First look at Normandy’s Spitfire XIV

This week’s developer diary from 1CGS is very short but it’s one packing some great new information on an aircraft that I’ve wanted to fly for a very long time – the Spitfire XIV. We have some interesting new details on this Collector Plane addition to Battle of Normandy and how it’s development is going and what it will include when released into the sim.

A couple of variants and some high performance options

The news from Han from 1CGS this week is that they are building the Spitfire XIV with both C-wing and E-wing armament configurations. This means that we’ll have the traditional two 20mm Hispano Mark II cannons and four Browning .303 machine guns in the C-wing variant as well as the two 20mm Hispano Mark II cannons and two Browning .50cal machine guns in the E-wing. You may be familiar with that configuration on the Spitfire IXe already in the sim.

And the good news doesn’t end there. The 150 octane boost option will also be available giving the Spitfire XIV a near 30 mph boost in top speed performance at lower altitudes – useful for chasing V-1 ‘Buzz’ bombs.

A selection of screenshots shows off the new fighter currently with the C-wing. Han reports that we’ll see the E-wing version later.

According to Han, work on this fighter is still at an early stage and in a recent interview it was mentioned that this fighter would likely come in early 2021. It’s likely that we’ll still have to wait a while for this aircraft to show up in our hangars but when it does I think it will make quite a splash.

I’ve been waiting to fly a Spitfire XIV in a sim for quite a long time. The last time I got to fly one of these was in Dynamix’s Aces Over Europe. So it will be difficult to contain my excitement when this finally does arrive.

The Mark Fourteen

The Spitfire Mark XIV will be the third Spitfire model added to the IL-2: Great Battles Series and it represents one of the highest performing fighters of World War II. The Griffon 65 engine in the Spitfire XIV was a more powerful follow-on of the Merlin engine requiring a redesigned and lengthened cowl, a larger tail section to help manage stability issues, and larger radiators.

The result of all of these changes was a fighter that had an engine capable of producing over 2,000 hp and a top speed of 465 mph at high altitudes and a climb rate around 5,000 feet a minute. Spitfire XIV’s were also used to chase V-1’s and in these cases they were enhanced with 150 octane fuel allowing boost pressures up to somewhere around +21lbs. Some of these low altitude V-1 chasers were able to reach speeds of around 400 mph at sea level.

The Spitfire XIV will be able to match other high performance fighters including the Bf109K-4, Fw190D-9, P-51D, and act as a friendly rival the Tempest Mark V which should make for some interesting scenarios – and no doubt a few arguments too.

The Spitfire XIV was not without its foibles. The increased power and torque on the narrow track landing gear caused many accidents including a number of ground loops and despite the increased power and overall similar handling, some Spitfire pilots much preferred the Spitfire V or Spitfire IX to this later model type. It should be an interesting experience to have in a sim. I can’t wait!

Check out this week’s developer diary!

1. Doctor Drago says:

Hubba. HUBBA.

Oh yeah! This looks great!

2. bigalrico says:

I feel the same! Can’t wait to get my hands on her. I hope they will also include the option for clipped wings and the (almost) iconic mirror 🙂

Hopefully clipped wings is an option. It’s been suggested to me too that the Spitfire XIVe might also include the bubble canopy giving us both styles of Griffon Spitfire. That’s not confirmed but there’s a small chance!

1. bigalrico says:

This would be my absolute dream! But I don’t think it will happen since they would need to rework the back for the new canopy. I’m hopefully wrong 😉

Beautiful!

I hope that they are not simply reusing the IX E wing and other bits because they need elements from a Mk. VIII (possibly the best all-round Spit). Likewise, adding a C wing to the IX cannot simply take that from the XIV. Bit like the 190 A-6: very close but actually requires new bits.

This will be a smasher!

Someone already pointed out in the forum that the aileron needs to be adjusted as the Spitfire VIII/XII/XIV aileron is different and of different length. So obviously some work in progress to do… and definitely not a copy and paste job.

Jason’s estimate from the most recent Q&A was that the Spitfire XIV would come in late 2020 or early 2021 so it may be a while yet.

Ah, cool. The wing was strengthened as well, which alongside the shorter aileron I think increased roll response as it reduced wing twist when applying roll. Generally, the VIII line is a 2nd Gen Spit with a refining of the airframe and sufficient stiffening to allow greater carriage. The VIIIs IIRC also has an additional leading-edge wing tank which was why they were used more in the Med and Asia.

Maybe with all their free time, they could also add an VIII.. 😎

4. HBPencil says:

I’m a Spitfire fan and the XIV is one of my favorites, so I’m looking forward to flying her. I haven’t said this over at the IL-2 forums but the one possible downer to this aircraft is I suspect the engine audio will follow in the foot steps of other aircraft in that the cockpit engine audio will be fine but the external engine audio won’t be… I say this as I’m one of those weirdos who thinks the Griffon sounds better than the Merlin 😉