IL-2: Great Battles fans have been waiting anxiously for the launch of the Me262 for IL-2: Battle of Bodenplatte and as of earlier today, it has arrived! It comes with an 80 point change list including Flying Circus aircraft in the form of the S.E.5a and Albatross D.Va and a new tank for Tank Crew in the form of the T-34-76 UVZ. There’s lots to be excited about!
With a patch log with 80 points on it there’s a lot to digest and so I encourage you to reach the full notes if you want to know everything. For my part I like to give some highlights so here are some things that stand out for me:
- New 4K textures for Bf109F-4 and FW190A-8
- Active reprojection won’t cause a rotating propeller to flicker for VR pilots
- A long list of AI updates that make the AI fly and fight better/more realistically
- New visual effects for tanks including smoke in the cabin, visible vapour from tank exhaust when the tank engine is overheating
- A bug affecting all Flying Circus aircraft propellers gave them more power than they should have.
- New gear options for tanks with maximal gear limits and transmission damage causing gear difficulties
- Engine throttle positions now matter during start-up for all aircraft
Of course in addition to these features are the aforementioned new aircraft and the new tank.
I was very pleased to be able to meet IL-2 community member Requiem at FS Expo 2019 this past weekend and he walked me through a lot of the features of the Me262, how to fly it, how to start it, and some of the details that the team has built in that really bring this aircraft up to new levels of simulation standard that just weren’t there in the original IL-2.
I highly and strongly recommend you check out his tutorial on how to really fly the Me262 if you want to fly it seriously. It needs some know-how before you get going with it.
Full patch notes are here so make sure you check out those and if you haven’t already… open up your IL-2 Launcher or Steam to get the latest patch.