warbirds – bringing GPS to these aircraft.

Authentically for WWII operations, this of course would be sacrilege but if operating as a “warbird” in modern day then the GPS option is open to you.

Controversy?

Eagle Dynamics has chosen to make the DCS: NS 430 GPS available separately for the Mi-8MTV2, for the L-39, and in a third iteration with the 2D floating window.  This third option is able to be used in a wide variety of aircraft as I mentioned before. Each is sold separately.

Selling separately in three packages rather than spreading them across all modules evenly has caused some players to accuse Eagle Dynamics of “nickle and diming” them for every piece of an aircraft. Some players feel that Eagle Dynamics shouldn’t do this and this model has already caused controversy in the past.

The 3D integrated versions of the NS 430 are available for $5.99 of the Mi-8 and L-39 separately and the 2D version available for multiple aircraft is up for $10.99. Bundle options are also available from the store.

See more information on the DCS World Weekend News.

1. Trudy says:

Just at the release of the NS430 I expected such a product policy in near future. I would even consider that one day ED wants to make us pay for every single weapon in form of dlcs for each plane. This could happen if the customers start to buy everything without using their brain.
    But this mess still can be avoided. Its all up to everybody of us. Everybody can discipline the developer by just NOT buying everything right after the release.
    You can say: Rewarding a specific behavior will cause more of this specific behavior. Its really that simple.

Making players pay for each weapon does seem like an extreme example. Hopefully we aren’t going that direction.

So far we’ve seen no evidence of it and the NS 430 I can only hold up as limited evidence of that.

Still, I understand the concern. ED would be wise not to go that way.

2. Mischiew Rithe says:

Haha, indeed, I see there are threads sprouting up all over the forums, from people who are either confused because they need to buy the 2D version as a requirement for the 3D version, or who are pretty sure the initial offer included future support for all aircraft, then there is the special case of the VR, and so on…

For a tool which is supposed to show which way to go, I’d say it’s a bad start 😀

This situation definitely has some irony to it! ☺️

3. Francesco Kasta says:

I am not really interested in this product and I don’t think I’ll ever consider buying it. Yet, I can’t help but think I don’t like where this is going.

I have the impression that both their development plan and business plan are getting messier by the minute.

It is a weird situation and one that I hope doesn’t hold portents for the future. We are seeing Eagle Dynamics charge more for individual items. The Hornet and fully realized Nimitz model (still WIP) are supposed to be sold separately. I’m actually satisfied with what they have now (a few bugs aside) so I’m not sure how much more than can offer with that.

I do hope we don’t see something like charging per weapon system. I don’t particularly like that from a multiplayer equity perspective or for the potentially slippery slope that it represents.

The GPS may be a unique situation because of some sort of expensive licensing scenario (by Garmin for example). We don’t fully know the full back story on the module.

We’ll see where this goes.